Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I'd expect some things to start happening next week once the players and staff start coming back from a well deserved break and time off. Someone might need to start looking for Shaun Rooney now though, he's probably gone awol. 

I'm back on the "What does Widge want in the transfer market" train of thought today. Here's where I've gotten to -

• At least 1 back up centre back. Ideally someone early 20s to play 4th choice, but also learn the system and eventually is able to step up to the starting XI
  • Back up fullbacks. Now it depends whether we're looking at Brown seriously, I've no reason not to sign him, other than the fact he's average, but he never let us down. I guess if he's on a cheapish wage and happy to be second fiddle it's all good. We definitely need someone to cover left back, since Booth can be a little injury prone and if the worst case scenario of McCart getting injured happens, he's likely your back up left centre back.
  • Wide forwards x 2. Essentially replacements for Middleton and Conway. Ideally you get Middleton back and bring in 1 more.
  • Striker. We need another one, two if Hendry leaves, but that'll depend on his attitude, it might spur him on to improve. 

If I was being really greedy, I don't think 6 new players is enough, I'd be looking at getting 1 more central midfielder in, who can play as a 2 or potentially further forward as a 10 when Spoony needs a break. Craig, Davidson and Bryson are all the wrong side of 30 and Gilmour and Ballantyne have the grand total of 1 senior top flight game to their name. I'd be trying to get Ballantyne and Ferguson out on loan to the Championship, arguably a team like Raith would be a great fit for Ballantyne, dunno how his numbers stack up, but he seems a similar sort of player to Hendry in that he's progressive and somewhat creative, but with poorer defensive stats. 

If all the above happens, you'd have a senior squad of 22/23 with as many of the youngsters out on loan as possible. This obviously doesn't account for us losing McCann, which still seems a possibility. 

Love these conversations, my opinion changes weekly tbh.

In - Back up CB, RWB, LWB all necessities. Ideally we get someone who can provide what Wotherspoon does, plus a centre forward who can play alone, and a striker/winger hybrid.

Out - Ballantyne still looks too raw to me. Gilmour probably be helped by 6 months regular football somewhere.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Love these conversations, my opinion changes weekly tbh.

In - Back up CB, RWB, LWB all necessities. Ideally we get someone who can provide what Wotherspoon does, plus a centre forward who can play alone, and a striker/winger hybrid.

Out - Ballantyne still looks too raw to me. Gilmour probably be helped by 6 months regular football somewhere.

Surely we can just go with the time honoured tradition of sending a few guys to QOTS on loan and then they can come back and become regulars after a season or two

Just now, steviemay17 said:

Surely we can just go with the time honoured tradition of sending a few guys to QOTS on loan and then they can come back and become regulars after a season or two

Think you've sussed it tbh.

Ballantyne and Gilmour to QOS, Denham to East Fife, and Robertson to Dumbarton.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think you've sussed it tbh.

Ballantyne and Gilmour to QOS, Denham to East Fife, and Robertson to Dumbarton.

It is bizarre to think that Clark, Kerr, Kane and Rooney all played for Queens not so long ago, plus they have no money so should be keen to sign players

An added bonus that they are the local team to where I grew up so it makes it easier to root for them if they are Saints' feeder side

It might be a tougher one to arrange  but Hendry also looks like the kind of player who could do with a full season in the Championship just being the main man and building confidence - Stevie May to Hamilton isn't an exact comparison but it was the making of him and could be the same with Hendry

8 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Did Zanders stats improve much towards the end of the season?

@RandomGuy.

Screenshot_20210610-140317_Office.thumb.jpg.be98c44ec2ce3439832cffd35baabe53.jpg

Bottom is the start of the season, top is the end of the season.

He became less bad but his cup form helped a lot.

I think we need:

Backup RWB - Brown would be fine if nothing better/cheaper out there

A good LWB - to challenge Booth and ideally displace him in a season or two. This is the bit in FM where I’d sign Lewis Strapp (no idea if he’s even good or available)

Young CB: someone cheap like Clive or Wallace Duffy, who I think would probably look alright as a deputy in this back 3 and should improve over time. Can always move Rooney or Booth inside if they’re god awful.

David Wotherspoon II: he won’t play forever, need an extra option who can play as an AM or out wide to replace Conway. No idea who soz

Forward: Motherwell had a signing strategy of getting in lads with a bit of pace and skill “who can play anywhere across the front three”. Let’s have one of these pls, an option up front or in the wide spots. We’re looking for backups in the other positions I’ve outlined - here we should be looking to bring in someone good who can come straight into the team. Must have pace. Glenn Middleton if available thanks

Extra wants:
A good (pref young) CM to start with McCann and also leave us less panicked if he leaves would be nice. No need to pick up a jobber for the sake of it though - we have Bryson, Craig and Davidson as solid older options in there. Reagan Hendry is the obvious one but probably beyond our budget. Not too bothered if we don’t get as CD clearly rates Gilmour.

A large goalscoring striker: with our current fw options we would be looking for Callum Hendry to take up Melamed’s goalscoring slack. That is obviously a bit of a risk. Any of the large lads Random Guy posts in here every week would be sound as an extra option up there

13 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Gilmour is a first team player, he won't be going on loan.

Was based entirely on how little football he's played in his career tbh, not seen him play enough to really know what level he's at.

By all accounts he needs to learn how to play further up the park still, so a loan to dominant side lower down the leagues where gets lots of the ball in the opponents half sounds sensible. Might be a load of bollocks though, bit fan of his Dutch side said theyd been trying to make him more "box to box" as at Arsenal he was just sitting in his own half pinging balls about, then he looked a bit "raw" against Celtic further up the park too.

Definitely need defensive cover. We were lucky that McCart, Kerr and Tams son all stayed fit largely.  A couple of injuries and the whole balance of the side could be knackered.

A striker that's not a goal virgin and a deputy for Spoony would be nice as well. 

20 hours ago, Radford said:

I liked the teal and magenta kit at the time but Ayr United - who had an identical kit during that period - revisited it quite recently and it looked totally underwhelming. 

There are other away kits I'd far rather see us bring back. 

First away kit owned was this beauty...

st-johnstone-away-football-shirt-1991-1993-s_1236_1.thumb.jpg.cfb25b498f871500d69e57ee9f204323.jpg

I had that top, probably my favourite Saints away top of all time.  Opening day of the season in 91 or 92 we went to ibrox and it got its first outing, full of optimism as folk kept telling each other that rangers always start the season slowly.  Hately got Inglis sent off after 20 minutes and we got pumped 6-0.

3 minutes ago, The Marly said:

His assists and xG did.

He broke WyScout that week as they had no idea how to display that chance, as they don't have xG figures for keepers, but needed to register the chance 😂

They "fixed" it by simply removing the shot entirely.

Edited by RandomGuy.