Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’ve just watched Sunday’s Sportscene, and Tommy “Chuckles” Wright spends the first 40 seconds of his interview moaning about referee decisions and then says “I could moan about decisions.....”. 

Cannot see any reason why Aberdeen fans being all over Saints threads to mock TW and May will come back and bite.

Not a single reason.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Cannot see any reason why Aberdeen fans being all over Saints threads to mock TW and May will come back and bite.

Not a single reason.

Not mocking either of these people. That is actually what Tommy Wright said. He has the nickname “Chuckles” in the McDiarmid dressing room, so again just talking facts. Not sure too many have been mocking Stevie May either.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Not mocking either of these people. That is actually what Tommy Wright said. He has the nickname “Chuckles” in the McDiarmid dressing room, so again just talking facts. Not sure too many have been mocking Stevie May either.

Eh,Ok,thanks for that.....Mind and close the door on your way out 

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Scotland : current world ranking 48. Nearest sides above Hungary, Australia, Russia : below Egypt, Norway, Ghana

Estonia : current world ranking 100. Nearest sides above Jordan, Armenia, Vietnam : below Trinidad and Tobago, Palestine, India

So yeah, definitely comparable standard. 

Where do you get this stuff from?

Edit : of course we need another CB but that's got feck all to do with who's playing international football, and at what level. It's just because we need another CB. 

I went with my brain not rankings, I believe over 2 legs Scotland v Estonia the result would be pretty close. Last met 2013 Scotland 1v0 Estonia (Mulgrew 83')

starting lineup: McGregor, Hutton, Berra, Webster, Adam, Mulgrew, Brown, Burke, Maloney, Naismith and Fletcher.

FIFA Rankings 2013 Scotland 42 and Estonia 98 (rankings made a big difference that night) not much difference than today.

UEFA rankings Scotland 20th, Northern Ireland ranked at 52nd (4th lowest)  below Gibraltar and San Mario. Wales 48th (8th bottom).  I believe Scotland playing against Wales and Northern Ireland would be closer than than the rankings suggest. These is a couple of reason why I do not look at rankings. 

"This Stuff" is only my opinion however I do not believe your rankings  "stuff" mean much when 2 teams enter the field of play. 

32 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

So is everyone happy with the players brought in, with another still to come?

Time will tell if it works but I'm ok with the players brought in, looking forward to our new look side gelling and in 3 or 4 weeks pumping everyone in sight.

Happier now we've brought in Holt. We've at least tried to address the lack of a ball player in the middle of the park and also brought in a legend upfront who is a marked improvement on what we have. Parish is fine as a back up goalie and Johnstone let Sinclair go out on loan. Ralston is getting good write ups from Dundee United fans  but I'm not sure a 20 year is really what we needed when all the other defenders we have are so young. Vihmann is a good signing in theory and will judge him when he's had a chance to settle in properly. Duffy is hopefully better than Comrie. Hoping for a left back with a bit of experience now.

We can't be far off having the youngest squad in the league after the last few windows. A huge transformation since Maclean, Mannus and Millar left us.

Edited by Kyle

48 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

So is everyone happy with the players brought in, with another still to come?

Time will tell if it works but I'm ok with the players brought in, looking forward to our new look side gelling and in 3 or 4 weeks pumping everyone in sight.

Assuming we get a cover LB, ideally one that can cover CB also, then I am happy with the current squad, yes. 

I believe it should have the capability of mounting a top 6 campaign but we're already chasing the field so I would have preferred it at least a month earlier. 

26 minutes ago, Templar said:

I went with my brain not rankings, I believe over 2 legs Scotland v Estonia the result would be pretty close. Last met 2013 Scotland 1v0 Estonia (Mulgrew 83')

starting lineup: McGregor, Hutton, Berra, Webster, Adam, Mulgrew, Brown, Burke, Maloney, Naismith and Fletcher.

