Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

So you think a 1 year deal makes sense? 

It does for both parties as they both do not know how he will settle playing in a different country.

Sign him on a 2 or 3 year deal and he does not settle then you have problems and end up paying him off to get rid off.

5 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

So you think a 1 year deal makes sense? 

I think sometimes you have to accept players don't want to spend long at Saints. Sandaza only signed a one year deal, presumably refusing to sign any longer as he wanted to use Saints as a stepping stone to bigger things. I don't think anyone should claim that was a deal we shouldn't have done.

A season or two back Dave McMillan was one of our top few earners and on a three year deal, it didn't work out and we had to keep him on longer than intended because he knew he wouldn't be able to match the deal anywhere else so was happy for us to pay his big wage while he played for Falkirk in the third tier or our reserve team.  It limited our ability to bring in new players due to budget.

A one year deal is fine.

Its about the here and now. We need a goalscorer to drag us up the table and hopefully get the other strikers firing as well. This season is about staying up, anything more is probably a bonus. 

Sanel Jahic, Madis Vihmann, Plamen Krachunov... all signed with no previous experience in Scottish football and all played / contributed hardly anything. I think a one year deal is fine. If he impresses, let’s not leave it until Easter to start talking about extending. 

2020 has peaked IMO.

Now at the stage of having a new player photographed through a hotel window due to having to isolate 😂

https://ppapix.photoshelter.com/gallery/St-J-Sign-Guy-Melamed/G0000D3Itw6dhtCA/C0000.8lTrX7cIk8

2 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Presumably the Israeli national team don't need to quarantine for 14 days when they arrive in Scotland? 

Nope. Likewise when international players return to their teams. 

Exceptions for international football teams. Although they're probably not allowed to go wondering around the town centre etc?

Travelling on private flights probably helps as well. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Presumably the Israeli national team don't need to quarantine for 14 days when they arrive in Scotland? 

Just now, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Nope. Likewise when international players return to their teams. 

Exceptions for international football teams. Although they're probably not allowed to go wondering around the town centre etc?

They get exemptions as they're not meant to have any close contact with anyone apart from opposition players on the pitch, and are in and out of the country fairly sharp.

Just now, Costanza said:

Have to say I'm also totally confused by the rules on this. 

Would have been good to have him have a bit of a run out in the cup games but just pleased we've made a signing, and to be fair if it's meant moving on Duffy and returning a striker that was clearly never going to get a run in the team to bankroll it then that's good business I think. 

Goalkeepers

1. Zander Clark  -2022

12. Elliot Parish – 2021

Defenders

19. Shaun Rooney– 2022

15. Danny McNamara – 2021 – on loan from Millwall

6. Liam Gordon - 2021

5. Jason Kerr – 2022

4. Jamie McCart  - 2022

3. Scott Tanser  – 2021

24. Callum Booth – Jan 2021

Midfielders

10. David Wotherspoon - 2021

8. Murray Davidson - 2021

26. Liam Craig – Jan 2021

18. Ali McCann – 2023

13. Craig Bryson - 2021

7. Craig Conway - 2021

Forwards

9. Chris Kane – Jan 2021

11. Michael O'Halloran – 2021

14. Stevie May  – 2021 + 1

22. Callum Hendry - 2022 

17. Guy Melamed - 2021

Here's hoping we don't pick up too many injuries, particularly at centre back. Decent quality throughout the squad though.

9 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Here's hoping we don't pick up too many injuries, particularly at centre back. Decent quality throughout the squad though.

Agree. If Melamed can do a job for us that's a decent crew. 

Might come back to bite me in the arse but right now, not feeling too panicky about being bottom of the league. 

Ideally you'd have another CB and wide player, I think. 

We might get away with such a small squad but you're putting yourself at the mercy of luck with a small squad.