Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A year ago today was the Ayr game.

Not a single game this season, including a Cup Semi that we won 3-0, has even come close to getting me as excited. I'm not even hugely nervous about the Final. 

If the ticket was sitting in my house I'd already be shitting it with excitement.

What a year this could've been btw. Opening day trip to Tannadice, Dens in the Cup, winning a Semi v Hibs 3-0, reaching a winnable Cup Final, Scotland at the Euros. Watching the games on TV/laptop won't come close.

Pretty much it. 

We scored against Hibs. I could have been hugging all the random strangers around me. 

Instead there was a semi mild fist pump. 

Probably TMI for football forum but one thing I've learned from the pandemic is once football was removed from my life it's been made obvious my life revolves around football as without it, I don't do anything with my life aside work 😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

If you mean covering the general costs of the football club then, yes youre right. If any club is streaming and not covering the cost of the streaming and making some money on top then they are doing it wrong. Badly wrong.

I mean that matchday income will be massively down this season compared to previous seasons, to the point where we've probably bought less money in on matchdays so far than any other season since promotion at least.

We made a £50k loss last season, attributed to missing a few home games worth of income. This season is likely only going to be salvaged by Final money + increased league money, and even then should be a six figure loss.

I mean that matchday income will be massively down this season compared to previous seasons, to the point where we've probably bought less money in on matchdays so far than any other season since promotion at least.
We made a £50k loss last season, attributed to missing a few home games worth of income. This season is likely only going to be salvaged by Final money + increased league money, and even then should be a six figure loss.
OK, in that case I'm sure youre right.

It would be nice to keep ppv and it be an additional income stream but its not going to be allowed and even if it were there are so many questions over whether it would be a net positive or negative.

5 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Pretty much it. 

We scored against Hibs. I could have been hugging all the random strangers around me. 

Instead there was a semi mild fist pump. 

Aye.

Can imagine the scenes when Murphy misses his chance, then Kerr absolutely melts the opener in. Can envisage the whole stand rising as the ball goes across goal for Conway to tap in the 3rd. The excitement every time Rooney charged forward in that final half hour.

Genuinely gutted we never got the experience that. A chance to bond with a new manager over a special match that we would all have remembered for years afterwards.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Genuinely gutted we never got the experience that. A chance to bond with a new manager over a special match that we would all have remembered for years afterwards.

The thing is, maybe we wouldn't have experienced that. It's impossible to say how the season would have played out with fans there. Positive or negative, it obviously has some level of impact. Would the league table look exactly as it does now? Absolutely not. Would we be in the cup final? No idea. That's the way I like to think about it. This makes me feel better about missing out on the journey. Various factors have all aligned and we're now in a cup final, something which might not have happened if we'd been there. Anyway, how many fans can say that their team has won a cup during a pandemic and they weren't allowed to witness it? It could potentially be quite a remarkable story in the club's history.

On another note, live games before PPV every day of the week.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

i must have missed this bit?? I read it as a £20K loss??.

I don't disagree that PPV won't continue but the post from @Shaggy Jenkins shows why it's a missed opportunity.

When we play away at a Killie on a midweek night in winter, there isn't 100 away fans. Why is making the game accessible to more people a bad thing? Why is giving folk who live in the Highlands or down south the chance to watch their team every week (without using a VPN) a bad thing? 

With the international offerings on clubs' own TV channels, games are going to be on illegal streaming sites every week, so why not tackle that head on by offering a legal option? 

As said, I've no doubt we'll just go back to as things were though. 

Watching games on PPV on your own with zero atmosphere doesn't even come close to 

Getting up in the morning,heading to the pub to meet mates 

On the bus if its an away game 

Pub in the town and journey from pub to ground 

In the ground,@programme,meet up with more mates 

The joy if a goal for

The anguish of a goal against 

The feeling of excitement with minutes to go 

Back to the pub to celebrate or drown sorrows with mates 

And home 

Wake up all happy if you win and crabby b*****d if you lose

And repeat. 

A wee square box doesn't even touch the sides of those emotions 

Anyone that says different is a liar

25 minutes ago, Center half said:

i must have missed this bit?? I read it as a £20K loss??.

I've likely misremembered the amount and go it wrong tbh.

11 minutes ago, Radford said:

@Shaggy Jenkinswith the international offerings on clubs' own TV channels, games are going to be on illegal streaming sites every week, so why not tackle that head on by offering a legal option? 

This is another point, I was not able to make many games last season but with an international subscription I was able to get most of the home and away games.

