Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well not really. Neither side wants to sell their player.

Both sides have plenty of interest in their player.

Aberdeen reject an offer and don't give any valuation to sell, hoping multiple clubs involved then start to up their bids, all confirmed by his agent.

St Johnstone reject an offer and potentially do the same. Give no amount and hope the clubs start making increasingly higher offers.

Not entirely sure why Aberdeen doing this is believable, while St Johnstone doing it is some ridiculous notion.

The hypothetical scenario (if I'm not wrong) as @Merkland Reddescribed was basically saying:

If you have agreed a free with club X and club Y  come in and match the same fee but team Y has improved terms or it is his favourite team, religious preference as a boy etc the player and agent would expect it is also accepted and negotiations or "bidding war" would commence.

you replied with:

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I mean, did Aberdeen not reject an offer for Lewis Ferguson this Summer despite the player and agent "demanding they accept the offer" via a transfer request?

Whilst I understand what you said is true, it has 0 relevance to the original statement by MR.

29 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I feel like you've completely misread what I said.

I'd tend to agree. 

Offer from Hibernian of around £200,000: Rejected. 

We now know there are maybe six clubs keen on the player, so let's see how keen they are. Why on earth would you tell them a price. They all know that £200k isn't enough, so let's see what they come back with.

Snooze and you lose though. 

Funny how it's acceptable for Aberdeen to turn down several million for Ferguson, Motherwell to play tough over Moult, but St Johnstone should just tell the queue of waiting clubs the price and pack him off for negotiations. 

Expect some passive aggressive denials in reply... 

9 minutes ago, Radford said:

Offer from Hibernian of around £200,000: Rejected. 

We now know there are maybe six clubs keen on the player, so let's see how keen they are. Why on earth would you tell them a price. They all know that £200k isn't enough, so let's see what they come back with.

Snooze and you lose though. 

Funny how it's acceptable for Aberdeen to turn down several million for Ferguson, Motherwell to play tough over Moult, but St Johnstone should just tell the queue of waiting clubs the price and pack him off for negotiations. 

What are you on about?

I genuinely hope all teams in Scotland can rinse any team for as much as they possibly can. Especially if the bidding team plays their football down south.

8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

What are you on about?

I genuinely hope all teams in Scotland can rinse any team for as much as they possibly can. Especially if the bidding team plays their football down south.

Pretty much.

The Moult example is a LOL. Aberdeen knew how much Motherwell wanted for him they didn't match that so they didn't get the player, they went and bought Stevie May instead.

Absolutely no one is saying that St Johnstone should just roll over. If they don't want to sell the player then they can just keep rejecting bids. However, if they do want to sell him then they'll give the buying clubs a number to meet. 

Edited by capt_oats

Unfortunately when you’re a massive club you can command bigger fees, whereas St Johnstone would find it tough to turn down over £300k for the likes of McCart. Ideal scenario for them is they accept a bid from us and let us bring in £3m+ for him down the line and give them a decent sell-on % IMHO.

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

However, if they do want to sell him then they'll give the buying clubs a number to meet. 

Why?

If there's 6 clubs bidding, why set a number and put a ceiling on it?

Just let them all come in with bids and go from there. If they all pull out, fine, you keep the player you want to keep.

13 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Unfortunately when you’re a massive club you can command bigger fees, whereas St Johnstone would find it tough to turn down over £300k for the likes of McCart. Ideal scenario for them is they accept a bid from us and let us bring in £3m+ for him down the line and give them a decent sell-on % IMHO.

Cheers Rowan Vine 

35 minutes ago, Radford said:

Here we go... 

24 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I genuinely hope all teams in Scotland can rinse any team for as much as they possibly can.

Course you do. 

17 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

However, if they do want to sell him then they'll give the buying clubs a number to meet. 

What material benefit is there to St Johnstone putting a price on a player that six clubs want? 

I'm sure there's a philosophy in many countries where release clauses and options to buy in loan deals are opposed because all you are every doing is limiting the amount you could earn by selling someone

Arguably it's the same if Saints have come back with what they would "actually" accept for McCart. Might as well ask for £1m and a replacement in exchange and be talked down rather than just being honest and saying £300k or whatever the total really is

11 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I don't think you know what passive aggressive means.

Yeah, you were just helping us Perth simpletons understand the transfer system, my mistake. Sincere apologies. 

Hopefully Saints have sent an email out to all interested parties tonight just telling them to give us £250,000 for Jamie McCart. 

God, imagine thinking bidding wars could exist. Minter. 

41 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Pretty much.

The Moult example is a LOL. Aberdeen knew how much Motherwell wanted for him they didn't match that so they didn't get the player, they went and bought Stevie May instead.

Absolutely no one is saying that St Johnstone should just roll over. If they don't want to sell the player then they can just keep rejecting bids. However, if they do want to sell him then they'll give the buying clubs a number to meet. 

I’m happy enough to treat it like a house sale. Closing date and whoever bids the most can have them. Plenty of interest in them all after all, if they really want them they can pay the maximum amount they’re either able or wiling to pay. 

I see no benefit in setting a price right now to be honest. We could be doing ourselves out of decent money if we do. 

Edited by Kyle

9 minutes ago, Radford said:

Hopefully Saints have sent an email out to all interested parties tonight just telling them to give us £250,000 for Jamie McCart. 

Make it a job lot, spend £500k on McCart and Kerr, and you get a Rooney free.

Side point, I'm sure I remember SB moaning in the past that we got done over by the wording in Sheffield Wednesday's sell-on clause for Stevie May

Was it as simple as we got a percentage of the profit on the fee rather than a percentage of the overall next fee?

Either way hope we've learned from that

5 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

Side point, I'm sure I remember SB moaning in the past that we got done over by the wording in Sheffield Wednesday's sell-on clause for Stevie May

Was it as simple as we got a percentage of the profit on the fee rather than a percentage of the overall next fee?

Either way hope we've learned from that

There was a sell on clause for Saints if May went for a million+ (or maybe an improved sell on clause). 
When Wednesday sold him to Preston the deal was about a million, but they threw in a fringe player they didn’t want so they could say May didn’t go for the full million, as part of the fee went toward the Johnny NoMark player.

Brown said at the ST meeting a couple of years back that we were done a bit and wouldn’t let that happen again.

Oh I dunno about that. Encouraging clubs to come back after offers of £200k for Rooney and less than £200k for McCart. Sounds like we’re ready to have our pants pulled down again.