Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, McG said:

Prepare to laugh 😉

Our social media will be incredible, folk have been in tears for weeks every time hes in a Rangers squad for friendlies.

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I heard a wee rumour yesterday and it made me actually excited. 

Middleton wasn't mentioned in the conversation 

I liked Middleton but we need permanent deals now, too many loans at the club considering we're likely losing a few permanently.

When Rotherham were sniffing about May In 2014 you could’ve made a decent argument on why they were a good side to join. Recently promoted to the championship, new ground and on an upwards trajectory.

7 years on, they’ve just had a 3rd relegation from the championship in that time and are up against some stiff competition for promotion. They’ve an owner who seems disinterested in proper investment to be consistent at championship level.

If a club like Luton, Blackpool or Coventry were showing interest you’d be a bit more tempted considering they’ll be looking at pushing for mid table

2 minutes ago, Bose said:

I’ve no idea how these things work but if the player is desperate to go, I would sell him and throw a lump of the money at Kerr and McCart 

There is zero chance us getting anywhere near the money Kerr/McCart being offered down South, IMO.

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There is zero chance us getting anywhere near the money Kerr/McCart being offered down South, IMO.

I agree but at the moment I’m not sure there are any bids for those two from down south. I know there is reported interest but that’s to be expected right now. Now I think the chance of us keeping them is probably slim but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. 

2 minutes ago, Bose said:

I agree but at the moment I’m not sure there are any bids for those two from down south. I know there is reported interest but that’s to be expected right now. Now I think the chance of us keeping them is probably slim but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. 

There will be interest, and their agents will already be talking to sides about next Summer. Theres a slim chance of Kerr staying another year maybe, due to his connection to the club, but I'd say theres zero chance of McCart/Rooney staying. Club will make offers that they think they are worth, and leave them on the table, but I'd guess McCart will be off to the Championship and we won't get near any club down there financially, so theres nothing to entice him to stay beyond some birthday caird pish.

No idea what Rooneys thinking about with Rotherham, mind you, presumably his agents given them some kind of encouragement before they started bidding.

6 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Here's some naivety creeping in but Rooney is 24 and we're his 6th club. Maybe he's ready to try and get a bit of stability.

You'd hope Rotherham f**k off this week, and he stays for the season at least, tbh. 

I've said before I think Saints can be too slow getting deals that are attainable done but when it comes to the deals themselves, I think they are usually shown to be in the right and that's a big part of our success. 

Especially with Stevie Grieve now on board, they will do the right thing with Rooney, McCart and indeed any other players, incoming or outgoing. Saints achieve success primarily through good coaching and management, not by throwing money at players. 

8 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Here's some naivety creeping in but Rooney is 24 and we're his 6th club. Maybe he's ready to try and get a bit of stability.

I’d have thought going to a yo-yo club down south is a fairly unstable path tbh.

Unless the money is ridiculously good this proposed deal is only really any good for Rotherham. If Rooney put in another good season here, playing in a system that suits him and with a manager who gets a lot out of him, he could sign a pre contract - probably at Championship level and on better money - in January. If he goes to Rotherham and doesn’t make an immediate impact his career could go completely the opposite direction.

£200k to take one of our key players a week before important European games is a crap deal for Saints. Unless the transfer fees are at a much higher level than that we just leave ourselves short for games that could earn us many, many multiples of that if we get through.

I’d agree with both you you in fairness. Yes we shouldn’t be worried about a players moving on, but this is a squad we’ve watched on tv screens for a season. It feels a bit cruel to immediately see them all leave the second we’re allowed back into grounds.

Rooney has become one of, if not the most important players to have played for St Johnstone. His legacy would never be tarnished, but it feels an insult that if he was to move on, it’s to a club like Rotherham.