As this was the only option I would rather do that than the obvious hooky streams as saints get some money from it. This year I could of done the same but prefer to pay the 'full' price for the game

Now if things return to normal I am back to the old VPN but it's a massive loss to the club compared to the PPV prices 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I don't disagree that PPV won't continue but the post from @Shaggy Jenkins shows why it's a missed opportunity.

When we play away at a Killie on a midweek night in winter, there isn't 100 away fans. Why is making the game accessible to more people a bad thing? Why is giving folk who live in the Highlands or down south the chance to watch their team every week (without using a VPN) a bad thing? 

With the international offerings on clubs' own TV channels, games are going to be on illegal streaming sites every week, so why not tackle that head on by offering a legal option? 

40 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

This is another point, I was not able to make many games last season but with an international subscription I was able to get most of the home and away games.

As this was the only option I would rather do that than the obvious hooky streams as saints get some money from it. This year I could of done the same but prefer to pay the 'full' price for the game

Now if things return to normal I am back to the old VPN but it's a massive loss to the club compared to the PPV prices 

Theres nothing wrong with any of these things, they are all good reasons to continue with PPV.

Unfortunately, the dont exist in isolation though.

For every fan down south who can watch the club theres potentially one or more closer to home who would go to the game but chooses not to in favour of watching the stream. Worse, theres the family who instead of paying for four tickets buys one PPV. Or the local pub who keeps the punters in the pub for the afternoon, with the club getting one PPV sub.

Your 100 Killie fans becomes 10 and your 2000 (for example) home fans becomes 1500, or worse. Even forgetting about the loss of income you've suddenly less fans in the ground which is the opposite of what we all want.

As I said, if it were to be allowed a St Johnstone stream isnt competing against attending the game. Instead of the decision being go to the game v watch the Saints stream, it becomes go to the game v watch the Saints stream v watch the OF stream v stay in the pub or potentially v watch the EPL or Premiership on Sky.

Again, as I said you could debate forever whether or not the net effect of all of this would be positive or negative and we wont know unless we try. However, theres enough doubt and risk around it to ensure we probably never will. 

9 hours ago, THE FAT MAN said:

That's your opinion and it's not a wrong one for many, but It does for some, everyone is different and living in different situations. Open your mind before asserting things on others.

I don't disagree that PPV won't continue but the post from [mention=264]Shaggy Jenkins[/mention] shows why it's a missed opportunity.

If the game is not on sky then it would be a great idea. Charge the same as OAP gate money for all clubs and sell as a top up on your season ticket.

Watching games on PPV on your own with zero atmosphere doesn't even come close to 
Getting up in the morning,heading to the pub to meet mates 
On the bus if its an away game 
Pub in the town and journey from pub to ground 
In the ground,@programme,meet up with more mates 
The joy if a goal for
The anguish of a goal against 
The feeling of excitement with minutes to go 
Back to the pub to celebrate or drown sorrows with mates 
And home 
Wake up all happy if you win and crabby b*****d if you lose
And repeat. 

Totally agree but it’s better than nothing.

Living down south, I've loved being able to watch Saints again in recent months. Realistically, I'm not getting to more than a couple of games a season (and I'm not one of those selfless people who will buy a season ticket without getting anything in return). It would be great if the opportunity to watch the team and support the club financially continued beyond this season for people like me – but I fully appreciate why that's unlikely.

2 hours ago, akuram said:

If the game is not on sky then it would be a great idea. Charge the same as OAP gate money for all clubs and sell as a top up on your season ticket.

That would be madness for the club

You could have a household of 4 people or a group of mates all paying OAP money to watch a game. It would work in England with the massive TV deal but with about 40% of our revenue coming through the gate if all fans paid OAP rates or less the club could not afford its players.

It would need to be more than the walk in price to encourage fans to keep going to the games.

20 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

That would be madness for the club

You could have a household of 4 people or a group of mates all paying OAP money to watch a game. It would work in England with the massive TV deal but with about 40% of our revenue coming through the gate if all fans paid OAP rates or less the club could not afford its players.

It would need to be more than the walk in price to encourage fans to keep going to the games.

Aye, let's say 25 or 26 quid, I'm in. Worth every penny to not hear Ghostie bellow his shite opinions at the players.

Only problem is that where there's a stream there's the equivalent dodgy free stream. Big risk for a club our size to take.

41 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Only problem is that where there's a stream there's the equivalent dodgy free stream. Big risk for a club our size to take.

Massive

Part of my match day role just now im looking after the facebook page. Hopefully fans don't see the number of stream posts that come up there from around 1 hour before kick off as we have found a way to hide most of them before they show on the page. 

Most probably don't work but it takes facebook around 1 hour to activate the ban on that account and these people just set up account after account.