Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

9 minutes ago, Bankfoot Saints said:

You expecting someone in today?

No idea. 

3 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

From a level-headed, neutral point of view, there has literally been nothing more inevitable or likely for weeks than May joining St J before the window closes so I think you can cool your jets on that one. Whether he will be your next signing is another matter. 

I'm not worried tbh, it'll take something mental for it not to happen now.

I just think someone else will be first.

BUT THATS PURELY MY OPINION AND NO BASED ON ANYTHING. 

5 minutes ago, Dele said:

What happens if the May deal falls through (5th time?).. Is that it for him at Saints, will he have burnt his bridges or will he always be accepted with open arms? 

Depends on why it fell apart, for me.

1 hour ago, Dele said:

What happens if the May deal falls through (5th time?).. Is that it for him at Saints, will he have burnt his bridges or will he always be accepted with open arms? 

Pfft. we're not that amateur. It's only fallen through 3 times previously.

Edited by Kyle

TW: "When I have Wotherspoon, Wright, Kennedy, O'Halloran, Swanson, Kane, Hendry and my new striker I'll be sitting back happy. Don't think he can sit back happy, he  has to get the defending sorted out. If we continue to concede 2 goals a game, we will struggle to win no matter how good the firepower is.

17 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Is anyone nervous that nothing will happen? It seems like the talk about getting signings in and working hard has been going on forever. 

Na, there'll be signings. It'll either be someone from south of the border that nobody has heard of and be brilliant ala Drey Wright, or it'll be someone from south of the border that everybody has heard of and be absolute shite ala Chris Iwelumo.

That, or both of the above.

Come on @Kyle you tease, you can't just put that line about not commenting further and leave it at that!!  Full manager's email message here:

It was another great away day at Easter Road on Saturday and another late goal for the travelling fans to celebrate. I think we were more than good value for the point and actually deserved to win the game based on our performance overall.

To go away from home and dominate possession and create more chances than the opposition was really pleasing. Once again we showed great character to keep going right to the end after twice going behind. Of course there are things we can do better but I was really pleased with the performances of all my players. 

It's set down a marker now and I want to see the players build on that and continue to improve. I know what they are capable of and the squad should take confidence from the weekend's performance.

The backing from the away supporters at Easter Road was first class and it definitely helped the players on the pitch. We need to bring that performance back home against Kilmarnock on Saturday and hopefully the fans will do the same and get behind us right from the first whistle.

I'd also like to address the reports in the press over the past few days regarding Richard Foster. There was an incident in training which has been reported to the Club and the matter is being dealt with internally. In an ideal world these things don't get out but with the way social media is these days it can happen.

Once the matter is resolved I'm sure there will be an official statement from the Club but until then I won't be commenting on it further.

We're in the final week of the transfer window and hopefully it's going to be a busy one. I know there has been frustration about the lack of signings but we haven't been idle. We've been working hard all summer and the Chairman and I continue to do so.

I fully expect there to be some movement this week to add to our already strong squad as we look to build on the progress that we made last season.

Thank you all for your continued support - see you on Saturday!

Best wishes,

Tommy Wright
St. Johnstone Manager

Edited by PauloPerth

1 minute ago, SaintDougie said:

Na, there'll be signings. It'll either be someone from south of the border that nobody has heard of and be brilliant ala Drey Wright, or it'll be someone from south of the border that everybody has heard of and be absolute shite ala Chris Iwelumo.

That, or both of the above.

I don't actually know what we're going to do when Wright is fit again. Kennedy and O'Halloran are picking themselves on the wings - MOH in particular was absolutely electric on Saturday - yet Wright would've been in contention for our player of the year last year.

Wright MOH Kennedy

May

...in a 4-2-3-1 is perhaps the solution? Big job for the midfielders behind them, especially with bombing full backs, but a brilliant problem for the manager to have. 

If only we had such quality depth everywhere on the park.

Just now, Kyle said:

I don't actually know what we're going to do when Wright is fit again. Kennedy and O'Halloran are picking themselves on the wings - MOH in particular was absolutely electric on Saturday - yet Wright would've been in contention for our player of the year last year.

Wright MOH Kennedy

May

...in a 4-2-3-1 is perhaps the solution? Big job for the midfielders behind them, especially with bombing full backs, but a brilliant problem for the manager to have. 

I'd probably opt for the above if pushed to pick all three.

Craig & Davidson are probably at the stage in their respective careers that sitting in a bit in midfield should (in theory) suit them well enough, a like for like sub with each other playing alongside one of the younger lads.

Although saying that, I'm not sure how effective May would be as a lone striker, he was always at his best with us previously when Macca was holding the ball up and laying it off for him.

We still need cover at both right and left back.  I suspect that Tommy was happy to have Foster cover left back, as he has covered there before, but if Foster goes, we only have one recognised full back at each side.  Hopefully, the issue will be sorted out quickly as this will free up wages for Tommy to do something.  I would imagine that Foster would be on a decent wage, so should free up a good chunk of budget to get in cover, as well as the midfielder and striker that we are STILL waiting for 🙄

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Wright MOH Kennedy

May

I'm surprised Kennedy is so rarely used through the middle after really impressing there a few times last season.

I'd be happy with MOH and Drey wide, with Kennedy off the striker, with the option for Matt and MOH to swap during the game. Worth remembering Tommy also used Drey Wright centrally when we played 5-3-2 in the 1-0 win at Motherwell last season.  When you throw in the fact that Swanson is also a quality wide player who can play off the striker as well, it really is an embarrassment of attacking riches. As you say, with that depth of quality all over the park we'd be unstoppable!

3 minutes ago, SaintDougie said:

I'd probably opt for the above if pushed to pick all three.

Craig & Davidson are probably at the stage in their respective careers that sitting in a bit in midfield should (in theory) suit them well enough, a like for like sub with each other playing alongside one of the younger lads.

Although saying that, I'm not sure how effective May would be as a lone striker, he was always at his best with us previously when Macca was holding the ball up and laying it off for him.

Indeed. I think McCann looks comfortable in that position and if we do sign Holt, he would fit that mould too. I started the season thinking we had 2 reliable centre mid options (I really don't rate Callachan) and we could end up with 3 + a very capable looking youngster vying for 2 or 3 spots in the team, with McClean also making a case for himself in there.

All roads lead to Callachan being trebauchet'd though, along with Foster, Anderson and McMillan.