Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

28 minutes ago, Widge said:

Did they? For the most part I thought they sat back and were perfectly happy to play on the break in exactly the same manner as they did when playing away from home. I don't think the goals and result had anything to do with United's play to be honest, I think it was more a case of actually using controlled possession quickly and effectively for once. It showed, as we repeatedly won the ball high up the pitch and indeed scored as a result of it. We also missed several chances from doing likewise, Melamed and most notably Tanser. Both should arguably have scored and we also forced Seigrest into at least 2 good saves and the defenders made a few good blocks. 

For me, the biggest positive in last night was that we seemed to have an attacking game plan, which wasn't just hit and hope. It revolved around getting the ball wide, but also isolating the covering centreback giving Spoony or the strikers a chance to run at them, or commit them outside the box. It also helped that is one of the strikers got dragged wide, we at least had another on the penalty spot and usually someone to pick up the loose ball on the edge, so many times this season a ball is cleared and we've nobody to recycle and keep the attack going. We'll get more energy and drive from McCann rather than Davidson and I think if you include his ability to win the ball high up the pitch, we could in theory take advantage of defensive mistakes even more than last night.

It's all swings and roundabouts thought. Had Tanser been on the pitch longer than 10 mintues and was match fit, he might have hit the target with his chance. Had Melamed had more game time his snapshot might have found the corner or his run might have taken him past Reynolds. 

I think we forced them back more rather than them sitting back as Tanser and Melamed’s chances were us hitting them from deep, well deeper than most chances we create 

41 minutes ago, Bose said:

I think we forced them back more rather than them sitting back as Tanser and Melamed’s chances were us hitting them from deep, well deeper than most chances we create 

The transition from edge of our box to their box especially Tanser's chance was good though. Promising and something to be positive about *IF* I can be continued 🤞

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

I don't think there's anything ingenius or surprising about us looking good last night in attack, nor do I overly think the shape was a direct reason for it.

2 players attacking the 6 yard box + Wotherspoon seeing lots of the ball around the box = Good chances. Doesn't matter what shape you play, that's all we need IMO.

On my lunch break and watching the goal back. Surprised Rooney is getting such a pass for the first, matching the goalscorer stride for stride until he runs away from him as the cut back comes across to stand on the line. If he keeps going he likely blocks the shot.

After last weekend and us asking questions of Dundee United, please say we had covers on the pitch before the snow of last night and secondly someone has remembered to put the undersoil heating on.

You just know whats going to happen on Saturday.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

After last weekend and us asking questions of Dundee United, please say we had covers on the pitch before the snow of last night and secondly someone has remembered to put the undersoil heating on.

You just know whats going to happen on Saturday.

On that subject, was it not suggested by a groundsman before that for snow it's best to leave it on the grass until near kick off as long as you then have the man power to shovel it away etc? 

It effectively insolated it? 😕 I swear I heard that on the radio and was apparently coming from a groundsman 😂

On that subject, was it not suggested by a groundsman before that for snow it's best to leave it on the grass until near kick off as long as you then have the man power to shovel it away etc? 
It effectively insolated it? [emoji53] I swear I heard that on the radio and was apparently coming from a groundsman [emoji23]
Would certainly be the best solution if frost was forecast on pitches without USH.

After conceding from both attempts on target the other night, I found the save percentage (from shots in target) figures for teams. Saints are unsurprisingly languishing behind everyone else with just 56% of shots on target being saved.

The frustration is we don't give up many shots on target - ranked fifth and have played two games more than Livingston and Aberdeen who are just ahead of us - so if we had a goalkeeper performing to simply an average level, we'd have conceded around 21 goals this season, as opposed to 33 goals.

Given how tight a lot of our games are, that's potentially a lot of points! 

It really is a losing battle trying to stay/be positive about the goalkeeper. 

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

It effectively insolated it? 😕 I swear I heard that on the radio and was apparently coming from a groundsman 😂

With Covid restrictions who would they get in the move the snow from the pitch?

