Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I think I agree with the above, May hasn’t taken a player on successfully for seasons now. There was a time he’s quickly shift it and aim back post assuming it’ll go in or someone will get it. The movement is still there, but he’s not doing anything with it any more. The more I watch, the more I think he’s not worth another deal. 

Then again I don’t actually think Melamed is any better apart from the goals part. His movement is as good, but more importantly it’s in the right areas and he gets himself free in the box which May doesn’t. I don’t think Melameds link up play is anything special though, even yesterday against Clyde things were still bouncing off him at times. 

May is still an intelligent player, some good runs and wee flicks, but he's the highest paid player in the club's history by all accounts, so needs to offer a lot more than some nice little touches 40 yards from goal.

As if there was any doubt, the type of attacking options the manager has been interested in; Middleton and Pawlett, and the championing of O'Halloran at the start of the season, tell us all we need to know about our formation next season.

Quick players to play on either side of a front three, who will spend most of the match harrying and closing down.  Is Chris Kane the ideal player to be in the middle? He certainly brings the energy, workrate and makes the defenders' life hell, but I don't see where the goals are coming from in a Middleton Kane Pawlett front three.

Davidson wants his forwards to be very defensive minded, which is where Guy doesn't fit in at all.  He's already paving the way for Melamed leaving, hinting that we'll be priced out.  I'll be amazed but delighted if Guy is still here next season.

I've said it before, that 5-2-3/ 3-4-3 Davidson loves so much is fine against stronger opposition to stop them settling on the ball and building from the back, but it's nowhere near as effective for us in beating opposition at a similar or lesser level.  The next two matches are where it belongs.

I find it a hard watch in home matches, though I think it's made a lot worse by the fact that we have to watch on tv, might be better in person..

7 minutes ago, Widge said:

Then again I don’t actually think Melamed is any better apart from the goals part. His movement is as good, but more importantly it’s in the right areas and he gets himself free in the box which May doesn’t. I don’t think Melameds link up play is anything special though, even yesterday against Clyde things were still bouncing off him at times. 

This'll get me slated, but IMO Melamed is an average finisher at best.

Biggest thing about him is he's almost constantly in the right area when the ball comes in the box, so he'll inevitably get at least one decent chance every match.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Biggest thing about him is he's almost constantly in the right area when the ball comes in the box, so he'll inevitably get at least one decent chance every match.

Can you put up his shots and goals stats per minutes played and compare to Kane and May.  Whether it's due to positioning or finishing, or a combination of the two,  he's still still a far more effective goal threat than anyone else currently on our books.

45 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Can you put up his shots and goals stats per minutes played and compare to Kane and May.  Whether it's due to positioning or finishing, or a combination of the two,  he's still still a far more effective goal threat than anyone else currently on our books.

Yeah no bother, not sure when though as dogs getting a huge walk 😂

Agree he's by far our best goal threat.

I thought the same with Sandaza, fwiw. Doesn't strike the ball that well for some of his goals, although can score some screamers. Does miss chances, but seems to just constantly find space where the ball lands and gets his goal.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I’d actually agree. He’s not a brilliant finisher, but he hits the target and isn’t afraid to have a go, or get in the 6 yard box. Both of these things greatly increase his output. I know people have moaned about us not scoring goals at home, but when you consider 2/3 of the games have had May, Hendry or Kane up top it’s little wonder we aren’t scoring goals. Now I don’t for a minute think we’d be better off if Melamed had played instead, but i suspect we’d have more goals by virtue of actually having a striker in the damn box. 

1 hour ago, perthsaint1977 said:

I think we will be looking for 3 forwards in the window

Wouldn't be that surprising tbh.

I'd guess we could get any form of combination from Melamed getting a better offer, Kane/May asking for more than their worth, Hendry wanting to leave, that means 3 go out.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, perthsaint1977 said:

I think we will be looking for 3 forwards in the window

I don't really watch you guys on the regular, but I've seen enough of May, Kane and Hendry to know you're pretty toothless up front.

If Davidson can get you top 6 with that front line (and Melamed who I've only seen once which was against us). Then it's exciting times to be a St Johnstone fan if Davidson can address that issue with some real quality up top.

Easier said than done though tbf.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

I don't really watch you guys on the regular, but I've seen enough of May, Kane and Hendry to know you're pretty toothless up front.

If Davidson can get you top 6 with that front line (and Melamed who I've only seen once which was against us). Then it's exciting times to be a St Johnstone fan if Davidson can address that issue with some real quality up top.

Easier said than done though tbf.

Tbf, the back 3 got us into the top 6 more than anyone. Our defensive record is incredible when you remove the 4/5 goals a decent keeper saves.

If we got a Siegrist level keeper, and a 10+ goals a season striker, then we'd be fighting for 3rd.

4 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

I think Connor Shields is the only striker we've been linked with during the past couple of months. Would happily take him, but he's obviously an unknown quantity at this level.

This'll sound stupid, but his ability to score long range efforts masks his actual quality, I think.

Aside from a wee spell of a couple of games, hes been nothing more than an average Championship striker, on paper. Obviously could step up and perform above that, but I'd be a bit worried off the bat if he was anything more than 3rd choice next season.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Cheers.

No huge surprise. The last stat is just as telling as the goal related ones.  Guy tries to get a strike at goal while the other two take far too many touches in the box trying to work the perfect opening for themselves or others.

Yeah wanted to see how that came out, and happy it showed what we probably all thought. A lot of Mays efforts are outside the box too.

Interesting from Michael O'Halloran's Courier interview that the manager hasn't even sat down and spoken with him yet about a new deal. Kind of spells the end for him, as if Davidson had any interest in keeping him at the club he'd have surely put the wheels in motion. Personally I think it's time to go our separate ways, he's not the same player he was and his output doesn't match his wage, so for that reason alone he should be moved on. I don't see a long term for him at that right wing spot, nor will he ever be a wingback, which adds to the reasons. 

19 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Watching that really did emphasise the difference in May's pace & athleticism difference pre & post injury. Night and day. 

Totally different player now. It's actually sad to see.