Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I think we're shy of a genuine, effective, lone striker, and another wide pacey option, if we're playing this 3 up front thing.
MacLean would've been perfect four years ago.
My worry is neither Conway or Olaofe are useful, and we end up with those two, and MacLean, taking up squad places.
So that's pretty much all our forwards not up to it according to you now. Your meltdowns last season were great but this is a whole new level [emoji28]

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

I don’t quite understand that post. He is ‘going to take a place in an already small squad’? That wording makes it sound like MacLean’s inclusion would make the squad even smaller. Surely the fact we have a small squad is exactly why we need extra numbers?

I think we'll be using a smaller squad, and i worry Brown will count MacLean as one of them.

If a situation arises later on where a player becomes available and we want him, it might be refused because we have enough players.

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think we'll be using a smaller squad, and i worry Brown will count MacLean as one of them.

If a situation arises later on where a player becomes available and we want him, it might be refused because we have enough players.

Surely the majority of teams will be running with smaller sqauds this year. 

I was half expecting McLean to have a squad number when they were released last week.!

If Maclean thinks he can step in on occasion to cover injuries I’ve no issue with him being a named player. Not like he’ll be playing every minute of every game and will likely just be a benchwarmer.

Have the Browns ever done this to the club before?

46 minutes ago, TractorBoy said:

Surely the majority of teams will be running with smaller sqauds this year. 

I was half expecting McLean to have a squad number when they were released last week.!

Circa a third less money coming from SPFL to clubs this season with no sponsor etc. 

Then period of reduced match day income for unknown period of time. 

Clubs had the choice to make, reduced squad or wage reduction/deferral which could reduce wages enough for the period to get another 1 or 2 in. Saints it seems have gone for the smaller squad which probably would have happened regardless. 

Part of the reason they might be looking at registering Macca is because in an ideal world for argument's sake CD wants another 3 players in, 1 being a striker but the striker is the loweest priority, he's probably not going to get 3 in current climate so as last option Macca is there on the bench. 

I get RG's point, he's 38, yes probably past his best and did think initially, registering him again seemed quite short term thinking but look at it this way, we didnt fill the sub compliment at the weekend, if Muzz & Kane are still unavailable. MOH suspended then if 1 or 2 picked up a knock at the weekend or this week in training how many are we going to have on the bench then? Surely budget wise he'll be treated like a free player. 

Side question - Why didn't we use up the final sub place with one of the few younger lads still around?

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

24 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Side question - Why didn't we use up the final sub place with one of the few younger lads still around?

Probably not training with the main squad as they’d need all the covid testing.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

For what it's worth ! This  has been the case for many clubs over the years that you register coaches/managers as players , The only reason this has become a debate is the poster of the news decided to put it on here as a new signing ! I'm sure Jim Weir, Calum  when he was Assistant first time and many before them were registered as players and usually played in Reserve games if needed ! Did Danny Lennon no have himself on the Bench  last season or the season before at age about 50? So chill FFs RG .    

Registering MacLean as a player makes perfect sense. There are no cons to having him as a coach on the sidelines who can be called upon if absolutely necessary. Anyone who thinks he'll play a bigger part than a 'last resort' are kidding themselves on. He will spend 90%+ of his time in the dugout. 

Everybody chill out.

Edited by perthsaints99

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

When is the son of the ex-player signing? 

Not heard any thing lately ! However i would think two things have happened since then 1) the other team sold a player on so are now not so desperate for cash, he is under contract to another team so a fee was involved. 2) we have since  brought Conway in that area so i would think unlikely just now!

16 minutes ago, Center half said:

For what it's worth ! This  has been the case for many clubs over the years that you register coaches/managers as players, I'm sure Jim Weir, Calum  when he was Assistant first time and many before them were registered as players 

Had zero idea it was common practice tbh.

Cheers far clarifying that, makes it a lot less likely it'll impact future signings, which was a worry for me.

13 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Paul Mathers to be registered as goalkeeper cover before end of the week.

You say that as a joke, but we had to throw in our 49 year old Bobby Geddes after Rab Douglas, Tony Bullock, Derek Soutar and whoever our main youth keeper at the time was got injured back in 2010. Better safe than sorry! Played a blinder as well.

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You say that as a joke, but we had to throw in our 49 year old Bobby Geddes after Rab Douglas, Tony Bullock, Derek Soutar and whoever our main youth keeper at the time was got injured back in 2010. Better safe than sorry! Played a blinder as well.

Always though he was a great keeper.

I remember that. My Dundee supporting pal said he nearly walked out before kickoff when he realised who was in goals for them.