Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Providing the season isn't put on hold by wee Nicola, I take it we'll be playing in our pants tomorrow? Unless Rangers wear their away kit at home...

I seem to remember (correct me if I'm wrong) Saints wearing our away kit at McDiarmid Park against Dundee at some point? Must be over 10 years ago now, but it always sticks in my memory.

4 minutes ago, perthsaints99 said:

Providing the season isn't put on hold by wee Nicola, I take it we'll be playing in our pants tomorrow? Unless Rangers wear their away kit at home...

I seem to remember (correct me if I'm wrong) Saints wearing our away kit at McDiarmid Park against Dundee at some point? Must be over 10 years ago now, but it always sticks in my memory.

Dundes's kit was somehow misplaced and they indeed did end up wearing our away kit 

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

3 minutes ago, perthsaints99 said:

Looking forward to the heads gones on here when Sevco refuse to change and you have to wear their super staunch orange number

57 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Jason Holt away to Livingston,he’d have been a decent squad player imo

Yeah I wouldnt have minded him back at all.

Completed more passes than either Muzz or Craig last season, probably because his passes were also, on average, shorter than both. Wouldve liked to see him and McCann in a midfield two, as i feel like both are more than capable of linking playing neat one-twos all over the park. Its not a strength of Davidsons.

Last season the top ranked in terms of on the ball stuff were...

Goal threat: Davidson

Creating high quality chances: Craig

Completing passes: Holt

Everything else, and second best at all the above: McCann

Neither Craig or Davidson completed more than 72% of their passes (McCann 76%/77%, Holt 80%/81%), and neither attempted as many passes as Holt either.

Edited by RandomGuy.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah I wouldnt have minded him back at all.

Completed more passes than either Muzz or Craig last season, probably because his passes were also, on average, shorter than both. Wouldve liked to see him and McCann in a midfield two, as i feel like both are more than capable of linking playing neat one-twos all over the park. Its not a strength of Davidsons.

Last season the top ranked in terms of on the ball stuff were...

Goal threat: Davidson

Creating high quality chances: Craig

Completing passes: Holt

Everything else, and second best at all the above: McCann

Neither Craig or Davidson completed more than 72% of their passes (McCann 76%/77%, Holt 80%/81%), and neither attempted as many passes as Holt either.

I take it the Busses are no all back yet Random, but the wife is back to her work ?😉

1 hour ago, Center half said:

I take it the Busses are no all back yet Random, but the wife is back to her work ?😉

Tbf comparisons between all four are easily found (now).

I still find it hard wrap my head around McCann, we've produced an absolute gem.
I'm the same. It is how complete he is that amazes me - brillant without the ball, keeps the ball when we have it and is a threat when he plays further forward.

I don't think anyone missed a trick with McCann, he just developed at an alarming rate in the early weeks of last season. 

McClean was definitely ahead of him at the start of the Betfred Cup group and I remember after the game at Forfar thinking he was definitely going to be headed back out on loan. 

I'm not even sure what the manager really expected when he threw him on at Celtic Park on the opening day but talk about taking a chance. He ended Ross Callachan's Saints career that day and probably within a fortnight had moved onto a different level than McClean. 

I'm not sure there are lessons to take from his development even, it's just a remarkable story. 

McCann just wants to learn. I suspect he’s like a sponge in training. Tactically can almost guarantee he picked up his new role quicker than anyone else. Helps he’s very very good at football, but tactically being turned on is a massive positive in improving and making the top.

4 minutes ago, Widge said:

McCann just wants to learn. I suspect he’s like a sponge in training. Tactically can almost guarantee he picked up his new role quicker than anyone else. Helps he’s very very good at football, but tactically being turned on is a massive positive in improving and making the top.

What I thought was fantastic last year was is absolute refusal to be bullied by established senior players. He's got a real physicality and he knows exactly when to use it, his fouls and cards are pretty purposeful and never hot-headed. Real confidence without (from what I've seen anyway) arrogance. 

Just hope that the season isn't so disrupted it puts his development back. 

McCann biggest issue this season might be getting man marked. I didnt pay great attention last season to notice how often it was happening, but it was noticeable against United that their plan was to keep him off the ball. Craig didn't seem to get the same close attention.

Was that not way back in the mid 90's. I remember Gerry Britton running about in our away top.

Sure Dundee's away top was a greeny/blue and white effort that clashed with our bluey/bluey/bluey and white home top. The first game that season we wore our away strip and so did they.

More recently I've noticed that Dundee and indeed Ross County, have been able to wear their home shirt against us at McDiarmid. The rules must have changed.