Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Olaofe probably similar to Hendry, in that he suffered from being a lone striker in a system we clearly hadn't gotten to grips with yet.

Just the wrong time for him to make an impact here.

WyScout reckon hes played as a left winger a lot for Sutton Utd, FWIW.

Must be hard for players offered good terms and security which they have turned down on advice of their agent, to then come back to the club and say, actually, your deal was good is it still available.

You have to imagine saints will have given them a deadline as we will need to recruit their replacement.

I really struggle to understand players at our level having agents. Hardly multi million deals they are asking them to negotiate on.

9 hours ago, Radford said:

The HRP interview with Geoff Brown was a great listen. You could hear what he's got to say for hours and never get bored. Read JW saying on WAP that it was an interview 25 years in the making, but it was worth the wait. 

Clear to see which managers he had all the time in the world for and which ones he... didn't. 

3 hours ago, Radford said:

Brilliant stuff. Exactly as you say you could listen to his St Johnstone tales for hours. There's no bullshit at all with him, he tells it exactly how he sees it.

He doesn't miss P&K Council or a few others, such as all the clubs who went into liquidation but got to stay in the premier whilst we went down.  Good to also hear him mention how poor it is that no Saints players are getting international recognition, the more I think about it the more annoying it is. I mean a lad that's played half a dozen first team games for Rangers over a players who plays the RWB position every week and torn the league up since he came in.  Shaun Rooney has every right to be raging all summer.  And Gordon, McCart and Kerr watching some haddies in there ahead of them all year ... 

He obviously has a lot of time for Sturrock.

You could do a 10 part series of interviews with him going through the years since he took over and it would be fascinating.

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

He doesn't miss P&K Council or a few others, such as all the clubs who went into liquidation but got to stay in the premier whilst we went down.  Good to also hear him mention how poor it is that no Saints players are getting international recognition, the more I think about it the more annoying it is. I mean a lad that's played half a dozen first team games for Rangers over a players who plays the RWB position every week and torn the league up since he came in.  Shaun Rooney has every right to be raging all summer.  And Gordon, McCart and Kerr watching some haddies in there ahead of them all year ... 

This is a long term bugbear of mine, and particularly so recently. And especially with the current crop of centre backs. And especially when you look at the list of haddies (or at least distinctly average/no better than Saints’ current trio) called up in that position recently:

Ryan Porteous (I mean come on...), John Souttar, David Bates, early Celtic era Jack Hendry, Stuart Findlay, Michael Devlin (a crock who was never that good in the first place and who has caps as recent as 18 months ago).

Thats before you get to any argument about the current form and ability (and past character) of Declan Gallagher and the actual level of ability of Jack Hendry (suspect defensively IMO) in the latest squad.

I think if Rooney had been starting since July and putting in those performances it would’ve been harder for Clarke to ignore him. He can always argue he only came into a game since January and point to Patterson having played a few games but not likely to start ahead of SOD.

I’m more annoyed they Kerr was overlooked for Gallagher, must wonder if Clarke is regretting not giving Kerr a chance in the end.

Gallagher just timed it well IMO.

Earned Clarkes trust when he first came in and the dour c**t won't take any risks with CBs for a tournament. Suspect/hope if Kerrs/Gallaghers respective form continues into next season, and/or Hendry plays in Scotland and we all see his flaws regularly again, then Kerr will get his call up.

O'Donnell ahead of Rooney is similar. Rooney just timed his form wrong. Again though, he should get a chance next season, as I suspect Patterson is only there to experience a "tournament environment", rather than to actually contribute.

If he still ignores Saints player after this season, and if they can continue their form, then we'll never get a player capped by Scotland again.

Fair assessment.
I remember a BBC journalist putting to Clarke why he’d stuck by Gallagher and SOD at the last international break and he’d muttered about knowing that they brought to the table and moved on.

Interesting the BBC article says we "lost £2m in cash flow" this season due to Covid. Not entirely sure how that's broken down in terms of actual losses.
Brown has an unreal ability to obliterate folk with what seems the most minimal of effort though. A massive dig at TW while simultaneously making it seem like he's just an after though. 
Screenshot_20210527-185027_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b2c83f4f42d9cf3961fd04614e7b8f63.jpg
Refuse to believe the "such a likeable individual" bit isn't a dig at TW.
I see praise for Callum, nothing more.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Gallagher just timed it well IMO.

Earned Clarkes trust when he first came in and the dour c**t won't take any risks with CBs for a tournament. Suspect/hope if Kerrs/Gallaghers respective form continues into next season, and/or Hendry plays in Scotland and we all see his flaws regularly again, then Kerr will get his call up.

O'Donnell ahead of Rooney is similar. Rooney just timed his form wrong. Again though, he should get a chance next season, as I suspect Patterson is only there to experience a "tournament environment", rather than to actually contribute.

If he still ignores Saints player after this season, and if they can continue their form, then we'll never get a player capped by Scotland again.

The thing is, going by recent history, this generation might never get to experience a major international tournament again.  This is likely to be the most successful Saints side of many of our lifetimes, we are the third best team in the country over the past decade, and yet we haven't had a single player called up to a squad in the past 9 years?  Come on to f**k.

You could do a list of all the players and their clubs who have been called up over the period - your Jack Hamilton and 32 year old Jamie MacDonald over Zander around the time Zander broke the club clean sheet record, May being the top young striker in the country ignored all season, then being called up 3 months after he leaves, Rooney behind a lad with 5 first team appearances, Kerr behind a player who was punted by Celtic for being hopeless - and many more.

The thing is, going by recent history, this generation might never get to experience a major international tournament again.  This is likely to be the most successful Saints side of many of our lifetimes, we are the third best team in the country over the past decade, and yet we haven't had a single player called up to a squad in the past 9 years?  Come on to f**k.
You could do a list of all the players and their clubs who have been called up over the period - your Jack Hamilton and 32 year old Jamie MacDonald over Zander around the time Zander broke the club clean sheet record, May being the top young striker in the country ignored all season, then being called up 3 months after he leaves, Rooney behind a lad with 5 first team appearances, Kerr behind a player who was punted by Celtic for being hopeless - and many more.

Absolutely correct. Tbh I have lost interest in Scotland over the last few years, mainly due to the continued bias against Saints players.

Think sometimes the calls for Saints players to be called up are from a biased place but the same can't be said at the moment.

It's criminal that Kerr is not in a squad that includes (and has fairly recently included) the likes of Hendry, Considine, Bates, Devlin and even McKenna. Even Gallagher although he has been excellent for Scotland, but there's no way he is actually better than Kerr.

If you live in the west of Scotland,  work in the west of Scotland, all your friends are in the west of Scotland, most of the football chat by nature will be about teams in the west of Scotland. That's just natural. The only other time teams will register in conversation will be if it's a so called bigger Scottish side,  St Johnstone aren't that. 

Having said that, out of our current squad only Jason Kerr is anywhere near good enough and I'd even debate that tbh.

These boys can to go on to do whatever they like in their careers now. They have given us something that was thought to be beyond the realms of any possibility and for that, deserve to move on with everyone's best wishes, whenever that may be.

Having said that, I'd be very interested to see how these players operate when they're not working as a unit under Callum. Jason, McCart and Gordon are absolutely solid - phenomenal, but would they necessarily perform at other teams the same if that core was broken up? Can't help but feel that they compliment each other perfectly, and that is absolutely crucial to our success.

🏆🏆