Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Davidson on Sportsound talking up Zander for Scotland.

Reasonable?

I don't think so - 3rd at a push -  but we have 3 excellent centre backs and all of them should be being looked at. 

Absolute travesty that McCann was overlooked, would be good for the national team if they don't make the same mistake. 

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

Zander has it all there. He’s just very good at making daft decisions at the wrong moment.

He definitely should be considered for 3rd choice and 2nd. But to be capped at be a continuous choice a massive improvement is needed.

I’d say there is more chance of Rooney, Kerr & Gordon being capped.

Clark should have been called up when he was at the top of his form and we were picking idiots like Archer and - shamefully - Jack Hamilton for squads. He hasn’t been at that form for a long time so shouldn’t really be in with a shout, but if he could go a long stretch playing like he did on Sunday then he certainly would be worth a shout.

Kerr, for my money, should be considered at least on the same level as Declan Gallacher and Andy Considine and has blatantly had a better season than either. RCB is a problem area for Scotland and Kerr plays pretty much the exact type of game I think Clarke wants his RCB to play. It really is mystifying how Kerr hasn’t had a call up when you look at the roll call of haddies who have had a call up at CB in recent years.

Rooney is up against Stephen O’Donnell and Liam Palmer - neither of whom have had good seasons. In Palmer’s case, he’s been widely derided by his own fans in a dreadful team that is on the cusp of being relegated from the Championship. He’s also played the majority of games this calendar year at positions other than right back. Nathan Patterson is certainly one for the future, but has so far played five full games of football in his professional career. SOD will probably be the starter - but you can certainly make a case for taking some one like Rooney, who has not only had an excellent season and achieved far more than SOD this year - and been a stand out into the bargain, but who would add something totally different in terms of his aerial ability going forward.

Agree with all of that.
Rooney is probably unfortunate in that Patterson has come on the scene and is already being mentioned as Scotlands next RB.

With it being a 26 person squad I’d certainly imagine there is a good chance of Rooney being involved this summer.

37 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Davidson on Sportsound talking up Zander for Scotland.

Reasonable?

No. If he does it'll be down to a dearth of other options more than anything.

If he can reach the levels he did 2/3 years ago consistently then he has a chance.

28 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Agree with all of that.
Rooney is probably unfortunate in that Patterson has come on the scene and is already being mentioned as Scotlands next RB.

With it being a 26 person squad I’d certainly imagine there is a good chance of Rooney being involved this summer.

The Patterson hype train is something to behold. Sure, he’s looked decent when he’s come in and has done a job. But you’ve seen him being spoken of as having had a “great performance” when he’s been competent and not a lot more. I saw some giving him a lot of praise for his brief appearance at McDiarmid last week, a game in which I hardly noticed him when he came on. Will he displace Tavernier for the start of next season? Probably not. 

Clark should have been called up when he was at the top of his form and we were picking idiots like Archer and - shamefully - Jack Hamilton for squads. He hasn’t been at that form for a long time so shouldn’t really be in with a shout, but if he could go a long stretch playing like he did on Sunday then he certainly would be worth a shout.
Kerr, for my money, should be considered at least on the same level as Declan Gallacher and Andy Considine and has blatantly had a better season than either. RCB is a problem area for Scotland and Kerr plays pretty much the exact type of game I think Clarke wants his RCB to play. It really is mystifying how Kerr hasn’t had a call up when you look at the roll call of haddies who have had a call up at CB in recent years.
Rooney is up against Stephen O’Donnell and Liam Palmer - neither of whom have had good seasons. In Palmer’s case, he’s been widely derided by his own fans in a dreadful team that is on the cusp of being relegated from the Championship. He’s also played the majority of games this calendar year at positions other than right back. Nathan Patterson is certainly one for the future, but has so far played five full games of football in his professional career. SOD will probably be the starter - but you can certainly make a case for taking some one like Rooney, who has not only had an excellent season and achieved far more than SOD this year - and been a stand out into the bargain, but who would add something totally different in terms of his aerial ability going forward.
The other upside of playing Kerr at RCB is that McTominay could then play in his best position.

Rooney would be a total squad wildcard. These continental full backs won't know how to handle some daft big c**t from Paisley that goes like a train and is good at winning set pieces. It's not the craziest thing.

Rooney would be a total squad wildcard. These continental full backs won't know how to handle some daft big c**t from Paisley that goes like a train and is good at winning set pieces. It's not the craziest thing.
Bellshill, he's the Bellshill Cafu.

37 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Some sauve Italian in loafers interviewed 10 years down the line, asked who the most difficult player to play against in his career was, answering "this big bald Scotsman, who'd just run into you then stand laughing as you squirmed about in pain" 😂

13 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

They play different positions though. Considine is about 4th choice LCB and Gallagher is the big man in the middle to win headers. Kerr is up against McTominay and Hanley from the looks of things.

13 hours ago, Costanza said:

I’d keep MOH for the squad. It’s probably recency bias but his role in the equaliser on Sunday can’t be highlighted enough. Carrying ball long distance, holding off challenges, winning the corner. He could have scored a couple of times in the game too, being critical you’d say he should have. I think he offers something from the bench in certain games/situations. Am always wary of signing too many players in the summer. As well sticking with him.

This is exactly where I'm at with him. Can completely understand the feelings he's been poor this season and is past his best, but I think his season got off to a stinker and he never really recovered.  This after being hugely talked up by his manager as a big player.

He was a big player for us on Sunday night, probably should have scored, but he was the only one who could go past a player and cause a problem in behind, forcing rangers deeper, and was massive in the build up to the goal. Other than Tanser's volley and the goal, I can't remember us having any other goal threat all game.

If it's him or a player like Pawlett who's lived off a decent 6 month spell in 2014, it's MOH all day long for me.

I trust Davidson's ability to work on him and get a lot more improvement with a full pre-season.

The contract I would splash a lot of money improving is Callum Davidson.

Surely going to the very top and our biggest asset.  2 years left out of 3; extend him to a 5 year deal on improved terms.  There's very little risk as he's more than proven he's never going to be a dud.

He's unlikely to see it out, but it maximises the compensation we'd get from him when a Blackburn or Preston come knocking. Have a gentleman's agreement you'll not stand in his way.

We have always been very lucky that Scottish football is full of ego driven owners who always like to prove they know best.  With Tommy Wright, the Edinburgh clubs overlooked him numerous times for various questionable options.

Even with Davidson, Aberdeen bring in a huge gamble from an American reserve league rather than at least attempt to go for a man who has won a cup and has a team playing attractive football, the two things his support are crying out for.  Personally, if I was a Celtic fan (🤢), I'd far prefer Davidson to Howe as well.

32 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

This is exactly where I'm at with him. Can completely understand the feelings he's been poor this season and is past his best, but I think his season got off to a stinker and he never really recovered.  This after being hugely talked up by his manager as a big player.

He was a big player for us on Sunday night, probably should have scored, but he was the only one who could go past a player and cause a problem in behind, forcing rangers deeper, and was massive in the build up to the goal. Other than Tanser's volley and the goal, I can't remember us having any other goal threat all game.

If it's him or a player like Pawlett who's lived off a decent 6 month spell in 2014, it's MOH all day long for me.

I trust Davidson's ability to work on him and get a lot more improvement with a full pre-season.

Whilst I agree, O'Halloran was coming on to play against a defence which had already played 80 minutes and was pushing up searching a winner in normal time. I don't think the likes of May or Melamed would have made the same run; however, they'd also have gotten more joy based on the way the game was being played at that point.