Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

14 hours ago, steviemay17 said:

I've actually forgotten about this from last night until now, there was a moment at 3-1, we got a break of the ball in the midfield and some tried to slip Hendry in behind. He just stood there, didn't offer short, didn't try to get in behind, just stood and sort of laughed at whoever tried to play the ball when they went nuts at him (Want to say Muzz but can't be sure) before just standing still on the spot as they brought it out of defence and the Gala player was able to take all the time he needed to knock it into an attacking area again

It was Jason Kerr I’m fairly sure

Tbf to Hendry I thought he was right on that instance, we'd failed to run their CBs all match so dropping off and linking play wasn't a daft choice.

Centre backs need to be braver in possession in games like that, rather than just thumping the ball into channels for 90 minutes.

It was Jason Kerr. Burst out with the ball and found himself on the right wing, knackered. Played a good ball into the space between the two defenders expecting a run from Callum but it was never gonna happen. He’s playing like a man who doesn’t want to be there. And it astounds me that he’s still getting picked. I know we’re probably trying to put him in the shop window but at this rate all he’s gonna earn himself is a season at Kelty Hearts

edit: as per @RandomGuy it wasn’t a ball into the channel, Kerr was on the wing and played it into the centre of the pitch but to be fair to Hendry Jason hadn’t actually looked up to see if the run was being made, but I’ve been that knackered centre half making that run expecting the forward to go finish the work because the last thing you want is to go play link up

Edited by TheRealNumber5

50 minutes ago, TheRealNumber5 said:

edit: as per @RandomGuy it wasn’t a ball into the channel, Kerr was on the wing and played it into the centre of the pitch but to be fair to Hendry Jason hadn’t actually looked up to see if the run was being made, but I’ve been that knackered centre half making that run expecting the forward to go finish the work because the last thing you want is to go play link up

Tbf I sit at the very front so don't get a great view of these things from my seat, and haven't watched the game back.

I just think Hendry has become a soft target for folk now while others get a free pass. It'll sound harsh but I think McCart and Kerr were shown up on Thursday, especially McCart who was constantly caught up the park and didn't have the agilty/pace to get back. Both brave on the ball in the league but at this level, when you need them to keep the ball and help the CMs, they just reverted to shelling it whenever they could, and I don't think that was the plan.

I'm not saying they're bad defenders or that, just that it helped confirm in my mind that talk of either playing in the EPL is nonsense. McCann is the only one in our squad with a chance of making it to that level.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I judge Hendry on what he has done on the pitch for St Johnstone. He had a purple patch as a 10 minute sub, which lasted about 2 and a half months, 2 years ago. Since then he has done f**k all, been loaned out to the wrong club and has looked disinterested. Take a break from football at this level laddie, rekindle the love affair or find a new one outside of football.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf I sit at the very front so don't get a great view of these things from my seat, and haven't watched the game back.

I just think Hendry has become a soft target for folk now while others get a free pass. It'll sound harsh but I think McCart and Kerr were shown up on Thursday, especially McCart who was constantly caught up the park and didn't have the agilty/pace to get back. Both brave on the ball in the league but at this level, when you need them to keep the ball and help the CMs, they just reverted to shelling it whenever they could, and I don't think that was the plan.

I'm not saying they're bad defenders or that, just that it helped confirm in my mind that talk of either playing in the EPL is nonsense. McCann is the only one in our squad with a chance of making it to that level.

I watched the game back last night and have disagree a bit RG. Not with your assessment that they're maybe not EPL level and that to get there they'd need to be better with the ball at their feet and probably a bit quicker, I think that's fair enough. The bit I disagree with is that shelling it wasn't in the plan. I think that was absolutely CD's gameplan  but particularly in the second half and definitely when we went 3-2-5. 

Pretty sure that CD was playing to our limitations, not much point in trying to play through the middle with marauding CBs and leaving us exposed when they inevitably nick the ball and break. 

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Pretty sure that CD was playing to our limitations, not much point in trying to play through the middle with marauding CBs and leaving us exposed when they inevitably nick the ball and break. 

Impossible to really know either way without him saying it, but it's never felt like our plan in games v stronger opponents is just lashing it. Games v Rangers/Celtic it felt like we tried to be brave in possession.

No Bryson or Wotherspoon a huge blow.

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Impossible to really know either way without him saying it, but it's never felt like our plan in games v stronger opponents is just lashing it. Games v Rangers/Celtic it felt like we tried to be brave in possession.

No Bryson or Wotherspoon a huge blow.

Just had a conversation about Fitzpatrick with a couple of guys from QOTS they said that they doubted if he was good enough for premiership..He has pace and some ability but is a bit lazy and does not track back...They said that he looks great in training but does not produce it on match days 

I'm sure our coaching staff will have enough information about the laddie to make an informed decision. 

And if not, RandomGuy can provide the rest in colourful graphical form.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I wanted us to sign him for well over a year.

Ah I see! Yes, he was a stand out for me today, quick, running in behind, taking players on, good crosses, good at cutting inside. Motherwell could do nothing but launch him in the air.

6 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Ah I see! Yes, he was a stand out for me today, quick, running in behind, taking players on, good crosses, good at cutting inside. Motherwell could do nothing but launch him in the air.

How your green dot felt...

ce586ce327acc7afe37cf3859ae339a0.gif.0f09a9a5f5f0dddab13b50f04a97262b.gif