Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The worst thing about the links for Rooney to Rotherham and Kerr to Wigan isn't so much the level, but it's the actual clubs that are involved in teh potential deals.

Neither team look like bothering the Premier League any time soon and they don't have a major tradition of selling players on for big money either, and the big money for Saints in players like these is getting a hefty sell on clause and then seeing them sold for a few million after a season or two.

Would much rather deal with someone like Peterborough who could do that, but then those relations may be dead after the whole "we don't do interest free loans" and trying to offer the remnants of Nicky Ajose for Stevie May a few years ago.

If those moves do happen, they would inevitably come with the sinking "Rooney/Kerr signs for Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen" in a year after neither club really knows how to use them and doesn't build around their strengths 

As much as it would pain me to see them go, these guys have given us the impossible. They have given us absolutely everything.

If the right amount of money is tabled for Kerr/Rooney/McCann etc, can we really hold it against them if they want to move on and try something else? They don’t owe Saints anything now.

9 hours ago, steviemay17 said:

Is it naive to think that Rooney will be happy to stay with us because he's given a role that perfectly suits him and the grass isn't always greener, or does money overrule all?

When the money on offer could potentially mean that he doesn’t have to work again, once he is done with football, then it does become very difficult to turn it down.

From what I’m seeing we’ve rejected Rotherham’s offer and received no second bid.

If the Kerr to Wigan rumours were serious we’d see it in the papers. Although, I can see us losing him and McCann this window.

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

If the Kerr to Wigan rumours were serious we’d see it in the papers. Although, I can see us losing him and McCann this window.

Tbf the papers is where that story originated.

4 minutes ago, Radford said:

A town that doesn't even like football and who have a pie as a mascot.

Thought this was the start of a rant about us tbh...

33 minutes ago, mizfit said:

From what I’m seeing we’ve rejected Rotherham’s offer and received no second bid.

Kerr to Wigan was quoted by the record a couple of days ago. 

3 hours ago, perthsaints99 said:

As much as it would pain me to see them go, these guys have given us the impossible. They have given us absolutely everything.

If the right amount of money is tabled for Kerr/Rooney/McCann etc, can we really hold it against them if they want to move on and try something else? They don’t owe Saints anything now.

Rooney on Open Goal was saying he wanted to play in the European campaign I’m sure. He also managed to get York City fans on Twitter absolutely seething by saying that he used to have ten pints the night before a match.4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png

I'd like to think that the potential for European group stage football might be a big draw for these guys to stay at least until the end of the window. If you go to English League One/Championship you can pretty much forget about ever doing that.

But equally the money on offer will be a huge step up and you never know if you'll get that chance again.

We could really do with getting contract extensions for McCart and Rooney at the very least. That ship has probably sailed for Kerr but I'd still hope we were making a pretty massive offer to him with the understanding we won't stand in his way if the money is right.

Signing another right back is surely a bit of a worry? 

Or is it the case he is maybe cheap centreback cover in the even we lose on for a period of time?

Edited by Widge