Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think Ballantyne would need to be played as a 10/winger, hes too weak/slow in the tackle, to play top flight football in the middle just yet, IMO. 

Theres experienced winger type folk out there like James Henry, but might be a hard sell to get one up to be 4th/5th choice. Europe might be a swinging point for that type though.

I dont know where you are getting this info about Ballantyne from as it's not what I've heard... 

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, and he'll know far, far, more about Ballantyne and football than me.

Was just an opinion from the bits I've seen of him over the past 2 seasons. Ball comes to him with his back to an opponents and he'll try and flick it round them rather than hold it up. 50/50 and he tries to nick it past them with a toe rather than clatter into them. Seemed common for him to be slow to react when players burst past him, then a half hearted effort to block their run. Not a major fault, just feels like all his instincts just now are attacking ones so hes not completely tuned in to defensive situations.

Don't think hes suited to the top flight midfield warzone just yet. Let him float around behind the striker/out on a flank and he might be up to it.

A season in the Championship to continue toughening him up the best for everyone, IMO. Whole point of loans is surely to allow players to improve themselves at levels they're suited at, shoving players in too early can set them back years and end their careers at the club before its really began. Comrie and Duffy come to mind as two who were sort of fed to the wolves before they were ready, and are having to rebuild in the lower tiers.

Not that I’m picking on you,but Cammy has played 3 times the games Ali McCann played,and at a higher level 

2 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Not that I’m picking on you,but Cammy has played 3 times the games Ali McCann played,and at a higher level 

At the same level as McCann, both played for their respective loan clubs in league one. In a way it's shame we don't have the League Cup group stages to give guys like Ballantyne a look before either sending them out on loan or keeping them about the squad for the season.

2 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

I dont know where you are getting this info about Ballantyne from as it's not what I've heard... 

Its just my opinion from watching him. I don't think hes defensively strong enough to play as a CM in our set up yet, so would need played as a winger, or as a 10 with 2 strong defensive players beside/behind him. Think it would be unfair on him to ask him to jump 2 levels and work a whole lot harder defensively in one go. A move to the Championship with a side who play 3 CMs, and allow him a Wotherspoon-esque role so he can experience a higher level + become better rounded is probably ideal. Then next Summer he comes back and challanges Wotherspoon for a starting role.

1 minute ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Ali McCann played in League One for Stranraer, so its the same level.

Not sure its fair to compare them like that either tbh, McCanns game is probably better suited to stepping up two levels, although I never saw McCann play for Stranraer at all so I've no idea what "role" he played for them. McCann slotting in so effortlessly while skipping out the Championship should be seen as an outlier, I'm not sure many players around 20yo will manage that.

FWIW stuck him in my system v3.0...

Spoiler

BallyBee.thumb.png.b230a8698b12ef8b134e9a52e3423d46.png

For context this is Wotherspoon/McCann in terms of CM profile.

Spoiler

BallyBee.thumb.png.b230a8698b12ef8b134e9a52e3423d46.png

1140072359_mccannvwotherspoon.thumb.png.de8d3c6ad4fce3105931b7a29d122a0c.png

BallyBee2.thumb.png.b68e80377080adc5c761973dcff94e2d.png

And his defensive duel figures are higher than I expected. So aye, maybe worth me having another look to double check my opinion on that one. Engine is effectively just box to box.

Either way, I hope he gets a chance pre-season to impress. Definitely deserves it.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Guest Peter LaFleur
1 hour ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Stewart Petrie quoted that Ballantyne has an unbelievable  engine up and down the park all game,can’t be that slow or weak,reckons he’s set for the very top,played asa holding mid too,so he trusted his tacking

Aye Ballantyne against Falkirk was box to box. Despite being lightweight he flew into challenges and was pretty strong on the ball. Really good talent, albeit had an easy day up against a crocked Blair Alston so hard to judge what level he’s currently ready for. I feel a year in the Championship would do him the world of good though.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

Scott Burns saying nothing has been agreed with Rangers and Middleton aswell, and its unlikely he'll be loaned out anytime soon.

£300k is f**k all for a guy who has done so much in such a short period of time. Literally all Rotherham can offer in the short term is slightly more cash for the next few months. If Rooney keeps this form up he’ll command far more this time next year, or even come January.

My worry is this is just the May saga all over again. Rotherham are just the pilot fish testing the waters, while in the shadows a larger, actually appealing, club are sticking bids in aswell that nobody is reporting on.

Bournemouth in for Kerr confirms hes off, fair play to him if he gets that move. Horrible feeling this kid from Millwall is now his replacement.

£300k is a wild valuation for Rooney. 

Just now, RossBFaeDundee said:

'Closer to £300,000.'

f**k them, don't even answer the phone call.

Out of all of them I anticipate he's the one least itching for a move as well.

For that amount it's almost worth gambling, risking losing him for nowt in the summer and offering him a new deal now. 

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

'Closer to £300,000.'

f**k them, don't even answer the phone call.

Second Sun article claims that the price we've set to sell him, which seems absolutely mental.

Also claims its £400k to get Kerr.

If the £1m fee for McCann is also right, and McCart is ~£400k, then we could be looking at losing McCart, Kerr, Rooney, and McCann for a combined £2m. Would honestly be scandalous if thats allowed to happen.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Second Sun article claims that the price we've set to sell him, which seems absolutely mental.

Also claims its £400k to get Kerr.

If the £1m fee for McCann is also right, and McCart is ~£400k, then we could be looking at losing McCart, Kerr, Rooney, and McCann for a combined £2m. Would honestly be scandalous if thats allowed to happen.

Shocking really. If we're getting £400k for Kerr I highly doubt we'd get £400k for McCart, Kerr is very much the poster boy in that defence.