Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Brexit has fucked the markets down south also. They’re more willing to sign British players and the demand in British players will push prices up.

9 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Serious question, do you honestly believe you will get anywhere near £4m for McCann? I think he is an amazing player and absolutely should be worth that considering the money chucked around at other dross but it is just never the case in reality imo. I reckon you will get 2.5 million max for him. 

Would be happy to be proved wrong though!

I don't. I was just overemphasising the plausible transfer fee for comedic purposes. I think your estimation is probably quite accurate.

Ross Callachan has abysmal positional awareness.  The way we play relies on people knowing where to go and when, who to cover etc.  He'd consistently charge aimlessly about and leave gaping holes everywhere.  I can't remember if him and Paul Paton ever played together in the same team but if they did I'm surprised survived watching that.  

Let him return to Hearts, that will do fine.    

10 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Ross Callachan has abysmal positional awareness.  The way we play relies on people knowing where to go and when, who to cover etc.  He'd consistently charge aimlessly about and leave gaping holes everywhere.  I can't remember if him and Paul Paton ever played together in the same team but if they did I'm surprised survived watching that.  

Let him return to Hearts, that will do fine.    

I don't think their paths crossed.

We started a CM of Callachan, Alston, and Wotherspoon once.

Against Celtic.

We lost 6-0.

7 minutes ago, Costanza said:

That the game we were 5-0 down at half time then Swanson sent off minutes into second half?  That was grim.  Thankfully Celtic just stopped bothering or else double figures was on the cards.  

Yeah thats the one, Forrest scored like 4 goals in the first half hour.

I didn't mind Callachan purely for the fact he did try hard and put in plenty of effort, even when others weren't. At the time I wasn't opposed to keeping him as a back up option to come off the bench and try and grab a late goal. He wasn't a great footballer by any stretch but he did occasionally produce something, which can't be said for a lot of the midfielders we sign.

That being said, even at the time he was a very limited footballer with awful tactical awareness who was constantly out of position. Looking back, he left at the right time as with the new style of play he'd be totally exposed, even more so than before. 

In terms of Callachan, he wasn't hopeless at all, but played the game without discipline in terms of just wanting to run everywhere and be constantly involved.  Think that was his downfall that meant Tommy lost all faith in him and froze him out.  Agree it's hard to see where he'd fit into our current formation.

He was a decent squad player, and scoring 9 Premiership goals in a dreadful Accies team is an excellent return.  If we're going to be all about end product and stats in assessing some players, surely it needs to be consistent.. The last Saints player to get 9 league goals in a season was Maclean 4 seasons ago.

30 minutes ago, TractorBoy said:

Do we all believe that our current season ticket holders have gone wild causing a delay in the general sale? 

Not sure its a great move delaying it tbh

I think its more to do with the fact they're behind/not able to deal with the admin etc that comes with the current renewal volume sold, then opening up the general sale to snow them under completely wouldn't be sensible.

No idea what it entails adminwise but I imagine there will be covid rules for how many is allowed in the ticket office (presuming thats where they're handling it all) progress will be slow. 

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

In terms of Callachan, he wasn't hopeless at all, but played the game without discipline in terms of just wanting to run everywhere and be constantly involved.  Think that was his downfall that meant Tommy lost all faith in him and froze him out.  Agree it's hard to see where he'd fit into our current formation.

He was a decent squad player, and scoring 9 Premiership goals in a dreadful Accies team is an excellent return.  If we're going to be all about end product and stats in assessing some players, surely it needs to be consistent.. The last Saints player to get 9 league goals in a season was Maclean 4 seasons ago.

Worth remembering 4 of his goals were penalties. So 5 open play goals this season.

Less than Wotherspoon manged.

Stevie May scored 10 goals this season too, if we're including penalties.

59 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

should be news out shortly on the general sale from the club for season tickets

Still will be on sale from tomorrow

Anyone having issues renewing? Tried various browsers but no joy 

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth remembering 4 of his goals were penalties. So 5 open play goals this season.

Less than Wotherspoon manged.

Stevie May scored 10 goals this season too, if we're including penalties.

You’re including goals against Brechin, Kelty, Clyde, Peterhead etc. 

League only, Callachan was 9 goals and 3 assists, the 13th best in the country. No Saints player was near that.

I’m not arguing for him back, but I am saying that’s good going in the worst team in the league by quite a way.

2 minutes ago, Sconesaint said:

Anyone having issues renewing? Tried various browsers but no joy 

I had a load of issues renewing mine and my son's tickets. Ended up emailing the club and Bev sorted it out.