Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I held off posting yesterday, mainly because I’d had a few drinks, but also because I want to reflect on what we’ve just achieved. I know there are many St Johnstone fans out there who’ll write better than me, portray feelings better than me, have watched saints for far longer than me, but I’ll give it a shot. 

Yesterday was the greatest moment in St Johnstone football clubs long history. We’d already been dubbed the second most successful team on the last decade, I’d wager pound for pound we’re the most successful team in Europe over the last decade! Every person to a man who’s involved in any way shape or form with this magnificent football club can say they’ve played their part in getting us there. Yes we’ve had ups and downs, but my god I wouldn’t trade places with any other fan. 

This is a squad and club built on humble thoughts, hard work and an amazing ethic. Whether we play Kelly Hearts, Dunfermline, Clyde, Rangers or Hibs the players give the same 110% each time. The management gives them the tactical respect they deserve and whilst we may admire and respect many opposition teams and players, we don’t ever think they’re better than us. As fans we’re all the same. We go into every game expecting not to win, but secretly every one of us knows that right now this team isn’t going to let us down or go down without fighting tooth and nail. It makes you proud to be associated with this unbelievable football club, proud to wear the badge, proud to say you’re a fan of a diddy team. That’s something so many fans of big clubs around the world will never feel, when the world is against you and the team comes out swinging, the pride and emotion that it can generate is like nothing else. 

I may not be from Perth, I’ve never lived there, or even particularly liked the place. But my god it will ever have a place in my heart for producing St Johnstone and playing home to them. I just hope all the players and people around the club know how badly we’d all want to be there celebrating with them. We may not be large in number, but we’ve got a hell of a voice. So I just hope that to a man, whether you’re a lapsed fan, a die hard, a newly found fan that when the time comes, that 20 man squad and their management team get the loudest reception McDiarmid Park has ever seen or heard, because by god we’ve all missed it, this season especially.  And I for one cannot wait to be surrounded by my fellow fans cheering this history making club on to further adventures and success. 

We are St Johnstone Football Club and I don’t think anyone is going to forget that any time soon! 

Big thanks to all the neutrals and the not-so-neutrals, shows the real strength of the community.  Maybe we won't see anything like this again in our lifetimes but other teams might.

Emotionally ruined after yesterday, whole family greeting like Spooneys. Would have been great to be there but nothing is taking away from this for me. Nothing. 

Hopefully this is a real springboard for the club in a way that didn't quite happen after the first SC. 

COYS

9 minutes ago, Widge said:

I held off posting yesterday, mainly because I’d had a few drinks, but also because I want to reflect on what we’ve just achieved. I know there are many St Johnstone fans out there who’ll write better than me, portray feelings better than me, have watched saints for far longer than me, but I’ll give it a shot. 

Yesterday was the greatest moment in St Johnstone football clubs long history. We’d already been dubbed the second most successful team on the last decade, I’d wager pound for pound we’re the most successful team in Europe over the last decade! Every person to a man who’s involved in any way shape or form with this magnificent football club can say they’ve played their part in getting us there. Yes we’ve had ups and downs, but my god I wouldn’t trade places with any other fan. 

This is a squad and club built on humble thoughts, hard work and an amazing ethic. Whether we play Kelly Hearts, Dunfermline, Clyde, Rangers or Hibs the players give the same 110% each time. The management gives them the tactical respect they deserve and whilst we may admire and respect many opposition teams and players, we don’t ever think they’re better than us. As fans we’re all the same. We go into every game expecting not to win, but secretly every one of us knows that right now this team isn’t going to let us down or go down without fighting tooth and nail. It makes you proud to be associated with this unbelievable football club, proud to wear the badge, proud to say you’re a fan of a diddy team. That’s something so many fans of big clubs around the world will never feel, when the world is against you and the team comes out swinging, the pride and emotion that it can generate is like nothing else. 

I may not be from Perth, I’ve never lived there, or even particularly liked the place. But my god it will ever have a place in my heart for producing St Johnstone and playing home to them. I just hope all the players and people around the club know how badly we’d all want to be there celebrating with them. We may not be large in number, but we’ve got a hell of a voice. So I just hope that to a man, whether you’re a lapsed fan, a die hard, a newly found fan that when the time comes, that 20 man squad and their management team get the loudest reception McDiarmid Park has ever seen or heard, because by god we’ve all missed it, this season especially.  And I for one cannot wait to be surrounded by my fellow fans cheering this history making club on to further adventures and success. 

