Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What would you predict for the coming decade? I've oft made predictions that St Johnstone will resort to being a Championship team, indeed I've probably done it since the First Division days, but have continuously been proven wrong. How long do you think Tommy's got left at St J? Credit to you guys for a cracking decade!

20 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What would you predict for the coming decade? I've oft made predictions that St Johnstone will resort to being a Championship team, indeed I've probably done it since the First Division days, but have continuously been proven wrong. How long do you think Tommy's got left at St J? Credit to you guys for a cracking decade!

Who knows, this season could well decide our fate. Worth mentioning since the move to McDiarmid 30 years ago we've spent over half of it in the top flight, technically speaking its "where we belong" if you believe such shite phrases. Only the stage in the middle, brought about partly due to teams around us massively overspending while we refused to, prevents it being an overwhelming majority of time in the top flight. At what point do folk start seeing us as a perennial top flight side like Motherwell/Kilmarnock?

No idea how long TW will stay, feel like itll just be a case of him losing his desire for it and deciding it's best for him and family for him to give it up.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Biggest complaint seems to be that he doesn’t do work for the club for free in his ‘ample’ spare time.  Why should he? There’s a guy at the club literally being paid to do exactly that - why should someone give up their not very ample free time to do it for free? 

An absolutely bizarre wee rant. Without the unofficial twitter we'd have heard literally nothing about Saints over the past decade.

Can only assume the grown man calling himself "dogger" is absolutely jaked today and found himself signed onto Twitter.

10 minutes ago, Radford said:

Are we pals again? @RandomGuy.

I can't promise I won't keep using the relegation line though... 

Nut.

Spoiler

*re-reads posts and sees Radford wants to be pals with me*

the-rock-smiling.gif.b0161e72cf6c1dd91ca29e4e52b60cd0.gif

I've said it many times before, a fair percentage of Saints fans are fucking zoomers. The dogger Saints are no exception. Sadford has been going through a wee disillusioned spell lately, no being as much of a fandan happy Clapper as before but to say he doesn't have Saints at heart is a bit wide of the mark,  we all have Saints at heart, that's why we suffer seasons of shite and still go back. 

All sounds so familiar, one of our best players heading into last 6 months of a contract and talking about wanting to sign on again. Coupled with the Aberdeen gossip just makes me think it is a bargaining tool, pretending to Aberdeen (or others) he might stay here to get a better offer from them and theres no chance he's staying.

Shame that Saints recent record in contracts/recruitment has conditioned me to be so pessimistic. Hopefully  prove me wrong!

1 minute ago, Reignman said:

All sounds so familiar, one of our best players heading into last 6 months of a contract and talking about wanting to sign on again. Coupled with the Aberdeen gossip just makes me think it is a bargaining tool, pretending to Aberdeen (or others) he might stay here to get a better offer from them and theres no chance he's staying.

Shame that Saints recent record in contracts/recruitment has conditioned me to be so pessimistic. Hopefully  prove me wrong!

Have you not been very ITK in the past?

Bit depressing, but not really surprising, if Kennedy is using us and TW as a bargaining chip tbh, but it seems to be the way with players/agents these days.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have you not been very ITK in the past?

Afraid not, must be getting me mixed up with other posters again! If anything I'm decidedly OTK, if thats a thing.

9 hours ago, Reignman said:

Afraid not, must be getting me mixed up with other posters again! If anything I'm decidedly OTK, if thats a thing.

I've absolutely no idea what it is about you that I keep getting confused about 😂 

:lol:

Never change RandomGuy.

I'm back at work today sadly so I've decided to go off on one to try and guide me to lunch time unabashed.

Transfer window is finally open and I think what we need is pretty clear - an experienced defender and a big (preferably experienced) striker who can add 5+ goals to the team to the end of the season.  Who those players are I'm not sure but the manager seems to have people in mind to come in. (I'd also like to see us sign a right back who is better than Anthony Ralston, but I can't see that happening unfortunately.)

