Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, TractorBoy said:

I've just bought my season ticket  to watch Rooney run through Tanser. Over. And. Over. Again. 

OYF, hadn't even thought of that.

Rooney v Tanser at the back post, 1v1 😂

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Absolutely, its just to my mind planning for this season, and subsequent talks with players over deals, should've started at least the moment we secured a top 6 spot.

Since then I think the only regulars we've extended deals for are Booth, Craig, May and Kane.

We've got Clark, Rooney, Kerr, Gordon, and McCart all out of contract next Summer, only have 5 senior defenders, have lost Melamed and Middleton (both of which were inevitable a few months ago), and theres been no progress at all in terms of improving any of that situation.

I'd just hoped at least one bit of progress would've been announced by now, working on the timeframe that the clubs been working on them for 3 months.

I would imagine the manager has taken a well earned break/holiday after winning the 2 cups and European spot. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Huck said:

I would imagine the manager has taken a well earned break/holiday after winning the 2 cups and European spot. 

The club should be capable of moving on with these things without him for a few weeks, thats the whole point of Scott Boyd.

15 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Glad to hear season ticket sales have gone up. If I lived in #perthshire I would consider getting one. The club deserve a good following more than ever right now.

Are you not in the Highlands now?

I'll make approx 10 games this season l, if we are allowed but bought a ticket for myself and daughter anyway.

5 year old daughter does not want to go to a game btw. Asked if she wanted to go on a Euro tour and she also said no. Ungrateful shite.

The best thing about Adam Morgan is he genuinely gives Joe Gormley a run for his money in the "massively overhyped striker who turned out to be utter pish" stakes

For a while I would randomly tweet about how Adam Morgan was shite.

He took the bait more than once.

None of us (other than myself obviously, when it comes to the inner workings of any deal involving St Mirren) are privvy to the club's summer plans. 

I think it's a fair assumption that the club would have liked to sign Greg Kiltie and talks had obviously reopened with Tanser but we know the club doesn't pay above what they believe a player is worth simply to seal a deal or beat off competition. If they think a player is worth £1,000 per week, that's all they will go to. 

That can obviously appear frustrating but has it done us any harm at all over the past 15 years? This is one day in a long window and whilst I think it is fair to question our ability to get deals done at times, you can't judge a window on 6 June. 

The most important thing at St Johnstone is we have had a string of good managers who get the best out of their players. Will signing Scott Tanser et al mean Jim Goodwin isn't going to bottle two cup semi-finals and shit the bed when the top six was in his grasp? That's not being snidey about him but the manager is virtually always  more important than the players.

Going back to Scott Tanser, we've seen enough from Clive Hart to suggest that St Mirren have probably paid over the odds for him. Their fans won't like that but it will be the case I'm afraid.

Tommy Wright improved him massively as a player but what Callum Davidson added to that was that he found a role that masked any weaknesses in his game and accentuated his positives. That's because Callum Davidson is a very good manager. 

You avoid getting him isolated on that back post, you avoid him ending up in one-on-one situations and basically don't ask him to do much defending. As said, Tommy Wright improved some of those things but Davidson just ensured Tanser never found himself in those situations. Will Jim Goodwin manage the same? 

I'm disappointed he's gone but satisfied that Saints can't pay over the what they believe is right and hope that the manager will be able to recruit another player that he can work with to help the team. 

Greg Kiltie would have been a really good fit for our shape but again, you can't really criticise a club policy that has brought success over such a prolonged period.

I think if you ask any fan or the manager, the priority this window is to protect our assets, players that have proven themselves and that the club can recoup on. They are worth the best offers we can make. 

Come the end of August, the issue about getting deals done may need an airing again but this early on, you've just got to let them get on with their work. 

I'm not even bothered about this window anymore tbh, I'm just daydreaming of the aforementioned Rooney v Tanser back post situation, and the aftermath when Tanser inevitably just crumples to the ground rather than put his body on the line.

If you're doing Tanser memories, then surely the "stop! hes already dead!" match is the GOAT?

Nice cameo by Shaughnessy aswell...

Edited by RandomGuy.

I'll make approx 10 games this season l, if we are allowed but bought a ticket for myself and daughter anyway.
5 year old daughter does not want to go to a game btw. Asked if she wanted to go on a Euro tour and she also said no. Ungrateful shite.

Aye. Fair play to you for buying one. It did cross my mind but I can’t really justify it just now. Will make more of an effort to go to home games though.

56 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Take her on a Euro tour, she'll soon warm to it. If we get group stage you can plan better, make it a family trip!

It’s the 7th of June. 7th. We’ve had a right good two weeks of lapping up double cup fun. The hard work behind the scenes at the club will start soon. If ST renewals are at a high then that’s guaranteed money. We’ll soon receive prize money for this year’s miracles. They’ll work out a budget then spend four to five weeks trying to get players while most agents have their eyes on the bigger fish swimming in the Euro 2020 pond. We’ll have two or three new players this month. I have no doubt or fear. 

10 minutes ago, McG said:

Hearing Middleton to Paisley is very much on the cards, I thought he would of been a cert to sign for you again.

It's good to have boys out on loan going to different teams, they can get too comfy at the one club. I'd have thought England would've been better than another year in the premiership. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you're doing Tanser memories, then surely the "stop! hes already dead!" match is the GOAT?

Nice cameo by Shaughnessy aswell...

Posting a video of your own team getting horsed 6-0 at home to prove a point to yourself about a player you've tried, and failed, to sign is a quite phenomenal self-own.

Posting a video of your own team getting horsed 6-0 at home to prove a point to yourself about a player you've tried, and failed, to sign is a quite phenomenal self-own.
Isn't it the case that we didnt try try hard to keep him? That's kinda the whole point. Clive has done you proper.