Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Screenshot_20201027-074953_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7696999795ef011bcce41511471a9629.jpg

219792215_tenor-2020-10-27T075348_840.gif.039c442a2a7e889977b34f3c2e2ed6d5.gif

Still not sure whether Davidson actually believes thats crosses are our best chance of a goal, or if he's just using the wrong word to explain his thought process, but I wish he'd stop making it seem like the first one.

Understand he might be saying differently behind closed doors, but our starting striker had one touch outside the centre circle in the second half at the weekend, and it was easy to forget he was even on the park as he was completely outnumbered, yet we still persisted in having 3 players wedged on the right flank despite United giving no space in behind them. That's an issue that isn't caused by poor crosses, nor one that would be sorted by putting better crosses in.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20201027-074953_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7696999795ef011bcce41511471a9629.jpg

219792215_tenor-2020-10-27T075348_840.gif.039c442a2a7e889977b34f3c2e2ed6d5.gif

Still not sure whether Davidson actually believes thats crosses are our best chance of a goal, or if he's just using the wrong word to explain his thought process, but I wish he'd stop making it seem like the first one.

Understand he might be saying differently behind closed doors, but our starting striker had one touch outside the centre circle in the second half at the weekend, and it was easy to forget he was even on the park as he was completely outnumbered, yet we still persisted in having 3 players wedged on the right flank despite United giving no space in behind them. That's an issue that isn't caused by poor crosses, nor one that would be sorted by putting better crosses in.

It did look like Utd expecting us to push out wide and were happy to let us do that. Defending narrow closed us out and limited to, mostly, speculative shots and Spoony doing a Matty Kennedy impersonation and running into crowds of defenders. 

It did seem to me that rather than supporting the overload on the right Kerr's runs would have been more effective through the middle and into the box, loving as he does a back post header. 

I've read it and see it a little differently. I think he's almost saying that the players need to chose the correct time and position of when to cross the ball rather than punting it in from deep, as happened too much on Saturday. He's probably telling the wing backs and wingers don't bother putting it in the box unless we've got numbers in or there's no other option. Rather look back the way and try and build and create something. Or at least that's what I hope he means!!

39 minutes ago, Widge said:

He's probably telling the wing backs and wingers don't bother putting it in the box unless we've got numbers in or there's no other option. 

Problem is though that we're not getting bodies in the box with the running full-back going wide, overloading the wings and Murray sitting deep. 

He's been saying he wants May in the 6 yard box which is great, but not if he's the only one there. 

47 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Problem is though that we're not getting bodies in the box with the running full-back going wide, overloading the wings and Murray sitting deep. 

He's been saying he wants May in the 6 yard box which is great, but not if he's the only one there. 

The obvious other problem I see is if you've got the likes of May, Bryson, McCann, Liam, Spoony or Conway in the box none of them are a threat in the box so the ball has got to come in from an angle it's hard to defend against rather than from deep. 

Hendry has shown to be a threat in the air even this season when the ball is right for him but he's so far missed more than 1 great chance so can't be relied upon either it seems. 

I'll get to the point though, teams should play to their strengths and crosses from open play from a delivery stand point nor from an aerial prowess stand point are our strengths. More bodies in the box won't make a difference I don't think. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

The obvious other problem I see is if you've got the likes of May, Bryson, McCann, Liam, Spoony or Conway in the box none of them are a threat in the box so the ball has got to come in from an angle it's hard to defend against rather than from deep. 

Hendry has shown to be a threat in the air even this season when the ball is right for him but he's so far missed more than 1 great chance so can't be relied upon either it seems. 

I'll get to the point though, teams should play to their strengths and crosses from open play from a delivery stand point nor from an aerial prowess stand point are our strengths. More bodies in the box won't make a difference I don't think. 

I'd say May is a threat in the box, just not particularly in the air. The others .. aren't in the box much as you say, it's not their strength. 

I absolutely agree with what you, don't  think flooding the box with the players you mentioned is the answer. Davidson and Ker are surely the biggest threats we we have from crosses so we should be finding a way to get them involved, not pulling them wide or telling them to sit deep. 

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

According to UEFA's latest Champions League technical report, 29.3% of goals in last season's competition were scored from crosses or cutbacks. Sounds like we need to sign Robert Lewandowski and Trent Alexander-Arnold.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/news/0262-10b3b2d87eb7-616ea3d0da42-1000--read-the-champions-league-technical-report/

1 hour ago, Fife Saint said:

Anyone else preemptively cringing about the absolutely incoming Steve Brown interview on current affairs?

If Perth somehow ends up grouped in with Dundee and ends up being moved into tier 3 despite us having one of the lowest infection rates on the mainland of Scotland it's definitely incoming. 

If not that, wage deferrals/reductions etc!

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

16 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

If Perth somehow ends up grouped in with Dundee and ends up being moved into tier 3 despite us having one of the lowest infection rates on the mainland of Scotland it's definitely incoming. 

If not that, wage deferrals/reductions etc!

Thankfully that did not happen, for now.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

Thankfully that did not happen, for now.

Yeah thankfully, I was fairly certain it was due to the cautious approach needing to be taken regarding Covid etc. 

Does mean were just that one wee step closer to being back at games. Although like you said, for now, if Ninewells ends up getting stretched for covid or the cases continue to rise in Dundee & Perth theres a chance we'll be heading up the tiers rather than down but we'll see!

---

Although at least our club wasnt naïve enough to guarantee discounts/certain amount of games on this years season ticket based on games not attended in person with it looking still not exactly close for fans for most clubs in the Premiership baring County. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Know this is annoying folk but need feedback to improve and not sure where is best. Chucked my old rating system in the sea, and now gone league wide, over multiple seasons. Started with centre forwards.

So far I've got 19/20, and 18/19, figures. Scores out of 10, and in comparison to every striker in the league over those 2 seasons, including OF.

1. Hendry 19/20 - 9

2. MacLean 17/18 - 6.9

3. May 19/20 - 6.6

4. Kane 17/18 - 4.4

5. Kane 18/19 - 1.4

6. Johnstone 17/18 - 0.9

7. Watt 18/19 - 0.5

8. Kane 19/20 - 0.1

May in 18/19 for Aberdeen was 2.5. So my system would've identified him as a better striker than what we had, and also the improvements in him last season. Watts lack of goal and high xG really fucks him over.

Added in 17/18. 

20/21 so far is...

May - 8.4

MOH - 1.8

Hendry - 0 (in this system, hes gone from the 12th best in the entire thing for last season, to the worst (131st) for this season).

Edited by RandomGuy.

8 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Don't have dibs on every Saints stat thing tbf 😅

Although I did have it copied to paste on here but completely forgot 😂

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I don't care what they say, a centre forward who can't finish or pass is exactly what we've been missing this season so far.  

1685915355_Elr8Xo-X0Acvhqf(1).thumb.jpeg.e1a63857ad306b6a37aa6f63757a8230.jpeg

Think this hopefully agrees with the article?

Wish could get figures for the likes of Sandaza to compare passing figures.

Don't have dibs on every Saints stat thing tbf 😅

Although I did have it copied to paste on here but completely forgot 😂

1685915355_Elr8Xo-X0Acvhqf(1).thumb.jpeg.e1a63857ad306b6a37aa6f63757a8230.jpeg

Think this hopefully agrees with the article?

Wish could get figures for the likes of Sandaza to compare passing figures.

All well and good but anyone know why he (apparently) wasn't at training yesterday?