Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Templar said:

By your theory, he should be playing before Kerr and Gordon as he is a top Estonian centre back Internationalist.

No but equally I see little point in branding him a dud and not good enough after his first three games in a new environment with new players. 

You might well be right about him but at least give the guy a proper chance. If the manager starts playing Duffy or Anderson ahead of him, then we'll know there is maybe a problem. 

1 minute ago, Radford said:

No but equally I see little point in branding him a dud and not good enough after his first three games in a new environment with new players. 

You might well be right about him but at least give the guy a proper chance. If the manager starts playing Duffy or Anderson ahead of him, then we'll know there is maybe a problem. 

OK I'll back off, just my opinion on what I have seen so far (i'm not he only one). Time will tell,. I hope you are right, we do need a 3rd good central defender

United fans I've spoken to seem to be very positive about Ralston which is encouraging and I'm glad we've attempted to strengthen in the middle of the park with Holt. With the emergence of McCann gives us 4 different options, 5 if you include Callachan.

I worry about the back but hopefully they'll gel as the season progresses. Wright's usually managed to sort us on that side of things. The five games sandwiched between the rangers games next week and the start of November will let us know where we are.

I guess we're just waiting on the left back and we'll have our completed squad. I still have reservations, particularly around the the defence, but the manager can't complain too about not being backed. I think the biggest issue that has slowed recruitment is having too much deadwood on good contracts who we have been unable to shift and who will indeed still be here until January, unless we here more about all of that later.

Our strongest 11 isn't particularly easy to identify either. Our main striker works best with a partner up top but our midfield options probably suit playing in a 3. That maybe points to a 3-5-2, but most of our best players are wingers and right now I don't know if we have 3 centre back options that I'd trust to play together week in week out.

I'd be tempted to try

Clark

Ralston Kerr Gordon Tanser

Wright Davidson Holt MOH

Kennedy May

I don't think MOH is a particularly effective link up player whereas I quite liked the partnership Kennedy and Watt forged together upfront in that spell they played together. This also gives May a partner and squeezes most of our strongest players into positions they are at least familiar with.

Edit: worth noting the players who we have in reserve (ie not in the above team) in each position

Goalkeepers - Elliot Parish, Max Johnstone

Defence - Wallace Duffy, Steven Anderson, Madis Vihmann, new left back

Midfield - Liam Craig, Ross Callachan, Ali McCann

Wingers - David Wotherspoon, Danny Swanson

Strikers - David McMillan, Chris Kane, Callum Hendry

Not bad at all. I do worry about injuries in the defence though - the drop in quality is quite severe if Vihmann doesn't find form and the new left back isn't up to much.

Edited by Kyle

3 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

Crazy how a couple of days can turn a team from a potential relegation candidate to a top 6 side.

If I was a betting man i'd be lumping on saints for top 6 100%

Why stop at top six

image.png.b9ec4d65b4e4c956bfe6509abd19e634.png

Free agent left backs, although some might be fixed up by now:

• Tyler Garrett 
  • Tyrell Robinson
  • Stephen Hendrie
  • Callum Booth
  • Aaron Taylor-Sinclair
  • Daniel Lafferty 
  • Rory McKeown
  • Kenny van der Weg
  • Lenny Sowah
  • Stelios Dimitriou
  • Adam Chicksen
  • Maziar Kouhyar

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

• Tyler Garrett 
  • Tyrell Robinson
  • Stephen Hendrie
  • Callum Booth
  • Aaron Taylor-Sinclair
  • Daniel Lafferty 
  • Rory McKeown
  • Kenny van der Weg
  • Lenny Sowah
  • Stelios Dimitriou
  • Adam Chicksen
  • Maziar Kouhyar

Stephen Hendrie looks like the best option there. Perhaps lost his way down South but still only 24. Was tipped for big things when he left Accies.

9 minutes ago, Radford said:

• Tyler Garrett 
  • Tyrell Robinson
  • Stephen Hendrie
  • Callum Booth
  • Aaron Taylor-Sinclair
  • Daniel Lafferty 
  • Rory McKeown
  • Kenny van der Weg
  • Lenny Sowah
  • Stelios Dimitriou
  • Adam Chicksen
  • Maziar Kouhyar

Potential issue is a lot of them will want to be going straight into a starting line up, we cant offer that.

2 hours ago, Templar said:

By your theory, he should be playing before Kerr and Gordon as he is a top Estonian centre back Internationalist. Kerr and Gordon are nowhere near being a top Scottish centre back internationalists. I do not see much difference in the sides. 

Scotland : current world ranking 48. Nearest sides above Hungary, Australia, Russia : below Egypt, Norway, Ghana

Estonia : current world ranking 100. Nearest sides above Jordan, Armenia, Vietnam : below Trinidad and Tobago, Palestine, India

So yeah, definitely comparable standard. 

Where do you get this stuff from?

Edit : of course we need another CB but that's got feck all to do with who's playing international football, and at what level. It's just because we need another CB. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

I guess we're just waiting on the left back and we'll have our completed squad. I still have reservations, particularly around the the defence, but the manager can't complain too about not being backed. I think the biggest issue that has slowed recruitment is having too much deadwood on good contracts who we have been unable to shift and who will indeed still be here until January, unless we here more about all of that later.

Our strongest 11 isn't particularly easy to identify either. Our main striker works best with a partner up top but our midfield options probably suit playing in a 3. That maybe points to a 3-5-2, but most of our best players are wingers and right now I don't know if we have 3 centre back options that I'd trust to play together week in week out.

I'd be tempted to try

Clark

Ralston Kerr Gordon Tanser

Wright Davidson Holt MOH

Kennedy May

I don't think MOH is a particularly effective link up player whereas I quite liked the partnership Kennedy and Watt forged together upfront in that spell they played together. This also gives May a partner and squeezes most of our strongest players into positions they are at least familiar with.

Edit: worth noting the players who we have in reserve (ie not in the above team) in each position

Goalkeepers - Elliot Parish, Max Johnstone

Defence - Wallace Duffy, Steven Anderson, Madis Vihmann, new left back

Midfield - Liam Craig, Ross Callachan, Ali McCann

Wingers - David Wotherspoon, Danny Swanson

Strikers - David McMillan, Chris Kane, Callum Hendry

Not bad at all. I do worry about injuries in the defence though - the drop in quality is quite severe if Vihmann doesn't find form and the new left back isn't up to much.

I actually think that MOH could be an excellent link-up player if he has a frontman he can trust with give and goes and balls inside, that he can either shoot from or return the ball too. He has no chemistry with Kane. But I think you're right and that Matty may be the better option. Kennedy has already said he fancies playing through the middle as well. 

If may can play as Tony Watt that can finish his chances, which I think is probably a fair description of what he can do these days, I'd be delighted with that. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Potential issue is a lot of them will want to be going straight into a starting line up, we cant offer that.

In that case, Callum Booth might be the one who gets the nod. He's had a pre-season at Bury (I think) and is relatively experienced. 

Not advocating we move for him but he's probably the one who's most ready to go.