Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Now that Spoony has been tied down on a 2 year deal, I think Chris Kane should be the priority.  Obviously Tanser is also a key one.

Kane is in the form of his life. He’s holding the ball up well, winning headers, he’s turning his man, and working like mad making opposition defenders’ lives hell closing down when not in possession.  He’s not getting many goals, but I don’t think he’s ever going to be prolific.  He’s certainly giving us far more attacking impact than we’ve had all season.

He must be a managers dream. He’s selfless for the team and can play up on his own, or in a 2 or a 3.  This would have been laughed at 2 months ago, but if he continues the way he’s going then I could see an Aberdeen or hibs showing an interest in picking him up on a free in the summer.

He’s probably flying under the radar just now, which is why I hope the club get it sorted before the cup final.  It would be such a pity to wait all these years for him to hit a consistent patch of form then for him to leave on a free straight away. 

He obviously could lose form again, but we now see the player he can be, so it’s also on the coaching staff to get that out of him regularly.  All credit to Davidson and Maclean for that so far.

Now that Spoony has been tied down on a 2 year deal, I think Chris Kane should be the priority.  Obviously Tanser is also a key one.
Kane is in the form of his life. He’s holding the ball up well, winning headers, he’s turning his man, and working like mad making opposition defenders’ lives hell closing down when not in possession.  He’s not getting many goals, but I don’t think he’s ever going to be prolific.  He’s certainly giving us far more attacking impact than we’ve had all season.
He must be a managers dream. He’s selfless for the team and can play up on his own, or in a 2 or a 3.  This would have been laughed at 2 months ago, but if he continues the way he’s going then I could see an Aberdeen or hibs showing an interest in picking him up on a free in the summer.
He’s probably flying under the radar just now, which is why I hope the club get it sorted before the cup final.  It would be such a pity to wait all these years for him to hit a consistent patch of form then for him to leave on a free straight away. 
He obviously could lose form again, but we now see the player he can be, so it’s also on the coaching staff to get that out of him regularly.  All credit to Davidson and Maclean for that so far.
I said a few weeks ago that we needed to look for better than Chris Kane. I'm delighted he's been proving me wrong since then.

I was at Brechin (Forfarshire Cup) the night Chris Kane returned from the broken leg that had ruined such a long spell of his time with the U19s. I saw him score Saints' first goal in the new Development League a few months later and have always been a champion for him. 

But a few weeks ago I suggested that Saints maybe needed a clean break if they wanted to improve. 

I was wrong. 

I do wonder about Kane still tbh.

He's still not really scoring regularly, and has stopped even threatening again. Still our most "wasteful" striker in terms of chances.

His hold up play etc., is slightly better, but he's also getting players closer to him than when he was an isolated lone striker for TW. 

To me hes probably worth a new deal because he has improved this season and is reliable, but I'd still be wanting better to actually be starting every week.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I do wonder about Kane still tbh.

He's still not really scoring regularly, and has stopped even threatening again. Still our most "wasteful" striker in terms of chances.

His hold up play etc., is slightly better, but he's also getting players closer to him than when he was an isolated lone striker for TW. 

To me hes probably worth a new deal because he has improved this season and is reliable, but I'd still be wanting better to actually be starting every week.

Only one goal fewer than Lawrence “£3m+“ Shankland in half the minutes. Not a terrible return really. His all round game is vastly improved and he’s doing so much link work with the other attacking players and - crucially - winning free kicks in good positions regularly. Both goals yesterday come from his work in attacking areas drawing fouls. He’s far, far better now than even six weeks ago. That may prove to be temporary but he’s well worth an extension at this point.

28 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Only one goal fewer than Lawrence “£3m+“ Shankland in half the minutes. Not a terrible return really. His all round game is vastly improved and he’s doing so much link work with the other attacking players and - crucially - winning free kicks in good positions regularly. Both goals yesterday come from his work in attacking areas drawing fouls. He’s far, far better now than even six weeks ago. That may prove to be temporary but he’s well worth an extension at this point.

Kane averaging a goal every 274 minutes just now, and only has 1 shot on target since his goal v St Mirren. 4 goals all season.

I agree he's consistently playing better than he has, but being harsh that was a pretty low bar, and he had plenty of performances like yesterday's in previous seasons (plenty of hard work for the team, but zero goal threat). I still don't think he's good enough to be undisputed first choice for us if we genuinely want to be a top six side. As a back up striker, he's well worth a contract this season.

25 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Melamed could learn a lot from Kane in terms of hold up play and just rolling a simple pass to a team mate.........

*Ducks for cover

Guy was definitely off yesterday but in his defence I doubt he's played on a surface like that in his life. He's also noticeably short on pace. Still think there's a lot t like about him and want him to keep playing. With Hendry on loan we don't have a lot of options anyway. I'm sure that the pitch does play a big part in visitors poor performances, we seemed to hit a lot of passes short yesterday (according to Google our pass accuracy was only 55%, for comparison last 4 league games have been 66, 72, 69, 73). 

Was expecting to see Middleton yesterday, thought his energy could have sharpened up a fairly flat attack but even so we had double the shots on target of the home team. We only really used one sub yesterday, not sure what to think about that. 

What was heartening was that really didn't have to play anywhere near our best and there's goal threat throughout the team, a real confidence builder for the final.  Not sure I buy the line from Livi that they underperformed because they're missing big matchwinners. Guthrie I think is a very good player and Serano offers threat but Forrest, to me, seems a more than adequate replacement and big Roons had his number all day. Sibbald can be tricky but again I'm not sure he can turn a match around. Also interesting to see that Martindale seemed to lose it on the touchline, first bit of real pressure as a manager and he didn't seem to react well? Another positive for us. 

Only loss this year a one goal defeat away at Ibrox. Can't argue with that. 

Kane generally does alright with the instinctive chances but anything that involves composure, allows thinking time or requires showing a reasonable level of technique more often than not he shits the bed. Another air swing yesterday when picked out in the box by Rooney - I know can happen to anyone but it's quite a regular occurrence. 

Yes he's done really well recently, yes he should and will probably get offered a new deal and of course I hope he continues to improve and do well. Still vast room for improvement as well though as it shouldn't just be a given that work rate comes at the expense of being a goal threat. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

I agree Chris fucking Kane does deserve another contract, can we probably do better? Course we can, but in these times where players from outwith will probably be sat alone in a hotel after training day after day it's probably better to stick with what you have tbh.

Someone needs to whisper "Chris Kanes better than you" in Stevie May and Callum Hendrys ears though, see if it provokes a reaction.

Edited by tree house tam
Stupid phone

At least the "rename the East Stand" shite will be packed in now TW is away to join Killie.

Got a nagging feeling he'll absolutely flop there, tbh, but hes clearly a great manager so I doubt it. 

At least the "rename the East Stand" shite will be packed in now TW is away to join Killie.
Got a nagging feeling he'll absolutely flop there, tbh, but hes clearly a great manager so I doubt it. 

Why would the ‘’rename the East Stand’’ shite be packed in? He’s the most successful manager in our history and I’m glad he has found himself a decent club who I have no feelings against.

On 31/01/2021 at 16:56, tree house tam said:

Well he did try and sign him, so he obviously likes the boy. I'd rather he went to Dundee than killie tbh. Not because you are in the same league, I just don't like Kilmarnock. 

Pleasing. 

3 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Why would the ‘’rename the East Stand’’ shite be packed in? He’s the most successful manager in our history and I’m glad he has found himself a decent club who I have no feelings against.

Things like that shouldn't happen until the person involved is retired/dead, IMO.