Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

If he keeps fit, keeps improving and keeps going the way he’s going he could end up surpassing Steven Davis’ cap record down the line somewhere. To be consistently picked in that role at his age at international level is a massive achievement.

Northern Ireland probably can’t believe Scotland let him slip through their fingers.

Posted at 20:3120:31

CLOSE!

Ukraine 1-0 Northern Ireland

Ali McCann splits the home defence with a superb through ball to find Kyle Lafferty,

Ok, so not a typical Saints signing but just keep thinking that Lafferty is the striker that  we need.  The above just looks superb imagining it at a full McDermiad.    

Easy drive From his home in Thorntonhall . Tommy would be seething as well 😛

23 minutes ago, saint pogo said:
Posted at 20:3120:31

CLOSE!

Ukraine 1-0 Northern Ireland

Ali McCann splits the home defence with a superb through ball to find Kyle Lafferty,

Ok, so not a typical Saints signing but just keep thinking that Lafferty is the striker that  we need.  The above just looks superb imagining it at a full McDermiad.    

Easy drive From his home in Thorntonhall . Tommy would be seething as well 😛

What is a full McDermiad?

File me in the "no" camp for Lafferty.

Massive wage, huge amount of work to deal with, throws a strop if hes not the centre of attention every single day. Hopefully some moron club like Hearts chuck half their budget at him.

He also turns 34 in a few months and clearly won't continue scoring goals at the rate he did at Kilmarnock, he was scoring at double the rate of his xG for them, so is due a poor half season to compensate.

1 minute ago, saint pogo said:

Gaelic spelling 

Never knew that. 

Lafferty not for me either, not sure he'd fit in.  We very much are about the sum of the parts, and if a billy bigtime came in chasing headlines then it might disrupt that. Plus he'd be after a lot of money, would rather spend it extending deals for some of our young stars.

Chris Maguire apparently "signing for a Scottish top flight club", btw.

Would probably be a fair replacement for Conway, and a better "fit" in the front three than MOH.

Conway/MOH out, Maguire/Middleton in, would feel like an upgrade.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Chris Maguire apparently "signing for a Scottish top flight club", btw.

Would probably be a fair replacement for Conway, and a better "fit" in the front three than MOH.

Conway/MOH out, Maguire/Middleton in, would feel like an upgrade.

That's not what you said when I mentioned him last week.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

That's not what you said when I mentioned him last week.

I was thinking about him as a centre forward tbh.

If he's similar to Conway in how he's used, it seems decent enough.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I was thinking about him as a centre forward tbh.

If he's similar to Conway in how he's used, it seems decent enough.

Done a quick twitter search there and a lot of Sunderland fans are sad to see him go. Some surprised even. Could be a good addition if it’s a option. 

8 minutes ago, Sconesaint said:

Done a quick twitter search there and a lot of Sunderland fans are sad to see him go. Some surprised even. Could be a good addition if it’s a option. 

Yeah he seems well liked.

Still unconvinced you'd want him starting every week. But takes a decent set play and seems like someone who can win you a game with a bit of magic. As an option to come in/off the bench, I think I'd rather him than Conway.

Hibs.net unsurprisingly still on about Jason Kerr.

Latest is he's available for £300k and we'd "find it hard" to reject that amount of money.

A few doubters he's worth it though, as he apparently spends 90 minutes camped in our box, alongside 4 other defenders, with 2 DMs in front of him, and wouldn't be impressive if he was asked to play further up the park.

Hibs fans genuinely do seem to think the way we play against them is how we play every game.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hibs.net unsurprisingly still on about Jason Kerr.

Latest is he's available for £300k and we'd "find it hard" to reject that amount of money.

A few doubters he's worth it though, as he apparently spends 90 minutes camped in our box, alongside 4 other defenders, with 2 DMs in front of him, and wouldn't be impressive if he was asked to play further up the park.

Hibs fans genuinely do seem to think the way we play against them is how we play every game.

In our last 5 meetings we've scored 8 goals and they've scored 2. We don't play on the edge of our box with 7 defensive minded players and you're doing us a disservice suggesting we do.

I really do despair at your negative outlook, see for next season goin just be happy and expect us to finish in the top 4.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

In our last 5 meetings we've scored 8 goals and they've scored 2. We don't play on the edge of our box with 7 defensive minded players and you're doing us a disservice suggesting we do.

I really do despair at your negative outlook, see for next season goin just be happy and expect us to finish in the top 4.

What?

I was saying what Hibs fans are saying on their forum?

They're convinced we just camp in our box when playing against them, and are also convinced we play like that every single week. We do sit deeper against them than against other sides, but it's because they leave massive spaces when they come forward and allow us to counter into it.

I really love the guy that says we play five at the back with two defensive midfielders and Kerr is asked to do nothing but sit on the edge of our box and defend. And that Porteous is orders of magnitude better and “better on the ball”.

As if the last goal we scored against them didn’t involve two wing backs playing on the edge of their box - and that that isn’t pretty typical of the game we play.

Honestly can’t believe that lot have watched Porteous all season and still rave about him - it can’t just be against us that he makes constant, glaring errors that lead to chances/goals.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What?

I was saying what Hibs fans are saying on their forum?

They're convinced we just camp in our box when playing against them, and are also convinced we play like that every single week. We do sit deeper against them than against other sides, but it's because they leave massive spaces when they come forward and allow us to counter into it.

I know the first bit was Hibs.net shite, the end bit was you though. We don't sit deeper against Hibs any more than any other top half side. We play the same way against most of the better sides. Hibs just arent as well set up or as good individually as the others so leave gaps that we exploit.  Hibs think they're a decent side that can play football, we teach them otherwise. So less of the we sit on the edge of our box chat and focus on the positives please.