Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Butterkist stocks in Perth will need heavily replenished if TW cuts BP (Banter Page) favourite Ross Callachan. 
Glorious. 

FWIW I’d probably keep him as back up to Davidson/Craig but that presumably doesn’t fit with the narrative that Mclean/McCann will be here involved all season. I’d have probably done the same with Alston as well in fairness though I appreciate Wright has had to clearly trim the squad and cut the playing budget this season.

If you had the choice of keeping Callachan as a backup, thus putting McClean/McCann another step down the line from the first time, or punting him (and McMillan) to bring in May and Cummings, is it really a choice?

Callachan has some good attributes but he’s not good enough for this level. Not even close.

6 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Dream midfield

Callaghan Paton Adams Malone

Craig Thomson available to come on and provide some flair if needed.

This is the most ridiculous thing i've seen in such a long time. how can you leave out Liam Caddis ?!?!

If you had the choice of keeping Callachan as a backup, thus putting McClean/McCann another step down the line from the first time, or punting him (and McMillan) to bring in May and Cummings, is it really a choice?

Callachan has some good attributes but he’s not good enough for this level. Not even close.

Agree with the first segment thought I’m not sure I’d be so scathing to say he’s not even close for this level. He’s had some good games for us...has he not? I’ve only seen the two young boys play once (although I did watch Mclean at Linfield on sky last season) so don’t know what use they will be as back
up to (huge fan btw) unfortunately an injury prone Murray and the ageing Liam. Would be delighted if they were up to the standard though.

24 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Pretty much it in a nutshell.

Callachan was superb away to Dens at New Years, and is a useful player in the squad, but if hes to be sacrificed to beef up the attack, I'm fine with that, as hes unlikely to ever be good enough to be a regular. McCann and McLean maybe less physical, but both are light years ahead of him on the ball.

I was more upset about Cregg leaving.

I still don’t get this myth that Davidson is injury prone. I’m sure someone will have the stats but I’d be inclined to say he’s been available for 90% of our games the last few seasons and given his style it’s no wonder he sometimes misses the odd one.

46 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

You should post more on here.

57 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Dream midfield

Callaghan Paton Adams Malone

Craig Thomson available to come on and provide some flair if needed.

Its a shame Kevin Moon is injured

Just now, Super_J said:

Think Swanson's got his puff back from minute 9 of yesterday's match yet?

I thought he was very good yesterday. 

Maybe an unpopular opinion but if you watch Swanson off the ball he works really really hard, always tracking back. What I think fans find difficult with him is when he has the ball he slows it up and looks a little pedestrian with it. What he's doing though is trying to draw defenders in so he can skip away and get past them.  He doesn't have blinding pace where he can beat someone in a foot race for the ball so he's always looking to try and get a half yard but he needs the defender close to him for that. He plays with his head up and is always looking for a forward pass. The problem for Swanson is that if there are no runners and he slows down and gets tackled it looks like he's not trying/not fit/cumbersome/lazy. He's also one of those players who needs to play every week to keep 100% sharp - there are a few out there like that.

I've got faith with a run of games we will see the real Danny Swanson - a goal will do him the world of good.