Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Tanser was always apparently one who needed virtually molly coddled by his manager. Told he's a great player and a stick on to start or his head would go.

Clearly Davidson was just honest with him, while Goodwin was in his ear from January whispering sweet nothings, and his wee pea heart has begun fluttering at the mere thought of having to improve his game and stop being a shitebag defensively.

38 minutes ago, Radford said:

Maybe Scott thought he was going to have to literally fight Booth for his place? 

No room for shitebags at St Johnstone. 

I think instead of singing on tables as initiation they should do three 3 minute rounds with the captain. If you lose you can't get a contract no matter how good you are with a football.

I can see it now , we go out to Galatasaray and then have to face BATE Borisov in the conference league and due to the EU flight ban to Belarus the play off round is two neutral games.

No games in Perth, no fans at any of our European ties.

2 hours ago, Old Pack said:

If she wouldn’t let 300 Saints fans   In a 52000 stadium for the Cup final she’s doing f**k all for this cause either.

Might be being thick here but as far as I can tell there's nothing that the Scottish Government can do about this?

It's entirely down to Westminster, although the SFA and possibly UEFA could lobby? The latter would be the only ones with a chance of being listened to and the only route around it seems to be an exemption, which seems extremely unlikely as no English teams or any other major sports seem to be impacted. 

Celtic could be about to hit something similar as the Netherlands have the UK on a red list so should they get through they will need the dutch government to grant them an exemption.

With so many nations having different rules the UEFA competitions could be a mess this year.

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Might be being thick here but as far as I can tell there's nothing that the Scottish Government can do about this?

It's entirely down to Westminster, although the SFA and possibly UEFA could lobby? The latter would be the only ones with a chance of being listened to and the only route around it seems to be an exemption, which seems extremely unlikely as no English teams or any other major sports seem to be impacted. 

UEFA don't want to lobby on this. That why they have Annex I on the rules for this season where governments put restrictions in place.

1 minute ago, realmadrid said:

Celtic could be about to hit something similar as the Netherlands have the UK on a red list so should they get through they will need the dutch government to grant them an exemption.

With so many nations having different rules the UEFA competitions could be a mess this year.

But might make an exemption more likely?

5 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

But might make an exemption more likely?

That will be entirely up to the government of the Netherlands.

If away fans were allowed this would be a total nightmare for clubs.

Different nations have different rules due to Covid and then you throw in the Belarus flight ban so games are being moved all over the place.

Does anyone know why elite sport isnt an exemption?

Up there with the best and efficient testing regimes available. Elite sport while I appreciate isn't a critical business this is not the midst of the lockdown, if you're about to remove "nearly all restrictions" then surely you're in a position where professional sports should be allowed to travel While following the rules in place.

If they all return negative tests pre and post arrival I really am struggling with the pedanticness of it. Especially when it's worse here than in Turkey. Hotel - train - hotel - game - travel back to Turkey is basically all they'll do and vice versa when Saints go there. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Does anyone know why elite sport isnt an exemption?

Up there with the best and efficient testing regimes available. Elite sport while I appreciate isn't a critical business this is not the midst of the lockdown, if you're about to remove "nearly all restrictions" then surely you're in a position where professional sports should be allowed to travel While following the rules in place.

If they all return negative tests pre and post arrival I really am struggling with the pedanticness of it. Especially when it's worse here than in Turkey. Hotel - train - hotel - game - travel back to Turkey is basically all they'll do and vice versa when Saints go there. 

Not that it matters as it's not the UK government, but Turkey of course have a squad at the Olympics in multiple bubbles across a range of elite sports.

It's a stinger but I guess there's nothing anyone can do. Resigned to it now and if there's a miracle, then that's a bonus.

BTW it's 'pedantry', not 'pedanticness'. Apologies for being pedantic.

Just now, Valentino Bolognese said:

Not that it matters as it's not the UK government, but Turkey of course have a squad at the Olympics in multiple bubbles across a range of elite sports.

It's a stinger but I guess there's nothing anyone can do. Resigned to it now and if there's a miracle, then that's a bonus.

BTW it's 'pedantry', not 'pedanticness'. Apologies for being pedantic.

You can tell that's not a word that's normally part of my vocabulary can't you.

Your pedantry levels don't upset me anywhere as much as the fitbaw not happening. 

Just infuriated. Great chance to make up some lost income as well but... Nope!!!

2 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

You can tell that's not a word that's normally part of my vocabulary can't you.

Your pedantry levels don't upset me anywhere as much as the fitbaw not happening. 

Just infuriated. Great chance to make up some lost income as well but... Nope!!!

I wouldn't have mentioned it if was any other word! 

As I said I'm resigning myself to it. Big picture is more important and, just maybe, they might be beatable and one leg in a neutral venue could work to our advantage.

That will be entirely up to the government of the Netherlands.
If away fans were allowed this would be a total nightmare for clubs.
Different nations have different rules due to Covid and then you throw in the Belarus flight ban so games are being moved all over the place.
The Belarus situation is different. They should be banned from European football until the flight ban is over.

59 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I appreciate isn't a critical business this is not the midst of the lockdown, if you're about to remove "nearly all restrictions" then surely you're in a position where professional sports should be allowed to travel While following the rules in place.

Worth remembering we aren't due to play Galatasaray in Perth until after the vast majority of restrictions are lifted.

Whole thing is so illogical.

That is Stevie Grieve confirmed by the club. There is something of an irony in the appointment though. When Saints lost at home to Partick Thistle (Dave McMillan's first game) in January 2018, Grieve did a very scathing analysis on Saints and Tommy Wright. A few days later, after we played at Albion Rovers, TW spoke on the radio about the need for new faces with only a few days left of the window (we got Willock and Williams) but washed his hands of the whole recruitment process, saying he wasn't taking the blame for that window and how the club needed someone heading up recruitment. I'm not sure at that time you'd have got much value in it being Stevie Grieve!

What TW said made sense, how we'd worked hard to improve the science side but needed to focus on recruitment, so it wasn't all left on him to identify targets, get them watched (usually by calling in favours) then giving a list to the board, who no doubt had to score off most for financial reasons. 

So this has been a long time coming but should make a big difference. SG can obviously identify players but do so much ground work as well so time isn't wasted. Saints have been very poor, IMO, at closing our deals over the past few years especially but this should improve the process. 

And even if the worst happened and we were relegated and had to cut back, at least they should be in a position to easily re-establish these sort of roles if the time came now they've finally reached over the hurdle of doing it for the first time. 

Will be interesting to see if our transfer strategy alters but that will need buy-in from the manager and the chairman.