Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes I forgot about them.  

Isn't that down to the manager though?  He has a budget and is left to get on with how he wants to spend it?  He chose Vihmann when Gallagher fell through. And currently no one instead of Polworth, for whatever reason.  The pursuit of May over the summer seems to have been almost obsessional for Tommy.  But there is no denying centre forward was the weakest part of our squad would you not say?  Possibly that has meant we have to compromise in other areas.

The balance of our squad in terms of quality and experience does seem a bit disjointed, but still more than capable of mid table.

Out of interest, what signings (position wise) today would make you deem it an acceptable window?

Now that Foster is gone and Anderson is going, I'd have wanted both full backs to be experienced. Tanser has gone from being our youngest first team defender (bearing in mind Gordon and Kerr were either out on loan or U20s for the bulk of Tanser's first seaosn) to our oldest in the space of a couple of years. We're still missing that midfielder that Goss was supposed to be as well. I'd also like someone better than Kane and more experienced/less injury prone than Hendry as an option up top.

It's pie in the sky and I know the best we can hope for is probably another young full back and maybe one other, whether it's a centre mid or a striker I'm not sure. Wouldn't be that surprised if one of Shaw or Holt reemerged over the next few hours though.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The balance of our squad in terms of quality and experience does seem a bit disjointed, but still more than capable of mid table.

Not on present form. We need a starting centre back who can fill in at left back and defensive midfield player. Good luck trying to find them now. Whoever recommended Vihmann needs shot.

Just now, PauloPerth said:

Out of interest, what signings (position wise) today would make you deem it an acceptable window?

Should be clear that TW isn't getting off the hook here, I hold him and the chairman equally responsible for this window, a window I don't think can be salvaged by anything we do today. 

A stable club, only needing a handful of outfield signings, shouldn't be going into the last day of the window still looking to add as many as we are. It's very poor. 

We clearly need a left back but unless it's going to be a loan, today doesn't make much difference there. Dreadful effort to bring one in at a reasonable stage. 

The sort of quality we need in midfield can probably only arrive today though, so all eyes on that. Again, I'd have preferred the player to be bedded in by now to avoid another situation as with Goss where you bring the guy in then he isn't what you need. Holt would be fine I think. 

I'm not bothered about a striker or a centre back. Ideal worlds and all that but the other two positions are more pressing. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

With the greatest respect, every young player that comes out your system is fucking hopeless, tactically/positionally, once they hit the adult game. Fisher was hilariously bad until we sorted it out.

We cant afford yet another project player who'll take 5 months to learn the basics of the game.

It's a good move for Celtic and Ralston.

This is a really good point but also don't take it just as a direct shot at celtic

Matty Willock was the same, he had pace, energy and good ability but just had zero idea how to use his body or play in a competitive game - club academies create technical tidy players with no tactical awareness.

4 minutes ago, Radford said:

Should be clear that TW isn't getting off the hook here, I hold him and the chairman equally responsible for this window, a window I don't think can be salvaged by anything we do today. 

A stable club, only needing a handful of outfield signings, shouldn't be going into the last day of the window still looking to add as many as we are. It's very poor. 

We clearly need a left back but unless it's going to be a loan, today doesn't make much difference there. Dreadful effort to bring one in at a reasonable stage. 

The sort of quality we need in midfield can probably only arrive today though, so all eyes on that. Again, I'd have preferred the player to be bedded in by now to avoid another situation as with Goss where you bring the guy in then he isn't what you need. Holt would be fine I think. 

I'm not bothered about a striker or a centre back. Ideal worlds and all that but the other two positions are more pressing. 

A James Dunne type midfielder and a LB please anything else would be a bonus 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

With the greatest respect, every young player that comes out your system is fucking hopeless, tactically/positionally, once they hit the adult game. Fisher was hilariously bad until we sorted it out.

We cant afford yet another project player who'll take 5 months to learn the basics of the game.

It's a good move for Celtic and Ralston.

Fisher didn't really come through our youth system we signed him when he was 18/19. Ralston has actually come through our youth system and has played about 30 games in senior football and played at international youth level. The two really aren't comparable. He will be a bit rusty initially due to injury but development wise he is way further on than Fisher was.

Edited by gannonball

Goalkeepers

1. Zander Clark (27) -2022

12. Elliot Parish (29) – 2021

48. Max Johnstone (20) -2020

45. Ross Sinclair (18) – 2021 ­­– on loan at Brechin

Defenders

2. Wallace Duffy (20) -2021

21. Anthony Ralston (20) – 2020 – on loan from Celtic

6. Steven Anderson (33) - 2020 

23. Liam Gordon (23) - 2021

15. Jason Kerr (22) – 2022

5. Madis Vihmann (23) – 2020 – on loan from Flora

3. Scott Tanser (24) - 2021

Midfielders

7. Drey Wright (24) - 2020

10. David Wotherspoon (29) - 2021

8. Murray Davidson (31) - 2020 + 1

4. Ross Callachan (25) - 2020

26. Liam Craig (32) - 2020

20. Kyle McClean (20) - 2020

18. Ali McCann (19) - 2020  

33. Matty Kennedy (24) - 2020

11. Danny Swanson (32) - 2020

Forwards

16. David McMillan (30) - 2020

9. Chris Kane (24) - 2020

17. Michael O'Halloran (28) – 2021

14. Stevie May (26) – 2021 + 1

22. Callum Hendry (21) - 2020 

Here's the squad 11 hours before the deadline... 24 current first team players, with Sinclair out on loan.

Edited by Kyle

6 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Fisher didn't really come through our youth system we signed him when he was 18/19. Ralston has actually come through our youth system and has played about 30 games in senior football and played at international youth level. The two really aren't comparable. He will be a bit rusty initially due to injury but development wise he is way further on than Fisher was.

Did Fisher not have more top flight games when he joined us then Ralston does?

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Did Fisher not have more top flight games when he joined us then Ralston does?

Without checking wiki probably about the same if your talking about top level although he has already had 2 loan spells so wont be anywhere as naive as Fisher would have been. He's also had a roasting by Neymar in the champions league which is probably worth about a dozen games in itself in terms of development.

Sounds like we can expect 1 or 2 more in today, and that doesn't seem to include the left back. We've apparently identified '1 or 2' options that we can sign outside the window for that.

Wright also saying one or two players will hopefully leave 'for the sake of their careers'. You have to assume that's McMillan and Anderson but we'll see what the next 10 hours or so brings.

Sounds like he's expecting a long day regardless of anything else. No doubt we'll still be getting rumours near the deadline.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

How far has Anderson sank? I've never rated him (But you lot always have!) and as a CH - we are getting desperate. Could he still handle a title challenge/play-off push in the league below?

Youd be better asking Partick fans, hes not really played for us this year. 

Looked miles off it against County in the cup but maybe unfair to judge him completely based on that.

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Sounds like we can expect 1 or 2 more in today, and that doesn't seem to include the left back. We've apparently identified '1 or 2' options that we can sign outside the window for that.

Wright also saying one or two players will hopefully leave 'for the sake of their careers'. You have to assume that's McMillan and Anderson but we'll see what the next 10 hours or so brings.

Sounds like he's expecting a long day regardless of anything else. No doubt we'll still be getting rumours near the deadline.

Where have you seen this?