Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

This seems to be a recurring theme with the big sexy b*****d, long may it continue. 

As the dumb c***s across the road would say, there was a roaring crescendo of his name being bellowed out from everyone in the immediate vicinity.  I'm sure I seen a grown man cry at the sight tbh Tam.

Was sort of made clear when he signed that he was going to look to have a career in Europe, so you wonder if all the covid restrictions etc., have made him desperate to return home, especially since Israel has zero restrictions just now.

Shame if it has made him give up on it, but he played his part for us and will be remembered fondly IMO. Hopefully can get himself capped now.

The games I watched with Hendry he looked half decent, especially when Random was beating the drum about his stats. I then watched two or three games in a row, one being the play offs and that put me right off him, tidy enough but would've been found right out in the big league imo.

6 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

The games I watched with Hendry he looked half decent, especially when Random was beating the drum about his stats. I then watched two or three games in a row, one being the play offs and that put me right off him, tidy enough but would've been found right out in the big league imo.

I beat the drum about a lot of players tbf 😂

See our boy Alex Ferguson is away to Edinburgh City on loan. Really interesting to see how he gets on considering the hype.

Guess if we're to lose McCann we'd be better losing him early, so there's plenty time to replace him.

Wouldn't want him leaving suddenly in the last week of the window.

Slowly learning how to "cluster" players with PCA methods, for anyone who cares.

Stuck every CM in Scotland last season into it to see who came out as "similar". Its less in depth than my bar charts but a lot quicker for finding players who play the same way...

cluster.png.0cd2bdd430de6bfca2bbf8eeea3987ef.png

This method, my bar graph method, and watching them via clips, has Wotherspoon and Cammy Ballantyne being "similar" players in terms of how they play. Still not convinced hes up to being a regular player for us this season, but would be nice for him to get a chance in Wotherspoons role pre-season, as presumably Wotherspoon will get a longer rest than the other players.

I'm still not 100% on some of the names on this list, so theres some doubt in my mind still about this (imposter syndrome is strong), as I'm not convinced Wotherspoon and Callachan should be grouped together, but can see why they're together (touches in the box/dribbles/offensive duels) so thats sort of pleasing.

FWIW Ross Matthews at Raith was someone I'd half kept an eye on as he seems to be the "rock" Raith build their midfield on. Hendry benefitted from him just silently working away around him. Hes been clustered beside Ali McCann, and my bar graph method agrees... 

Matthews.thumb.png.200052b9655a26448f5f8d8bff7877d2.png

Matthews obviously League One/Championship while McCann is top flight so context etc., but pathetically chuffed how easy I can now find "similar" players.

15 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Seeing that Dundee are letting 500 in to their pre-season games next month. 

Any intel on whether we'll get anyone in to the Preston game? Guessing not but chances of it being on Saints TV?

Anyone ITK?

I have been told that game will be on Saints TV.

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Scotland getting beaten by Croatia was the same date, 39 years on, of the last St Johnstone player (I think?) to score in a World Cup Finals.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ldk1zUjE9u8

That'll change next year with David Wotherspoon bagging a hat trick for Canada, IMO.

I've not paid much attention to the qualifiers etc., tbh, but it would be great if Canada and NI qualified, and also Scotland did with at least one Saints player getting a call up. 

That would be at least 3 Saints players at the same World Cup, which surely has never happened before.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

That'll change next year with David Wotherspoon bagging a hat trick for Canada, IMO.

I've not paid much attention to the qualifiers etc., tbh, but it would be great if Canada and NI qualified, and also Scotland did with at least one Saints player getting a call up. 

That would be at least 3 Saints players at the same World Cup, which surely has never happened before.

If McCann is still at Saints, think I'd watch a Northern Ireland World Cup match ahead of a Scotland one.  Would be an amazing proud moment to see one of ours on that stage.