Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, jamamafegan said:

So does nobody care that Melamed has left then? Thought he was decent and a good option to have. Scored some nice goals.

Done well against the clubs in the bottom 6 - but did not really do anything against the top 6 teams, The money he/his agent were looking for was never going to be met by us.

I liked Melamed but I think the writing has been on the wall for a while with him. I had kind of moved on from him already before the confirmation as it seemed the club and player were miles apart. 

We need to replace Melameds goals, potentially the biggest job this Summer as it stands.

Hendy should help take up some of the slack, but we need to add 5+ goals somewhere else. Hopefully MOH, May, and Kane, can contribute more goals next season though.

59 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Anyone got any idea what's happening/happened with Ballantyne?

Have to presume he's got another year left too, I guess?

Only announcement was last Summer saying Ballantyne, Robertson, Northcott had signed new deals, with no lengths mentioned. 

He'd definitely have been mentioned in today's announcement, one way or another, if he was out of contract surely.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We need to replace Melameds goals, potentially the biggest job this Summer as it stands.

Hendy should help take up some of the slack, but we need to add 5+ goals somewhere else. Hopefully MOH, May, and Kane, can contribute more goals next season though.

We do. One thing on that though is that our goalscoring record in the first half of the season was brutal. Whilst we were never high goalscorers, we certainly improved after the turn of the year.

Unless we're decimated by clubs snapping up our players this summer, we start next season in a far better place, with the squad comfortable and familiar with the system.  I can't see the current squad every being prolific, but they do know how to win.  You've got to hope Kane, May and Hendry will manage more than 10 league goals between them next term if we get off to a better start, and if we can find another 5-10 goal a season option to replace Guy as you say, we should be good.

🏆🏆

You do question Melamed's thinking though. I know the agent calls the shots, but he works for Melamed.  You're leaving a successful club where you won two medals and settled well all things considered. Okay he could get a bit more money somewhere, but the exposure of European football could lead to the big move he's hoping for.  If he had sense he'd sign for another season on the best deal he can get from Saints, and put himself in a far bigger shop window.

Think the loss will be more his than St Johnstone's when he signs elsewhere.

🏆🏆

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have to presume he's got another year left too, I guess?

Only announcement was last Summer saying Ballantyne, Robertson, Northcott had signed new deals, with no lengths mentioned. 

He'd definitely have been mentioned in today's announcement, one way or another, if he was out of contract surely.

I think you're probably right, only thing that makes sense really, unless his renewal is being announced later.

20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

You do question Melamed's thinking though. I know the agent calls the shots, but he works for Melamed.  You're leaving a successful club where you won two medals and settled well all things considered. Okay he could get a bit more money somewhere, but the exposure of European football could lead to the big move he's hoping for.  If he had sense he'd sign for another season on the best deal he can get from Saints, and put himself in a far bigger shop window.

Think the loss will be more his than St Johnstone's when he signs elsewhere.

🏆🏆

Think it depends on the offer that we made him.

The way I see it, our only nailed-on starter up front is probably Kane, and (by and large) he's not a goal scorer. We've managed to score just enough this year with a lot of our goal threat coming from midfield or even defence/wing backs. We need more firepower up front and I just don't think that CD will think that will come from either Guy or Hendry (given he was happy to see him loaned out. 

So I don't think we were in any way breaking the bank for him and I don't expect he would have any expectation of starting European games either. Personally I would have made a weak/fair offer which might have made it quite an easy decision for him.

Personally I think we need 2 quality upgrade signings (striker and Conway replacement) which hopefully we should now be able to afford. If Guy leaving helps to free up funds that's good with me. I think that Middleton going back rather than extending would be a bigger blow. We also need a spare CB but would be happy with a journeyman for that. 

The league will probably be harder next year with Hearts replacing Hamilton, and the style of football we produce at home will be more important with (surely) new or lapsed fans coming to McDairmid and of course the importance of the European games. So a signing or two towards the top of the wage structure, if we can afford it, would be good and I don't expect that CD is the type to invest in players without doing the due diligence so I don't expect anything high-risk. 

If his agent is coming out with pie in the sky money requests surely he's got offers elsewhere and was trying to get Saints to match/beat it. Which we all know if it's obscene then Saints won't entertain. 

Doesnt make sense that the agent would risk Guy ending without a club or having no back up if Saints didn't meet his demands as ultimately he doesn't get paid either! Especially in a time when clubs are cutting their budgets.

Looks like he's tried bluffing us with Tanser and has failed as he evidently doesn't have another offer that's good enough to walk away from Saints.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

39 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Think it depends on the offer that we made him.

The way I see it, our only nailed-on starter up front is probably Kane, and (by and large) he's not a goal scorer. We've managed to score just enough this year with a lot of our goal threat coming from midfield or even defence/wing backs. We need more firepower up front and I just don't think that CD will think that will come from either Guy or Hendry (given he was happy to see him loaned out. 

So I don't think we were in any way breaking the bank for him and I don't expect he would have any expectation of starting European games either. Personally I would have made a weak/fair offer which might have made it quite an easy decision for him.

Personally I think we need 2 quality upgrade signings (striker and Conway replacement) which hopefully we should now be able to afford. If Guy leaving helps to free up funds that's good with me. I think that Middleton going back rather than extending would be a bigger blow. We also need a spare CB but would be happy with a journeyman for that. 

The league will probably be harder next year with Hearts replacing Hamilton, and the style of football we produce at home will be more important with (surely) new or lapsed fans coming to McDairmid and of course the importance of the European games. So a signing or two towards the top of the wage structure, if we can afford it, would be good and I don't expect that CD is the type to invest in players without doing the due diligence so I don't expect anything high-risk. 

I love Chris Kane but he’s one of the biggest goal virgins you could possibly find at this level. Hopefully Hendry can step up this season.

I was actually a bit gutted that Hamilton went down as I would always fancy us to finish above them.

2 hours ago, Costanza said:

That update also says we are trying to get Brown back. No mention of doing the same thing for Middleton though, not sure if reading too much into that

I think the difference is Brown is now a free agent  after Millwall didn't renew his contract 

A few parallels to be drawn between ourselves and Chelsea this season, I reckon. Obviously we play a superior  standard of football, but it’s the same set-up, same formation, difficult for ‘better teams’ to break us down, and both teams have a massive goal virgin leading the line.

Goal virgin. I like this 😆 

The cup semi and final showed the strengths and weaknesses of Kane to a tee.

His goal in the semi was a reaction and he barely had to think. 

His best chance in the final after the pen when he had time to think = no composure and a woeful hit that was right at the keeper. 

He's developed many strengths to his overall game but reliable finisher is way down the list.

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

A few parallels to be drawn between ourselves and Chelsea this season, I reckon. Obviously we play a superior  standard of football, but it’s the same set-up, same formation, difficult for ‘better teams’ to break us down, and both teams have a massive goal virgin leading the line.

I pitched this thesis to some friends after the Champions League final, but they weren't interested. I think it fell down on Hibs = Man City.

9 minutes ago, derek_holmes said:

I pitched this thesis to some friends after the Champions League final, but they weren't interested. I think it fell down on Hibs = Man City.

You should mention it in the Scotland threads, same system, just not executed properly, weird Falkirk fans seem to take exception to it.