The club have repeatedly said that players will have to go out in order for others to come in, so the unfortunate by-product of that is some players will have to leave to make that a reality. I'd imagine the following are contenders for loans out/loan returns/the dreaded mutual termination;

Max Johnstone

Anthony Ralston

Madis Vihmann

Wallace Duffy

Ross Callachan

Jason Holt

Danny Swanson

Liam Craig

Chris Kane

Steven Anderson and David McMillan could also be released from their contracts in order to sign for their respective loan clubs permanently. I don't see that happening but it's possible.

I think Ralston and Holt can be instantly removed from the above. Both have played quite a bit, are currently in the team and are clearly liked by the management. The only way either leaves is if we get offered better loan players from Celtic and Rangers and we pack them back to make it happen.

Chris Kane almost certainly wont be released but he is out of contract in the summer and it may depend on what the manager plans to do with him then. If we have the chance of a striker that we want long term, Kane's squad place is the most at risk one  by virtue of him being out of contract in the summer and the fact that Hendry is scoring goals when he gets his chance. I can't even remember any proper sitters that Kane has missed in the league this season, going with his return of 0 goals. It would be harsh for him to leave this way but we've seen before that the manager can be brutal in these situations. Just ask Paul Paton and Kyle McClean.

Wallace Duffy and Max Johnstone would be loans out. Duffy has had a tough first half of the season and could really use a run of proper first team football at a lower level. If the new experienced defender can cover at right back then I'd imagine that could open the door for Duffy to go out. Johnstone looks like a spare to be honest - I know he's there to cover for injuries to Clark/Parish but surely Wills can do that job short term? it would probably be to his benefit to get out and play some football at the stage he's at in his career.

Liam Craig staying or going will probably depend on how motivated he is to play regularly. He's filled in at times this season and been fine but there's no doubt he's past the stage of being a regular for us now. Might be too early for this but I wouldn't be shocked to see him moved into a coaching role and his registration maintained for him to play in an emergency. I would hate to see him leave the club completely because he's clearly a good egg around the place but we let reluctantly let Steven Anderson go last January when he asked to play regularly, maybe Craig is thinking similarly.

Danny Swanson's third spell with Saints has been a total let down beyond one or two magical moments/performances but I just can't shake the feeling that he's not really been given a proper chance this time round. Very few starts since return to us at the end of the 2018/19 summer window, but he's disappeared completely from the match day squad now and he'll be one of our higher earners. Sad it's gone the way it has but he could probably do with moving on for the sake of his career. He will no doubt come back and make us regret it if he does leave as he's just that kind of player. One of the top contenders.

Madis Vihmann will surely return to Estonia now that we'e got the chance to move him on. He can also make the argument that he's not been given a proper chance and his pedigree suggests that he's better than he's shown at Saints but the manager clearly doesn't fancy him. Wright said in a Saints tv interview that this move was a risk that hadn't worked out, which probably suggests the writing is on the wall for him.

Ross Callachan is surely top of the list for chasing. One league appearance all season - the disaster at parkhead - and I think he's appeared in one match day squad since, when we had an injury crisis in midfield. He's behind Davidson, McCann, Holt, Craig, Wotherspoon and probably RandomGuy for a starting place. If he survives the great cull of January 2020 I'll be shocked.

In respect of new signings, we're going to sign Steven Maclean, aren't we? We need a striker and to spark Stevie May. Hearts will most likely want players off their books and Maclean is an ageing player with 6 months left on his deal. I love Steven Maclean but I hope we cast the net a bit wider than just another ex-player.

Would anyone be totally shocked to see Joe Shaughnessy suddenly reappearing too? Covers the positions that we need and worked well beside Kerr before. Can also cover that tricky right back spot. Again I hope we cast the net wider than that but supposing the relationship between the club and player hasn't completely broken down, we could do a lot worse.

Love posts like that 😘

Cant see Shaughnessy returning at all, and dont want MacLean back to tarnish what he had. 

Biggest issue will be getting people out. Vihmanns club might decide they're quite happy with us paying his wages, Callachan might struggle to find a club who want to loan him, Swanson might not find a club who wants him so he wont accept a contract termination. Who do we get rid of if that happens?