Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Can't help but feel, by his signings so far, he's under estimating that division, and how hard it is to get a squad with so many changes to actually gel.

Don't suppose he has a choice, mind you.

49 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can't help but feel, by his signings so far, he's under estimating that division, and how hard it is to get a squad with so many changes to actually gel.

Don't suppose he has a choice, mind you.

In fairness I didn't realise they had so many players who were out of contract and leaving, but it does look like instead of building a solid squad he's just trying to throw as much sh*t at the wall as possible in the hope that some of it sticks

9 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

He left us and we had our most successful season ever..He joined Kilmarnock and was relegated..Ah well never mind eh !

But he did manage to get them to a final that was bigger than the Betfred Cup Final so we can't afford to be too smug

Some interesting news today in The Courier.

- James Brown hopefully signed before the 28th

- Offer for Guy Melamed still on the table

- Manager confirms English contracts "run at a different timetable" to Scottish deals, so players down that way aren't necessarily available yet

Not that it's anywhere close to what the club probably has, but my stupid wee system had both Pawlett and Gardyne as well above average in terms of carrying the ball, and creating chances, and above average in possession play. So links to those two, while perhaps not good as the exact players you want, hints heavily we have a shortlist of that type of player, which is good as we relied on Wotherspoon for all that too much last season. Think both Pawlett/Gardyne have spent spells on either flank/central behind a striker at points in their career too.

Nice to see the club has a clear idea of what they want, and you can see the logic in players they're linked with even if you don't necessarily agree with the quality. Hefty vibes that both were far down our shortlist and agents leaked our tentative interest as they closed in on deals elsewhere to try and force us into making moves for them instead of waiting for our top choice.

Edited by RandomGuy.

On 16/06/2021 at 22:15, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

20210616_221403.jpg

Sitting watching packed stadiums (Copenhagen, Budapest) of mixed home and away fans, I can only commend UEFA on their commitment to public health when I read the above email.  It's not as if the euros are an exception purely down to the huge money generating ability of the tournament.  

Lets f**k the diddies over as it looks like we're acting responsibly.

Edited by PauloPerth

36 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Random Guy have you watched the BBC documentary on Roberto Martinez - Whistle to Whistle.... Right up your street on the data side of things. Great insight into Data and football

I've not but I certainly will at some point now I know it exists, cheers 👍

Edited by RandomGuy.

My shortlist of out and out wingers to sign has improved due to a new system, IMO. Permanent deals preferable for me, tbh, so they're the top 2.

1. Josh Sims - released by Southampton, after a loan at Doncaster last year. Linked with Portsmouth, who apparently dont pay as much as you'd think. 
  2. Otis Khan - Left Tranmare this Summer, linked with Preston and Sunderland, so less likely than above.
  3. Glenn Middleton - Would be a loan, but we know what he offers.
  4.  Kai Kennedy - Special player, arguably the most potential of all the players here, but we'd only get him for a year at best.
  5. Ryan Giles - Long contract at Wolves, and regular in the EFL Championship last season. Don't ask you don't get though. Played as a LWB too.
  6. Brandon Barker - Another who'd be a loan, but hes got something there that can be coaxed out, despite the mocking he gets.

And then a bonus banter shout of Izzy Jones back from Middlesbrough, just for the song.

I expect we'll sign none of them, find a superstar elsewhere who isn't listed as a winger, and I'll be roundly mocked as all 6 of these players bomb elsewhere, but I'm just writing this down so I can see what happens with them all by the end of the window, tbh.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My shortlist of out and out wingers to sign has improved due to a new system, IMO. Permanent deals preferable for me, tbh, so they're the top 2.

1. Josh Sims - released by Southampton, after a loan at Doncaster last year. Linked with Portsmouth, who apparently dont pay as much as you'd think. 
  2. Otis Khan - Left Tranmare this Summer, linked with Preston and Sunderland, so less likely than above.
  4.  Kai Kennedy - Special player, arguably the most potential of all the players here, but we'd only get him for a year at best.
  5. Ryan Giles - Long contract at Wolves, and regular in the EFL Championship last season. Don't ask you don't get though. Played as a LWB too.
  6. Brandon Barker - Another who'd be a loan, but hes got something there that can be coaxed out, despite the mocking he gets.

And then a bonus banter shout of Izzy Jones back from Middlesbrough, just for the song.

I expect we'll sign none of them, find a superstar elsewhere who isn't listed as a winger, and I'll be roundly mocked as all 6 of these players bomb elsewhere, but I'm just writing this down so I can see what happens with them all by the end of the window, tbh.

I do wonder if we can get another couple of favours from Millwall, especially after the success of Danny McNamara

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

What would you guess an average starter on SJ is paid per week? And how much would the top 2 or 3 be making?