Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

In all seriousness it is a hard one for the club I guess.

This window probably the last one we can get "decent" money for McCart/Kerr/Rooney.

But all 3, and the club, probably want them to play in the qualifiers. If we somehow do make it into the a group stage, do the players then try and stay until January? Or do the club still try and sell them at some point in this window to recoup some money?

If and let's be honest it's a very very big if we were to  make a group stage in either competition and the players wanted to leave, the club surely let's them go. We would be guaranteed millions anyway.

I'd hope all the players would want a crack at PSV or Galatasaray anyway so all thoughts of leaving would be out of thoughts till at least after then. Then even if we lose we'll have another shot at a fairly decent side a week or so later. If I was the club, if they haven't already, I'd offer them all deals and see who actually is committed and who's not.

14 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

If and let's be honest it's a very very big if we were to  make a group stage in either competition and the players wanted to leave, the club surely let's them go. We would be guaranteed millions anyway.

I'd hope all the players would want a crack at PSV or Galatasaray anyway so all thoughts of leaving would be out of thoughts till at least after then. Then even if we lose we'll have another shot at a fairly decent side a week or so later. If I was the club, if they haven't already, I'd offer them all deals and see who actually is committed and who's not.

I get the impression all three want to take the "next step" tbh, but thats based solely on gut instinct and nothing else, so not sure any will sign a new deal.

Do you have to make a statement with the likes of Kerr? Like can you develop him for years, turn him into a regular and captain, then lose him for nothing?

Edited by RandomGuy.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Do you have to make a statement with the likes of Kerr? Like can you develop him for years, turn him into a regular and captain, then lose him for nothing?

They've just won the double, if they somehow manage to beat the calibre of teams we will be facing in the next month then I think they deserve to leave for nothing as they'll have repaid St Johnstone FC with something worth a lot more than money.

22 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

They've just won the double, if they somehow manage to beat the calibre of teams we will be facing in the next month then I think they deserve to leave for nothing as they'll have repaid St Johnstone FC with something worth a lot more than money.

Yeah I wouldn't begrudge them a move at all, it's just I feel like setting precedents are important.

Getting a decent fee for Kerr, and McCann, feel important long term.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tough decision for Saints. Keep your best wing back for a season or accept a bag of jelly beans for him. 

Not sure what Rooney does either. Stay for another month and play in comfortably the biggest game of his career, of move to the English 3rd tier to play for Rotherham.

We might have real issues after we're inevitably papped out of Europe, mind you. Losing these players in the final weeks of the window could be a killer.

Rotherham will pay what St Johnstone are asking. They seem to be quite easy to negotiate with.  I’d say he’s more likely to move at this point.

20 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Rotherham will pay what St Johnstone are asking. They seem to be quite easy to negotiate with.  I’d say he’s more likely to move at this point.

Yeah I'm still expecting us to lose at least 3 from Rooney, Kerr, McCart and McCann in this window, I just think they might be willing to wait a month.

More and more English clubs will be looking at them as time goes on.

Rotherham came out 2 weeks ago and said they will pay what they want and not us. I’ve a feeling this is them chancing their arm with another lowball.

Losing one of the three isn’t the worst, but potentially losing McCann, Kerr and Rooney all within a few weeks is criminal.

25 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Glad to see the club agree with me that they need more bodies involved with that side of things tbh.

Shame it's typical Saints and its about 3 jobs in 1

Glad to see the club agree with me that they need more bodies involved with that side of things tbh.

I am sure many of the staff who have been doubling up to help in the ticket office, working very long hours will be glad to see this role filled.

Its a good sign the club are confident of the return of fans in significant numbers as well. 

Quite common when working for smaller businesses like football clubs though. Something isn't quite a full time role on its own right so you combine the duties to make sure it gets done.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.