Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

11 minutes ago, Radford said:

I've said before that Billy Dodds could come in a couple of days a week then still do his media work. He's meant to be a very decent forwards coach. 

Not sure what to make of the situation with Anderson. I hope it's right that he's been asked to take a role coaching the young players as the first team were at Stirling today and it's pretty appalling if a club legend is being forced to report to Perth to train with kids. 

Still a bit disappointed about Kyle McClean going, although certainly the manager makes it sound like it was at least mutual. Still not sure why it couldn't have been a loan, even back to the Irish Premiership, where he's supposedly heading. I do accept that McCann, a year younger, is playing a bit deeper than you'd maybe expect him to and that's in McClean's area of the pitch. 

He was in a jacket and the rest were in strips. I took from that he wasn't training with them. To be fair I wasn't there very long. 

I think that if it's understood he won't be playing it's a good use of resource I reckon and if it helps him with post-football options I think it's quite a good idea.

Agree that it's a shame for McClean but understandable if it was his his choice. 

I honestly don't think bringing in a forwards type coach would solve many of Kane's goal scoring problems. 

Of course only my opinion but Kane's issues don't only lie in the fact when we a cross comes into the box that he's not getting on the end of it. (Although you do hear about all the top strikers talking about getting in between the posts etc when the balls coming into the box Kane is NEVER there). 

When a chance comes his way even he doesn't look convinced he'll score. It's in hope rather than expectation even for him. Needs work with someone on his mental side of the game as well as the technical side of it. Lacks any real confidence in front of goal. 

When discussing Kyle McLean in the interview on SaintsTV, Tommy doesn't half labour the point that, despite him signing them on a contract for a set amount of time, he thinks certain players should forget about the money and just f**k off:

All credit to Kyle, shown a lot of maturity and a lot of common sense, he wants to play football and any professional footballer should want to play football, they shouldn't want to sit in the stand and just pick up their money.  So it was decided it was best for all parties, and really pleased to help Kyle move on .. and he can go away and play football, cos ultimately that's the main thing and that's what any professional player should be striving to do, is to play football and give yourself the best opportunity to play football.

26 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Bit easier for a young guy with no ties to just up and leave, guys with families and houses etc will find it a bit harder.

But aye, Tommy's right, f**k off McMillan et al.

@andrewh Ageism alert!

Is Drey Wrights preference central? Can't help but feel him running directly at CBs from deep would put the fucking fear right up them.

Clark

Ralston - Kerr - Gordon - Tanser

Davidson - Holt

O'Halloran - Wright - Kennedy

May

Reserves: Parish, Duffy, Anderson, Vihmann, Craig, McCann, Callachan, Wotherspoon, Swanson, Kane, Hendry

Could be worth giving a go for a while. If Wright has experience in that role, then his work rate, and Holts willingness to work, could transform whats been a very one paced one midfield so far this season. Allows MOH to stay on his best side, and hopefully Wright would be able to rotate with Kennedy to give right backs another worry when he starts cutting in. May should be fine to miss out on the majority of build up play.

Been watching clips of Holt at Rangers and Fleetwood, and honestly hes perfect for what I was hoping for. Seems comfortable on the ball in tight spaces, has the pace to burst past opposing midfielders and theres numerous clips of him doing wee one touch, no look, passes "round the corner" which sends wingers away. I'm not sure how well he protects the defence though, seems more than wiling to harry and press midfielders which might be enough.

Edited by RandomGuy.

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is Drey Wrights preference central? Can't help but feel him running directly at CBs from deep would put the fucking fear right up them.

Clark

Ralston - Kerr - Gordon - Tanser

Davidson - Holt

O'Halloran - Wright - Kennedy

May

Reserves: Parish, Duffy, Anderson, Vihmann, Craig, McCann, Callachan, Wotherspoon, Swanson, Kane, Hendry

Could be worth giving a go for a while. If Wright has experience in that role, then his work rate, and Holts willingness to work, could transform whats been a very one paced one midfield so far this season. Allows MOH to stay on his best side, and hopefully Wright would be able to rotate with Kennedy to give right backs another worry when he starts cutting in. May should be fine to miss out on the majority of build up play.

Been watching clips of Holt at Rangers and Fleetwood, and honestly hes perfect for what I was hoping for. Seems comfortable on the ball in tight spaces, has the pace to burst past opposing midfielders and theres numerous clips of him doing wee one touch, no look, passes "round the corner" which sends wingers away. I'm not sure how well he protects the defence though, seems more than wiling to harry and press midfielders which might be enough.

Interesting. 

We've got lots and lots of options for as long as the formation starts with a '4'. and that 4 picks itself. Still need to balance the team up with defensive depth. 

This is not a shitfesting team of OAPs that most folk would sterotype St Johnstone as. 

Now, how about putting McCann in next to Holt instead of Murray to learn his craft? Bring the age down to probably the youngest in the league.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Bit easier for a young guy with no ties to just up and leave, guys with families and houses etc will find it a bit harder.

But aye, Tommy's right, f**k off McMillan et al.

Feel sorry for him Tam. Gave up job, unsettled family life etc probably on a bunch of promises.  He scored 2 goals in about 8 starts last season, whereas Chris Kane scored 3 in probably 20 starts, yet still gets plenty opportunities.  Not grumbling at giving Kane plenty chances, just how it's been unevenly applied.

I really can't see how everyone's so definite about his ability, when we've not seen a lot of him. Think his confidence was probably completely eroded by the time he went to Accies on loan. He scored 2 in 2 last season then was dropped and hardly seen again.

