Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Bit niche, but found a 2001/02 database on FM. Time to save St Johnstone from the drop with this likely lot...

1629881614_St.Johnstone_SeniorSquad.thumb.png.fba9b9dc81c0163c770e18d286c87157.png

19 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It's Friday night on a bank holiday weekend ffs.

If you've had the week I have, a quiet night playing FM sounds outstanding tbh.

Craig Conway has left Saints, confirmed by Davidson in the courier.  Ships passing in the night but a very decent signing for us, an assist in the league cup final and a goal in the semi. Very best wishes to him wherever he ends up. 

Seems O’Halloran, Brown and Tanser are in talks with Saints, with MOH likely to be the next one tied down. Brown is a downgrade on Rooney but never let us down when he played, would be happy enough to see him sign for us permanently. Tanser maybe realising the pot of gold he seemed to be chasing doesn’t exist. Would like him to stay as he and Booth are both very good options at left wing back and push each other well. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Bit niche, but found a 2001/02 database on FM. Time to save St Johnstone from the drop with this likely lot...

1629881614_St.Johnstone_SeniorSquad.thumb.png.fba9b9dc81c0163c770e18d286c87157.png

Severe lack of Rachid Djebili and Mark Lynch there.  Keigan being spelt wrong annoys me more than it should too

1 minute ago, double deluxe said:

Severe lack of Rachid Djebili and Mark Lynch there.  Keigan being spelt wrong annoys me more than it should too

Djebili is just off screen at the bottom.

Theres 6/7 players in the Reserve side too, I've forgotten exactly who apart from Cuthbert and Manny Panther.

Craig Russell and Djebili are the first victims of my cull, and look to be headed off. I've zero money to replace them though, so have decided to shitfest to safety.

3 games in and its been 0-0, 0-0, before I moved Dasovic further up the park and stuck Parker up top, and we beat Dunfermline 3-0.

Main

McClune - Kemble - Dods - Forsyth

Murray

Hartley - Kane - Dasovic - Lovenkrands

Parker

My main set up just now, Jim Weir injured but he'll probably slot straight into the back line.

So picture is getting clearer 

Squad for the season

Goalkeepers

Zander Clark - 2022

Elliot Parish - 2022

Ross Sinclair - 2024

Jack Wills - 2022

Defenders 

Shaun Rooney - 2022

Jason Kerr - 2022

Liam Gordon - 2022

Jamie McCart - 2022

Sam Denham - 2022

Callum Booth - 2022

Midfielders

David Wotherspoon - 2023

Murray Davidson - 2022

Ali McCann - 2023

Craig Bryson - 2022

Charlie Gilmour -2023

Liam Craig - 2022

Alex Ferguson - 2023 

Attackers

Stevie May - 2023

Chris Kane - 2023

Callum Hendry - 2022

Offered New/permanent contract

James Brown

Scott Tanser

Michael O’Halloran

Guy Melamed

Left the club 

Craig Conway (released)

Aaron Steele (signed for east fife)

Loan expired

Glenn Middleton 

Unsure 

Cammy Ballantyne

Jordan Northcott

Olly Hamilton

John Robertson 

So 20 players confirmed for next season with O’Halloran pretty close to being number 21.  Everyone other than Conway seem to have been offered something, even Middleton who the manager has talked about wanting back for next season. No word at all about any of the young players although the latter 3 seem to have had a tough time out on loan. Would be a real shame if Ballantyne doesn’t get a chance after 2 successful loan spells at Montrose though, I hope he doesn’t end up getting released without a chance. 

Might not be a particularly busy summer. I’d imagine Melamed will leave but I’m feeling a bit more confident about retaining Tanser after reading that report in the courier. Maybe 3 or 4 new players to come if Brown and Tanser sign?  Two wide players/attacking midfielders, and maybe a striker and a central defender. 

Edited by Kyle

If this Summer is mostly focused on keeping the squad together, and extending current deals, than I wouldn't be too unhappy with that.

We definitely need to add more players in, but I'm entirely unsure we can add much to the actual starting eleven, barring a clinical striker.

A little underwhelmed by Brown potentially staying, although maybe the manager feels that with games, he can convert him into a more natural wing back as, at the moment, I think the position looks a bit uncomfortable for him. The lack of versatility goes against him too. 

I understand the continued desire for continuity and O'Halloran on favourable terms make sense. I probably wouldn't want him playing more than he did this season, so recruiting a good replacement for Conway will be important. 

When you've won a double, it's easy to pat everyone on the back and the return from Conway has been fine but I'm glad we are moving on. I think he was another cog in why results weren't really coming in the early part of the season (and this kind of answers the question posed by @mizfit previously); we lacked pace in attack, missed the chaos factor offered by Rooney and didn't have anyone scoring the goals that Melamed did.

The key for me is continuity but without standing still when you are in a position of strength. 

That is an absolutely brilliant interview. You get a sense of GB and his mindset. The but I liked the most was when he first came in and the club was at it's lowest ebb they focussed on who they were up against in terms of Board members at opposition rather than the players on the park and they knew they were better than them.

14 hours ago, Kyle said:

Craig Conway has left Saints, confirmed by Davidson in the courier.  Ships passing in the night but a very decent signing for us, an assist in the league cup final and a goal in the semi. Very best wishes to him wherever he ends up. 

Seems O’Halloran, Brown and Tanser are in talks with Saints, with MOH likely to be the next one tied down. Brown is a downgrade on Rooney but never let us down when he played, would be happy enough to see him sign for us permanently. Tanser maybe realising the pot of gold he seemed to be chasing doesn’t exist. Would like him to stay as he and Booth are both very good options at left wing back and push each other well. 

Conway is retiring.

I’m now on the fence about O’Halloran, as I was very clear I wanted rid of him based on output and performances. However, in the last few weeks he’s shown glimpses of learning the system and increased work rate. Probably makes him worth another year on the right wages, I.e backup and not the starter wage he’ll be on. 

I sense people might start to worry about going into next season with the same squad and the same numbers; however last season we got super lucky and realistically we could sign the entire squad up again for next season and still be a couple of bodies light. So we’ll be looking for at least another 5/6 bodies minimum if nobody else leaves. Conway, Middleton, Conway all gone and need replaced, plus a few others and the squad will look pretty good. 

36 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I see Blair Alston has been released from his contract early. 

Did alright at Saints without being consistent enough but you'd think he would have found form again in League 1. 

Brad McKay joining Falkirk this week too.

Fairly certain we signed McKay and Gordon from Hearts In the same Summer. One more heralded than the other, to the point most sites don't even list Gordon as one of our seasons transfers.

Strange how these things work out.

Edited by RandomGuy.

9 hours ago, Radford said:

A little underwhelmed by Brown potentially staying, although maybe the manager feels that with games, he can convert him into a more natural wing back as, at the moment, I think the position looks a bit uncomfortable for him. The lack of versatility goes against him too. 

I understand the continued desire for continuity and O'Halloran on favourable terms make sense. I probably wouldn't want him playing more than he did this season, so recruiting a good replacement for Conway will be important. 

When you've won a double, it's easy to pat everyone on the back and the return from Conway has been fine but I'm glad we are moving on. I think he was another cog in why results weren't really coming in the early part of the season (and this kind of answers the question posed by @mizfit previously); we lacked pace in attack, missed the chaos factor offered by Rooney and didn't have anyone scoring the goals that Melamed did.

The key for me is continuity but without standing still when you are in a position of strength. 

Calum Booth’s improvement over the season has been so impressive considering he was struggling for a club. That confidence is shown in how he is now much more of a threat going forward compared to when he was just in for a game or two for Tanser and played pretty conservatively. If Davidson thinks Brown is worth bringing him in permanently then I back him completely 

Edited by saint pogo

On 27/05/2021 at 17:08, mizfit said:

Was having a look over results this season.

After December, what game do you think we turned the corner?

Bit of a debate between me and my dad right now with this. I’m insistent it was the 3-2 comeback win v Kilmarnock.

He’s adamant putting 3 past Hibs at Hampden was where the team woke up.

Posted the league table a couple of pages ago after that Kilmarnock game. Without a doubt for me that was the big turner. Hibs game consolidated the confidence so maybe just as important