Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

42 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

Apologies if this was discussed for Preston, but how strict are those arrival slots for seats? I stupidly picked the one that says I need to turn up mega early tomorrow, but are they actually that important?

4 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Slow reveal of away kit incoming...

What's wrong with these p***ks? Protesting that he wouldn't want to watch 2 random teams.

Just the usual though. Obsessed. 

United fans, aww bless. Mind when  united were relevant. Maybe when the merger happens they will have something meaningful to shout about. 

5 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Only player you would even consider out of that lot would be Hallberg, but you would not consider putting anything near a £250k value on him.

Fully expect McCart to be away by this time next year one way or another, but would rather it was not to a scottish team.

If Hibs seem to think they will get 7 figures for Porteous, stick at least 20% sell on to McCart in any deal as he is a much better player. 

Theres zero chance we take Gullan or Campbell as part of a swap deal, neither deserve stuck ahead of the young players we already have. Theres zero chance we sign Darren McGregor at all IMO.

Drey Wright and Hallberg would want far too much money to sit on the bench every week.

Sounds like a rumour a fan makes up tbh, and I suspect thats what it is.

I don't even know who Campbell is. 

I think they will move McCart and Rooney on before the window closes. The positive now is that with a HoR in place, the club should have a list of potential replacements and will be able to move quickly. 

For all the manager speaks about not wanting to rip the heart out of squad, you don't want to keep players that don't want to be at the club.

I don't even know who Campbell is. 
I think they will move McCart and Rooney on before the window closes. The positive now is that with a HoR in place, the club should have a list of potential replacements and will be able to move quickly. 
For all the manager speaks about not wanting to rip the heart out of squad, you don't want to keep players that don't want to be at the club.
100%. If not signing extensions... Time to let them go so we get a decent transfer fee. Yeah it's crap but it's the nature of the beast.

25 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Time to let them go so we get a decent transfer fee. Yeah it's crap but it's the nature of the beast.

This will be another benefit of having a HoR, IMO. Having contingencies in place for when players leave means its not a disaster when players leave, so you're in a position where you can take the fee and not be stuck with a player who wants out.

Losing McCart/Rooney this window would be hard, and they'll be hard to replace with players who can come in and perform straight away, but at least we stand a chance if its been planned for. Too often with Saints it feels like everything is reactive rather than proactive. Thats definitely not something we'll have to worry about now I reckon.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Losing McCart/Rooney this window would be hard, and they'll be hard to replace with players who can come in and perform straight away.

Let's just wait and see. McCart came in with absolutely no one saying he was a stand out at his previous club, they actually said the other CB was better equipped for Premiership football.  He fitted in from day one just fine. Rooney was derided on here by everyone who had seen him play apart from ICT fans. Fair enough he's shite in a back 4 or as CB, as a wing back arriving late at the back post he's a beautiful big bearded b*****d though. Two bang average championship players who combined have had 2 seasons first team football in the top league, if we were to get between 500 and 800,000 for both then I'd say take it, especially if they are stalling on extensions. 

There are two interesting aspects to the Grieve appointment. 

If Saints can get deals done this week that make you think the player has been put forward by him, it shows how quickly he can work, a huge improvement on previously. 

Then obviously there is how good the players are. I don't have an up-to-date list but I'd reckon the strike rate since Tommy Wright took over is only around 50%. A lot of the good ones have been very good which has glossed over some others but we've wasted a lot of money in the past seven or eight years. 

Edited by Radford

There are two interesting aspects to the Grieve appointment. 
If Saints can get deals done this week that make you think the player has been put forward by him, it shows how quickly he can work, a huge improvement on previously. 
Then obviously there is how good the players are. I don't have an up-to-date list but I'd reckon the strike rate since Tommy Wright took over is only around 50%. A lot of the good ones have been very good which has glossed over some others but we've wasted a lot of money in the past seven or eight years. 

It’s only now looking back I’ve realised how much money we blew on players with Tommy Wright.

The issue with Wrights signings was that his marquee “Jewel” players he’s always go on about we’re never close to being worth the money. The likes of Scougall just didn’t fit the system or justify the outlay in them. 

As we all know there's no sure thing and having a head of recruitment doesn't necessarily mean we'll see an improvement, certainly not immediately. 

Some of the signings Tommy made that turned out to be failure's you couldn't blame him for signing at the time. McMillan, a guy scoring European goals that on the outside seeming hungry to make the step up to full time football. That's the kind of market Saints are in, signing those players who are keen to prove themselves. That's why the likes of MOH and Swanson were successful signings. 

Scougall as well. Even the likes of Drey Wright, he wasn't a "bad" signing. 

There's the polar opposite though and the just complete gambles. Vihman top of that list. 

The likes of Gormley strikes me as a real lack of homework and panic signing. Surely we could have easily found out he was looking/needing a return home for his wellbeing? Morgan another one, surely it was easy enough to find out that his attitude stunk.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Massive roar as that was announced with two minutes to go at the friendly today.

0-0 and really just a fitness exercise. Would have liked to have seen the full starting XI all on the park at once. First half we were crying out for a run in behind or to drive at them down the right but none of the personnel on at the time were really likely to offer that. Pleasing that the new arrivals and the younger guys coming in play the system well and that really allows us to change things up a lot without losing the structure.

Not sure if Hendry will last much longer with us. One sensational bit of skill to play in McCart and a brilliant bit of pressing to rob the defender of the ball that should have led to a goal, but spent a lot of the game not contributing a lot and put in one completely unnecessary bogging tackle that would have been a yellow for sure in a real game.

Great work out for the squad today. However I have a horrible feeling we are going to struggle to get goals again this season. Guess the transfer window is still young…

Did anyone film the Rooney cheer with the trophies towards the east stand?