Unless McMillans not giving a f**k, out pissing it up or fannying about in training, then I don't think Tommy's got any right to try to portray him as a villain for sticking with his contract rather than take a big wage cut to leave.  Different if he was on millions and could get slightly less millions somewhere else.  He's probably on a wage not much different from a lot of the posters on here.

I know everyone's going to come way with its a tough business etc etc, .. fair enough, it's just how I see it.

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Feel sorry for him Tam. Gave up job, unsettled family life etc probably on a bunch of promises.  He scored 2 goals in about 8 starts last season, whereas Chris Kane scored 3 in probably 20 starts, yet still gets plenty opportunities.  Not grumbling at giving Kane plenty chances, just how it's been unevenly applied.

I really can't see how everyone's so definite about his ability, when we've not seen a lot of him. Think his confidence was probably completely eroded by the time he went to Accies on loan. He scored 2 in 2 last season then was dropped and hardly seen again.

Unless McMillans not giving a f**k, out pissing it up or fannying about in training, then I don't think Tommy's got any right to try to portray him as a villain for sticking with his contract rather than take a big wage cut to leave.  Different if he was on millions and could get slightly less millions somewhere else.  He's probably on a wage not much different from a lot of the posters on here.

I know everyone's going to come way with its a tough business etc etc, .. fair enough, it's just how I see it.

I know what you're saying Paulo, it must be heartbreaking to move your life to another country on a dream then realise you're at a level below Chris fucking Kane, absolutely heartbreaking. 

I didn't mind David in the early days, when he scored away at Hamilton, playing ok in the process, I thought he'd do well. He has looked lost lately though, he's also well within his rights to see out the contract. Tommy obviously sees no future for him at Saints so he either proves him wrong or fucks off, the balls in his court.

57 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I know what you're saying Paulo, it must be heartbreaking to move your life to another country on a dream then realise you're at a level below Chris fucking Kane, absolutely heartbreaking

I didn't mind David in the early days, when he scored away at Hamilton, playing ok in the process, I thought he'd do well. He has looked lost lately though, he's also well within his rights to see out the contract. Tommy obviously sees no future for him at Saints so he either proves him wrong or fucks off, the balls in his court.

😀

Do you think he has/ still has an opportunity to prove him wrong though?  Is he still training with the first team squad?  Tommy sounds a bit like once he's made his mind up on you that's it, tatties. Brad Mackay, Stefan Scougall etc.  

In his defence though, there's not many players have been released who've gone onto better things, can't think of many that the manager/ coaching staff were wrong about so far.

8 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Interesting. 

We've got lots and lots of options for as long as the formation starts with a '4'. and that 4 picks itself. Still need to balance the team up with defensive depth. 

This is not a shitfesting team of OAPs that most folk would sterotype St Johnstone as. 

Now, how about putting McCann in next to Holt instead of Murray to learn his craft? Bring the age down to probably the youngest in the league.

That is an option, I would be strange having a team without either Davidson Craig and Wotherspoon in it. If it was me I would develop McCann slower.  By that I mean I would give 30 -20 mins as a sub and increase that as develops. And if he matures as we expect, then start him alongside Holt. My concern in a 4:2:3:1 is McCann's defensive qualities. He would need to play left side where he has Tanser behind him. I would be a bit anxious with Ralston , McCann and Gordon defending the right side of the park.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

😀

Do you think he has/ still has an opportunity to prove him wrong though?  Is he still training with the first team squad?  Tommy sounds a bit like once he's made his mind up on you that's it, tatties. Brad Mackay, Stefan Scougall etc. 

I dunno, we all thought Millar was being frozen out then a few injuries later and he was back in. As long as Saints pay his wages he has a chance imo. Tommy is pretty fair tbh.

34 minutes ago, Templar said:

That is an option, I would be strange having a team without either Davidson Craig and Wotherspoon in it. If it was me I would develop McCann slower.  By that I mean I would give 30 -20 mins as a sub and increase that as develops. And if he matures as we expect, then start him alongside Holt. My concern in a 4:2:3:1 is McCann's defensive qualities. He would need to play left side where he has Tanser behind him. I would be a bit anxious with Ralston , McCann and Gordon defending the right side of the park.

Gordon's the left sided CB.

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Gordon's the left sided CB.

Sorry my error. I would be a bit anxious with Ralston , McCann and Kerr defending the right side of the park.

I thought Kerr and Gordon switched about during the game depending on opposition runs and man marking. But I may be wrong. I watch the games on Saints TV and you do not see the whole field of play. I will watch more carefully in future.

3 minutes ago, Templar said:

Sorry my error. I would be a bit anxious with Ralston , McCann and Kerr defending the right side of the park.

I thought Kerr and Gordon switched about during the game depending on opposition runs and man marking. But I may be wrong. I watch the games on Saints TV and you do not see the whole field of play. I will watch more carefully in future.

What you really mean is Liam has to cover when Kerr fucks up or is wandering. 

19 minutes ago, Templar said:

With Drey Wright able to track back, that's not so bad TBH (depending on what we've got with Ralston). 

Edit - just realised you had Wright in the middle. I'd have him on the right, Matty in the middle and MOH on the left. Others might have MOH middle but I personally think he's better wide. 

Counter arguments that he was brought in to play in the middle and that Kennedy is better as a winger are perfectly valid. It will be fun finding out what works best. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese