Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I've been telling people for weeks that I don't think we should go for May, not the same player, will be too expensive for the return, will tarnish his legacy etc etc.

Now its legitimately being talked about there is nothing more I want in life than to see Stevie May in a 2 year old Macron template kit for Saints. I am positively moist at the prospect.

Bring him home!

I honestly feel sorry for St Johnstone fans here. Lose/lose situation - Either:

1. You sign him and he tarnishes his legacy.
2. You miss out on signing him after the thought got your hopes up.

It'd be similar to us with Kane Hemmings (Although he'd smash the Championship tbf) or f**k, we've not had that many good strikers now I think about it...

8 minutes ago, Reignman said:

I've been telling people for weeks that I don't think we should go for May, not the same player, will be too expensive for the return, will tarnish his legacy etc etc.

Now its legitimately being talked about there is nothing more I want in life than to see Stevie May in a 2 year old Macron template kit for Saints. I am positively moist at the prospect.

Bring him home!

This pretty much sums up how I’ve felt over the last few weeks. I’m reluctant because of his recent record but we can’t pass up the chance to bring him back if he’s willing and we can afford him. I can’t imagine it’ll be difficult to convince him that saints and Tommy Wright represent his best chance of finding his 2014 form if we get as far as being able to talk to him.  Taking into account the other options out there, May is probably the best we can hope for. You have to imagine the chairman will push the boat out for him more than any other player, both in terms of wages and a potential fee.

Having said all that, I do worry about what Ludo’s posted below. We have to bear in mind that he might not be able to produce what he used to for us. If we look at it in terms of what he is replacing, Watt only scored 3 league goals last season. Two of which were against the bottom 2 and an own goal he claimed against Hibs. Stevie May playing through the middle week in week out will definitely manage more than that. 

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It'd be similar to us with Kane Hemmings (Although he'd smash the Championship tbf) or f**k, we've not had that many good strikers now I think about it...

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

This pretty much sums up how I’ve felt over the last few weeks. I’m reluctant because of his recent record but we can’t pass up the chance to bring him back if he’s willing and we can afford him. I can’t imagine it’ll be difficult to convince him that saints and Tommy Wright represent his best chance of finding his 2014 form if we get as far as being able to talk to him.  Taking into account the other options out there, May is probably the best we can hope for. You have to imagine the chairman will push the boat out for him more than any other player, both in terms of wages and a potential fee.

Having said all that, I do worry about what Ludo’s posted below. We have to bear in mind that he might not be able to produce what he used to for us. If we look at it in terms of what he is replacing, Watt only scored 3 league goals last season. Two of which were against the bottom 2 and an own goal he claimed against Hibs. Stevie May playing through the middle week in week out will definitely manage more than that. 

To be fair, I didn't take into account the McInnes effect - Look what he done to Greg Stewart. May might go on to be the top scorer next season if he signs! So many variables and question marks over him - but I'd say the odds are on disappointment wherever he goes. Quite bizarre that there are so many question marks of a player that must have played nigh on 100 games in the top flight.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

To be fair, I didn't take into account the McInnes effect - Look what he done to Greg Stewart. May might go on to be the top scorer next season if he signs! So many variables and question marks over him - but I'd say the odds are on disappointment wherever he goes. Quite bizarre that there are so many question marks of a player that must have played nigh on 100 games in the top flight.

I think he’ll be over 100 games. He’ll be a roughly 1 in 4 striker in the premiership over the course of his career, although 20 of those goals came in one season. 

The other variable is the lack of Steven Maclean. He was a huge part of May’s success and development. There was a 4 month spell during the 13/14 season that Maclean missed because of injury and May’s form didn’t drop, but he still had the benefit of having Hasselbaink beside him. I’d argue both of those players are far better than any of our other natural options up top. 

Whatever the variables, bring him home. We can worry about the details later. 

Edited by Kyle

If Saints are in for him, then surely it's his only realistic option out of the four clubs mentioned.  As poor as his form has been, he must rate himself higher than having to drop down to a lower division at this stage of his career, which would rule out the dundees.

Can't imagine St Mirren will be able to offer much more money than us, and in a straight choice it's going to be Perthshire over Paisley everytime.

I think that puts us in a strong bargaining position, so hope we don't feel we have to go overboard and spend a fee on him/ offer huge wages.

As uninspiring as I personally find the thought of him signing, one undeniable fact is that he will put numbers on the gate, particularly early on in the season, and we'll probably see a mini-surge in season ticket sales. He seems to still be a bit of a hero to many younger starstruck fans, so hopefully would result in a few extra teenage fans coming back to matches as well.

I'm going to try and be more positive here,

May's 20 goal season came when we had macca, but we also had a pretty big lack of creativity too, McDonald, Wotherspoon, Dunne and a young MOH. now he will have Kennedy, Wright, experienced MOH, Swanson, and big Denzell supplying him.

40 goals, a treble , Ballon D'or and the first Knighthood in the newly independent Scotland.... 

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not having a go, as if he wasnt an absolute hero then I'd likely be raging about this signing (for example, if we'd signed Sammon or Main). Only hope are wee ditties like this...

DwoM2ZsW0AEJVuj.thumb.jpeg.a14da25b5135ff6d627a60f5c3f71fff.jpeg

Just one game against Livingston, but sums up the issues May has at Aberdeen trying to get chances, that left side of the box always felt like his "danger zone" yet hes virtually never there for them.

His "quality of chance" is absolutely brutal aswell, virtually never gets a clear shot in the box for Aberdeen. 

The fact we’ve gone all out to say we are trying to get this deal done makes me think it won’t happen and we’ll end up with Miles Storey or somebody..........

No news on Zander signing extended deal yet either, “end of the week”

3 minutes ago, Costanza said:

The fact we’ve gone all out to say we are trying to get this deal done makes me think it won’t happen and we’ll end up with Miles Storey or somebody..........

No news on Zander signing extended deal yet either, “end of the week”

You're so negative, Costanza

Don't think Tommy would be speaking about if Steve Brown and him had not had many talks about Stevie. They must know money will have to be spent and it's time we spent some cash. How about a loan return for Macca as well?
Go for it saints

3 minutes ago, akuram said:

Don't think Tommy would be speaking about if Steve Brown and him had not had many talks about Stevie. They must know money will have to be spent and it's time we spent some cash. How about a loan return for Macca as well?
Go for it saints

Because the way we've operated over the past 10 years has worked so badly??!!