I guess the usual call to fans would not be possible?

Come and move the snow from the pitch but please be away from the stadium before 1.30 would get a lot of offers of help.

52 minutes ago, Radford said:

After conceding from both attempts on target the other night, I found the save percentage (from shots in target) figures for teams. Saints are unsurprisingly languishing behind everyone else with just 56% of shots on target being saved.

The frustration is we don't give up many shots on target - ranked fifth and have played two games more than Livingston and Aberdeen who are just ahead of us - so if we had a goalkeeper performing to simply an average level, we'd have conceded around 21 goals this season, as opposed to 33 goals.

Given how tight a lot of our games are, that's potentially a lot of points! 

It really is a losing battle trying to stay/be positive about the goalkeeper. 

Would Zander make the save Seigrist did against Melamed in the second half? I don't think he would.

Although there were multiple folk to blame before Clark for Shanklands goal you still have to question why he hasn't got to it imo.

Clark has regressed so far that even die hard Saints fans call him clownshoes,  that tells you all you need to know about his abilities. 

19 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

With Covid restrictions who would they get in the move the snow from the pitch?

I guess the usual call to fans would not be possible?

Come and move the snow from the pitch but please be away from the stadium before 1.30 would get a lot of offers of help.

Guess not. 

People would offer no doubt but can't see it being allowed. 

Clarks been shit, but against United one goal is an unmarked player 6 yards out. Against County the goal comes from an unmarked player 12 yards out. Aberdeen a penalty and a player with a free shot 12 yards out. Against St Mirren 2 free headers from 6 yards and an unmarked player 12 yards out.

Rangers a travesty of a performance from Clark, but again for the first you've got Roofe unmarked to tap in. Second Kamara allowed to run in the box unchallenged to be 1v1.

The rest of the team shouldn't escape criticism, they've been woeful defensively this season.

2 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

No doubt Zander has been at fault for a few however it also tends to be when we give up a chance it is a guilt edged one

While I don't want to just bash him as at times defensively we have just vanished, particularly when the ball drops at the edge of the box. 

From the top of my head....

He should have saved:

1. Rangers third goal
  2. United's first goal this week
  3. Livi's second goal away from home earlier in the season. 

Should have done much better with:

1. County's goal
  2. Rangers first goal.

There's been countless occasions where he's came flying out and flailed at crosses trying to punch them and made a bit of a mess as well, including punching one backwards away to St. Mirren. For a big tall guy, he's not very good with a high ball. 

Its more than a few and confidence does seem really low - I have faith that he's capable at playing at this level though. 

He did redeem himself in the County game in the second half by making a couple of good saves to even get a point. More often than not though he doesn't bail us out and it ends up in the net. 

Can't agree he should be saving Uniteds first, it's hit from 6 yards out, and is going away from him, how many times do keepers save those when its low? The only person at major fault for that goal is Rooney IMO.

Uniteds keeper saving from Melamed in the second half isn't similar at all. It's further out, straight at him, with less power.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can't agree he should be saving Uniteds first, it's hit from 6 yards out, and is going away from him, how many times do keepers save those when its low? The only person at major fault for that goal is Rooney IMO.

Uniteds keeper saving from Melamed in the second half isn't similar at all. It's further out, straight at him, with less power.

Disagree that it's solely Rooney's fault. Liam Craig watches the midfielder run straight past him and doesn't react until it's too late. It's the same issue as against Ross County, leaving players unmarked in and around the box.

9 minutes ago, Widge said:

Disagree that it's solely Rooney's fault. Liam Craig watches the midfielder run straight past him and doesn't react until it's too late. It's the same issue as against Ross County, leaving players unmarked in and around the box.

He does react tbf, he's just too slow for it to matter. He's also got two players who are in-between him and the boy who sets up the goal.

Rooney literally runs away from someone 6 yards out.