FIFA Rankings 2013 Scotland 42 and Estonia 98 (rankings made a big difference that night) not much difference than today.

UEFA rankings Scotland 20th, Northern Ireland ranked at 52nd (4th lowest)  below Gibraltar and San Mario. Wales 48th (8th bottom).  I believe Scotland playing against Wales and Northern Ireland would be closer than than the rankings suggest. These is a couple of reason why I do not look at rankings. 

"This Stuff" is only my opinion however I do not believe your rankings  "stuff" mean much when 2 teams enter the field of play. 

Oh for goodness sake. Of course on any given day any team can beat another, and to be clear I don't believe that is in any way is a guide on the standard of any given player (Mo Salah playing for Egypt, Mykytarian playing for Armenia etc). 

The point I was disputing was the view that 'he's an international therefore he must be good' is a bit of a nonsense, and it's a plain fact that  it's harder to get into a higher ranked team than lower one, because over a reasonable period of time, a rank 48 team will in general be of a higher standard than rank 100 team. Obviously. 

Oh and they're not 'my' rankings for you to 'believe' or not. They are FIFA's rankings based on actual results. 

33 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

The point I was disputing was the view that 'he's an international therefore he must be good' is a bit of a nonsens

That was the point I was making when  stated  in reply to a post.

"By your theory, he should be playing before Kerr and Gordon as he is a top Estonian centre back Internationalist. Kerr and Gordon are nowhere near being a top Scottish centre back internationalists. I do not see much difference in the sides "

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

On paper a great Summer, just a shame how the club have gone about it.

The club have been going about things properly for weeks,it’s not their fault if Vine fecked up the first move,Foster left us light at short notice,and Holt has been on the radar a while.Im slightly disappointed that Naismith didn’t materialise,but Ralston will be ok imo.

7 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

The club have been going about things properly for weeks,it’s not their fault if Vine fecked up the first move,Foster left us light at short notice,and Holt has been on the radar a while.Im slightly disappointed that Naismith didn’t materialise,but Ralston will be ok imo.

Why did the second May deal break down?

I think the lack of 'ha ha he's shite' comments about our main signings speaks volumns. In fact most I've seen from fans of other teams have actually been positive about the players. I doubt they're into reverse psychology so it augurs well.  Just down to Tommy now to get the team working properly again. 👍

1 minute ago, 7-2 said:

Just down to Tommy now to get the team working properly again. 👍

If he can, top six should be the aim, no question.

We've been playing alright for the most part since the turnaround v Livingston, IMO. Dominated Hibs, dominated v Killie but caught out on the counter and couldnt break them down.

Ralston, Wotherspoon, Wright, Holt and May all to come into the team to help that situation. That's surely going to see us start getting results.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not a single reason.

By the way, everyone, but everyone, knows that Stevie May is going to score at least one goal at Pittodrie on 14th September. We have just got to hope that Aberdeen score more goals than he does.

Sounds like McClean was a tough one - he's gone because he wants to play regular football and was happy to leave to try and find first team football - he's now speaking to an Irish  league club.  No mention of McMillan or Anderson so presumably they'll be pulled back into the first team fold until January.

Edited by Kyle

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not a single reason.

I can't recall much mocking of Mssrs. May / Wright on this thread. Saints fans and the histrionic postings in relation to the signing of May  on the other hand warrant ridicule.

I do recall plenty hoping May does well in our thread tho.

👍

3 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

I can't recall much mocking of Mssrs. May / Wright on this thread. Saints fans and the histrionic postings in relation to the signing of May  on the other hand warrant ridicule.

I do recall plenty hoping May does well in our thread tho.

👍

Post gif of Foster being embarrassed by Hedges pls, and we can all get along 😁

Muirton Suite on Saturday had Saints and Killie fans all "clapping if you hate the Old Firm", I hope a "stand up, if you hate Foster" can bring the fans together at Pittodrie next weekend.