We are St Johnstone Football Club and I don’t think anyone is going to forget that any time soon! 

FFS Widge you've set me off again! Brilliant post.

Well done St Johnstone. The  best  season probably in your history. It's just a pity the supporters couldn't have been there and shared it with them. 

(Bloody  pandemic)

Well done again and good  luck next season. 

A Clyde supporter.

Edited by BW Charlie

17 minutes ago, Widge said:

Excellent reading. It’s these kind of posts that confirm my thoughts that football is the best fucking sport in the world.

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Where does Rooney rank in list of all time St. Johnstone heroes? 

It's incredible what he's done in just over half a season of football, he's probably all time top 10 already.

I couldn't find it in me to rate him above Anderson, Wotherspoon, Craig, Davidson. The three centre halves that played yesterday won't get the attention but they are the absolute cornerstone of our success this season. But for injuries Murray Davidson would likely have been our all time appearance holder by now and would have played all three games.

Recency bias aside my #1 is David Wotherspoon. All three medals and an assist in both Scottish Cup wins.

10 minutes ago, Johnstoun said:

It's incredible what he's done in just over half a season of football, he's probably all time top 10 already.

I couldn't find it in me to rate him above Anderson, Wotherspoon, Craig, Davidson. The three centre halves that played yesterday won't get the attention but they are the absolute cornerstone of our success this season. But for injuries Murray Davidson would likely have been our all time appearance holder by now and would have played all three games.

Recency bias aside my #1 is David Wotherspoon. All three medals and an assist in both Scottish Cup wins.

Fair enough. A defender battering in two winners in two cup finals in his debut season is genuine Roy of the Rovers stuff. The sort of stuff that will see folk in a hundred years still talking about him fondly. 

Rooney is probably the biggest "cult hero" the club has ever had, now. This whole squad have become legends to varying degrees now.

Despite the goals he doesn't compare to the likes of Craig, Davidson, May etc. as club legends. 

I also now think there's zero debate that David Wotherspoon is the greatest player in our history.

Think he's close to the appearance record, despite his entire spell with us being in the top flight. Started in all 3 Cup wins, set up goals in 2.

Rooney is probably the biggest "cult hero" the club has ever had, now. This whole squad have become legends to varying degrees now.
Despite the goals he doesn't compare to the likes of Craig, Davidson, May etc. as club legends. 
I also now think there's zero debate that David Wotherspoon is the greatest player in our history.
Think he's close to the appearance record, despite his entire spell with us being in the top flight. Started in all 3 Cup wins, set up goals in 2.

There’s something about Wotherspoon that epitomises us as a team, imo. Understated, underrated, more entertaining than given credit for, doesn’t make things easy for himself, takes the unexpected route (Perth boy to Hibs to us) etc etc.

I think he’s fucking great and will be remembered as Mr St Johnstone long after we are all dead.

It's just all fucking great isn't it :)

Was driving along the M18 yesterday afternoon towards the A1 at full time. 

Nearly turned left and headed North. Probably should have. I'd be upside fucking down somewhere now if I had.  

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

So, what’s next?

Go for the league now yeah?

3rd place and the Europa Groups, and then he's undisputed number 1 in terms of our greatest ever manager.

Obviously an argument he already is.

Forgetting cult heroes for a second. Is Shaun Rooney a more effective all round footballer than SOD? I know Killie fans say he’s Scotland’s next right back and they’ll probably jump on this. 

Not sure that what the Well fans think of him.

I think SOD is better defensively. Rooney brings a different skillset in our specific system, illustrated beautifully with the goal yesterday. He's built like a centre half, isn't particularly skillful but runs with power all day and is a clear mismatch if we get their CBs into the near post and isolate him on their LB/LWB.

Congrats Saintees - easily the best achievement by a provincial Scottish club in my lifetime.

Makes me think what might have been had my own club not come up against peak Rodgers Celtic the season we made both cup finals but you can only beat whats in front of you. We didn't and you guys did - congrats again!