Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

9 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

👀👀

Aye, another inexperienced fucking kid is exactly what we need.

Fucking hell.

He's played 5, 90 minute, senior games in the past two seasons.

Wallace Duffy has played more this season.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Aye, another inexperienced fucking kid is exactly what we need.
Fucking hell.
He's played 5, 90 minute, senior games in the past two seasons.
Wallace Duffy has played more this season.

Sign a guy and then loan one that the one we signed was behind at his old club. Play loanee ahead of signed player. Both very young. Strange.

1 minute ago, andrewh said:

Sign a guy and then loan one that the one we signed was behind at his old club. Play loanee ahead of signed player. Both very young. Strange.

Even more confusing when you consider Ralston has looked fucking hopeless most of the time aswell.

That’s a rubbish signing, frankly.  Another player that we have to hope is good enough rather than a guaranteed first choice. 

I’d just persevere with Duffy if that’s the alternative. He looked well short today but what’s the point of us bringing in a player who’s about 6 months older, especially when we’re  just developing someone else’s player? 

Edited by Kyle

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

After watching foster today anybody else should be an improvement.

His replacement is a kid whos never played a full senior season before, and his replacement is a kid whos never played a full senior season before.

Its at the stage where our best right winger is going to be first choice right back.

9 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I’d just persevere with Duffy if that’s the alternative. He looked well short today but what’s the point of us bringing in a player who’s about 6 months older, especially when we’re  just developing someone else’s player? 

This. A million times this.

I understand we didn't have a lot of time to prepare for Foster leaving, and somebody is better than nobody, but whats the actual point in loaning him? Hes got 10 career games at this level. Ten. A total swing in the dark which will probably just hinder the development of the young right back we actually own.

A massive, massive, downgrade on Foster, in every on-field aspect.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

His replacement is a kid whos never played a full senior season before, and his replacement is a kid whos never played a full senior season before.

Its at the stage where our best right winger is going to be first choice right back.

Still can't be worse than Mr Angry.

2 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

In fairness, Duffy is absolutely nowhere near ready, Ralston has been trusted by Celtic on occasion, I’d be much more comfortable having him playing than Duffy. Not interested in the ‘developing someone else’s player,’ aspect either, I just want a competent right back for a year, which will give us time to find a long term solution. 

Whilst I don’t think Ralston is the answer, I’d be extremely surprised if at this stage of his career he’s not a much better option than Duffy. 

What stage of his career is that?

They're about the same age and Ralston has about 2 more top flight starts.

7 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

In fairness, Duffy is absolutely nowhere near ready, Ralston has been trusted by Celtic on occasion, I’d be much more comfortable having him playing than Duffy. Not interested in the ‘developing someone else’s player,’ aspect either, I just want a competent right back for a year, which will give us time to find a long term solution. 

Whilst I don’t think Ralston is the answer, I’d be extremely surprised if at this stage of his career he’s not a much better option than Duffy. 

I’ve not seen any evidence to suggest that Ralston is a competent right back either! Certainly didn’t pull up any trees at Dundee United and struggled to get a game against a one legged Lustig. He’s another gamble (albeit not as big a gamble as Duffy) but frankly we need better than that given the age and make up of the rest of the defence. 

A signing that just sums up the club at the moment. The issues have already been identified:

• No guarantee of ability (lacks experience) to fill void created by departure of an seasoned player. 
  • No long-term benefit to either the club (not our player) or our other right back. Stops Duffy getting games and doesn't have relevant experience to pass on. 

I appreciate this has happened late in the window but we should be looking for a long-term option, not a short-term fix.

Just now, Radford said:

A signing that just sums up the club at the moment. The issues have already been identified:

• No guarantee of ability (lacks experience) to fill void created by departure of an seasoned player. 
  • No long-term  benefit to either the club (not our player) or our other right back. Stops Duffy getting games and doesn't have relevant experience to pass on. 

I appreciate this has happened late in the window but we should be looking for a long-term option, not a short-term fix.

Heard at the match that we have signed Jason Naismith on loan..........hope it is true  or as Radford says above then Ralston not an answer in any way.

1 minute ago, Templar Saint said:

Heard at the match that we have signed Jason Naismith on loan..........hope it is true  or as Radford says above then Ralston not an answer in any way.

This feels like a sliding doors moment for our season.

Ralston or Naismith. An absolutely huge difference in quality between the two.

Absolutely certain itll be Ralston, it's just typical Saints really.

Duffy will improve mainly with games but also from those around him now he's in a first team environment. Jason Naismith, for example, would be a guaranteed improvement to our team, so you can stomach Duffy not getting the games he needs and that'd be offset by him hopefully picking up something from a good player. 

Ralston would hold Duffy back, provide no guarantee of improving the team and doesn't have anything to pass on to our own signed player. 

Again, I appreciate the short notice the club got here but this is disappointing business.

Agree with radford. Signing Ralston is lazy, unambitious, doesn’t guarantee any improvement on what we have and doesn’t help develop our own young player. 

I’d rather have kept a huffy Foster and taken the hit in the changing room environment.