Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

(Dees - can Kerr play CB or LB/LWB?)

Your best bet is CB. He lacks composure for a RB, it's just a constant hoof up the line. Advancing he's okay but his crossing is abysmal. Has decent pace about him, can tackle and header although has tended to get thrown about a bit too easily. Heart on his sleeve type. If you're penned in he will look a good signing. If you're looking to take it to teams he's a waste of a shirt. 

Edit : LB/LWB is a definite no-no. Left foot does not compute, runs around the ball to get it back on his right. :lol:

Edited by Mr. Alli

Considering our recent attempts at a CB/RB back up (Comrie, Keown, Duffy), its safe to say we could probably do worse than Kerr.

Of the back 5, realistically, we'll only be looking for a starting LWB this Summer (unless someone's sold). Getting back ups in is vital though, we got lucky this season, and even then had games with McCann at RWB.

Considering our recent attempts at a CB/RB back up (Comrie, Keown, Duffy), its safe to say we could probably do worse than Kerr.
Of the back 5, realistically, we'll only be looking for a starting LWB this Summer (unless someone's sold). Getting back ups in is vital though, we got lucky this season, and even then had games with McCann at RWB.

Yeah basically my thoughts. More than any other position I trust Callum’s judgment wrt picking full backs too

Cammy Kerr is a very ‘us’ signing. Maybe there’s a player there or maybe he’s just pish but I imagine Callum would feel he could coach him into a good player or at least into being good enough to play backup to Rooney. Calum’s coaching with full backs has turned Rooney from avg championship player into one of our most effective players. Booth had been shite for years too but has been solid for us.

(Dees - can Kerr play CB or LB/LWB?)
Booth was decent under Tommy too. I'd like to think we can get an upgrade in the summer though.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Edit : LB/LWB is a definite no-no. Left foot does not compute, runs around the ball to get it back on his right. :lol:

Don't worry, you don't need to explain. He'll be playing LB for the rest of our season so they'll have plenty of opportunity to see and understand.

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Cammy Kerr and Peter Pawlett.

Hud me fucking back.

Tbf considering how the agents of Tanser/Kane are acting, you should probably be glad it's the Kerr/Pawlett stories being leaked, as it's clear they won't actually be in talks with us.

10 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I had been told Cammy had an offer from a Premiership club and just sort of assumed it was Livingston. 

Fair play to him and his agent (and his lass) if he can get a move to the top league. Had a decent half a season 4 years ago and has lived off of it ever since with the "He's Dundee thru n thru" brigade. 

I think he'd be a lost cause. Not a particularly cheap one, either. 

Probably not us as we have Devlin at RB

St Johnstone manager Callum Davidson tells BBC Sportsound: "All credit to Clyde, they had a real go in the last 10 to 15 minutes.

"I thought our front three played really. They adapted really well together today.

On Guy Melamed: "He links the play really well and he's a goal scorer. We're trying to keep him but we might not be able to afford to. We're working hard to try do that if we can but we might get priced out."

Yeah I resigned to losing Guy some time ago. He will likely get plenty of strong offers from down south and that was likely his game plan. I just thank him for coming here in a pandemic by himself. To miss so many games and to be benched so often and yet he has stuck at it like a good pro. I’ll enjoy watching him for the remainder of the season. 

The next fortnight will play a part for Melamed as well. He has barely featured in any big games, which must help the part of the brain that says just follow the money. 

If he believed the manager really trusted him and wanted him as the man to lead the line in our biggest games, it offers far more incentive to stay.

I'm not saying the manager is necessarily wrong but from Melamed's point of view, that must be a factor.

The shape today made sense in that it allowed Melamed to play in it. Has he pushed himself into the reckoning for the upcoming Old Firm games? Questionable. 

I'd be surprised if Kane doesn't start on his own in both OF games coming up, definitely will v Rangers on Wednesday IMO.

I'd prefer us to start with Melamed in a two, as hes got an uncanny ability of getting shots off in the box, regardless of whats happening around him. Split second loose ball in the box and he could grab the goal that wins us the game, Kane/May don't offer that IMO.

May was heavily involved yesterday but one of those games where nothing really comes off. I do think it's a shame that he has such a reluctance to shoot at times. He still breaks into those channels he did 7 or 8 years ago but it never seems to even enter his head to just face up the defender and try and get a shot away. 

That used to be all he would do but he needs to find the middle ground between that and whatever it is that he thinks he's trying to do these days. 

7 minutes ago, Radford said:

May was heavily involved yesterday but one of those games where nothing really comes off. I do think it's a shame that he has such a reluctance to shoot at times. He still breaks into those channels he did 7 or 8 years ago but it never seems to even enter his head to just face up the defender and try and get a shot away. 

That used to be all he would do but he needs to find the middle ground between that and whatever it is that he thinks he's trying to do these days. 

I still mewl about it, but the Hamilton game (30/12/20)  was a real nadir moment. 6 shot, 0 on target, not a single one made any sense.

In the 3.5 months since, hes attempted just 5 shots in the league.

I'm probably wrong, but it felt like he could tell he was struggling for goals, folk were getting on his back for not just shooting, so against Hamilton he just skelped every single ball he could. When nothing happened hes just given up. Even when he gets shots off theres very little conviction in them.