Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

11 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

It's after a relatively good performance like against Ross County without fail he doesn't follow it up with a string of good performances. In fact the opposite generally imo. 1 good performance followed by 6-7 nothing performances. Never kicks on, never able to turn a goal or good performance into a bit if extra confidence.

This is a fair criticism.  He rarely builds on his good performances, which is why he's never kicked on and established himself as a starter.

Cant complain, did it not come out our home attendance against Rangers this season was 35% lower than the average? The only home crowd below 2000. 

Folk just dont like attending games against them, not helped by them intimidating kids outside the ground for years before they died.

I wont be there when theyve got the 3 stands, not an atmosphere I can be arsed being in, but understand why the club is going this route. An extra 3k fans, potentially four times a season, is a lot of money to club at our level.

Edited by RandomGuy.

11 minutes ago, Dele said:

Yikes. Turning your home games against the Old Firm into away games. 

200.gif

Its embarrassing but what can we do? Home fans dont turn up and they club cant maintain this level if they dont.

Same folk you never see at games on Twitter absolutely slating it and saying theyll never be back, not understanding they're the problem here rather than the club.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its embarrassing but what can we do? 

It depends on what you want as a club. This action won't help you build a bigger fanbase so you're effectively selling your soul for a few extra quid. 

It is a tricky one. I feel sorry for those fans who have season tickets and go every week. Their experience, an experience of their own club, is being tarnished and that isn't fair.

On the other hand it does guarantee an additional six figure (?) sum each season and more if St.Johnstone can get within the top six. 

I think Steve Brown, or maybe Stan Harris, laid out the financial incentive in this at the open meeting a few months? 

I can't remember the figures but, off the back of a fag packet, it will be in excess of £150,000 surely? That turns a small loss into breaking even, or a small profit. 

Agree that the safety stuff sounds a bit of an excuse and they maybe could have consulted with season ticket holders first (even just for show) but you can tell they've found this a hard decision. 

For those worried about an unfair advantage, it didn't give them that in the late nineties when they had two sides and, incredible as it now seems, a mixed family stand. The packed Main Stand helped Saints on those occasions arguably.

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

We obviously can complain, why should the 1500 that go have to put up with being literally surrounded by mutants, and have to move away from the stand they sit in every week for the privilege? If we want to go down the ‘football is a business,’ route, then this is a complete boot in the balls for regular customers. 

Can see what you're saying but I don't think the club has much option. Barely over 1500 home fans turn up for these games now, a third of season ticket holders don't go, they've tried numerous incentives to get more people to come along but nothing has worked. 

I agree that they should've been up front about it and maybe should've had a consultation with fans before announcing it but I think it was always going to happen. I've sat in my seat at McDiarmid against Celtic and Rangers over the last few years and it's noticeably quieter even where I sit, which isn't particularly busy at any time.

Its annoying but if we can sell out the capacity of the East Stand 3 times a season to Rangers and Celtic fans paying through the nose then I'm reluctantly for it.

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

We obviously can complain, why should the 1500 that go have to put up with being literally surrounded by mutants, and have to move away from the stand they sit in every week for the privilege? If we want to go down the ‘football is a business,’ route, then this is a complete boot in the balls for regular customers. 

I don't want it either, but our home crowds are pathetic and we cant continue losing money every season. 

We other cut back the budget, or increase the crowds. The Saints support have been given from 2012, the last time we gave them 3 stands, to prove themselves capable of taking up that slack and have failed miserably.

Direct your anger at the folk who dont go to games week in/week out, rather than the club who are simply trying to keep us competitive. 

2 minutes ago, Dele said:

It depends on what you want as a club. This action won't help you build a bigger fanbase so you're effectively selling your soul for a few extra quid. 

We've had the best decade in this clubs history. Statistically the 4th best team in the Country for a decade, European games, Cup runs including a trophy, we've beaten both Old Firm sides, home and away, multiple times. They tried to increase crowds by offering a family of 3 into games for £16, for over half a decade.

The fanbase didnt grow. 

How long do they continue losing money until they have to give up on it and go the way that guarantees them increased crowds?

Its shite, but I cant put any blame on the club for this, they tried to get more folk in, and gave it plenty of time to grow, but the stay away fans stayed away.

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

I wonder if there is any scope to put the TV cameras in the East Stand (as happened for Ross County game) so they are facing the home support? 

Does that even matter to folk? 

Then we just hear more of the bigoted pish they spout.

If the SFA get their finger out and start docking points I'm all for it.

9 minutes ago, Radford said:

For those worried about an unfair advantage, it didn't give them that in the late nineties when they had two sides and, incredible as it now seems, a mixed family stand. The packed Main Stand helped Saints on those occasions arguably.

We beat them in 2012 with it too.

We've just moved in the opposite direction of limiting them to a single stand after years of being outnumbered in our own stadium, and while it probably costs the club money in the short-term, it has also very clearly boosted the home attendance. Apparently while Scott Boyd was playing with us he was doing a business degree on the side and put together a dissertation on the reasons why home attendances against the Old Firm were lower than for other matches, and a big part of it was the atmosphere.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We've had the best decade in this clubs history. Statistically the 4th best team in the Country for a decade, European games, Cup runs including a trophy, we've beaten both Old Firm sides, home and away, multiple times. They tried to increase crowds by offering a family of 3 into games for £16, for over half a decade.

The fanbase didnt grow. 

How long do they continue losing money until they have to give up on it and go the way that guarantees them increased crowds?

Its shite, but I cant put any blame on the club for this, they tried to get more folk in, and gave it plenty of time to grow, but the stay away fans stayed away.

I think this is the essence of it. It's not ideal but it's necessary. We have the capacity to fleece more away supporters (which is effectively what happens to Celtic and Rangers fans at £30 a ticket) so the club are taking that opportunity.

Got to fear what will happen if (when) we do get relegated though. I think the attendances may actually be down on the last decade - particularly this season - and that's during a spell of unprecendented success.