Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

46 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Here he is

Image result for st johnstone fan

Its a massive relief to find you've been stalking the wrong person all this time. No longer will I be afraid when the stairs in my house creak at midnight.

16 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

Buzzing for this season to end tbh.

There is something refreshing about watching matches with nothing riding on them, at this stage of the season, really for the first time since 2011!

Enjoyed a fair bit of the Saints performance today and the next few games could be alright, especially if we can see Scougall back, Willock can show a bit more and we get a proper look at McMillan and some of the younger players.

The rest of the season will be an absolute slog, younger players getting a chance or not. 

Willock clearly has no idea where he's meant to be on the pitch, not his fault but it led to us being overrun in the middle. 

I’m siding with radford. I’d have been raging at the late winner under normal circumstances but all it did for me today was add to the drama. 

Id like to see more of young Robertson. Might as well give him some playing time beside Maclean whilst he’s still with us. 

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

I’m siding with radford. I’d have been raging at the late winner under normal circumstances but all it did for me today was add to the drama. 

Id like to see more of young Robertson. Might as well give him some playing time beside Maclean whilst he’s still with us. 

It's alright once or twice, but five games of absolute nothing will be a bit boring by the end, especially if we end up losing them all. 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Willock clearly has no idea where he's meant to be on the pitch, not his fault but it led to us being overrun in the middle. 

Didn't feel we were particularly overrun at all. I feared we might have been but thought we largely controlled the first hour then our problem became the quality, lack of, in our own passing, rather than anything Dundee were doing.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's alright once or twice, but five games of absolute nothing will be a bit boring by the end, especially if we end up losing them all. 

Certainly a chance we will lose them all given what’s riding on the games for the clubs below and the fact Motherwells’ players will be looking to cement their place in the cup final team. Ultimately though it’s unlikely we’ll drop below 9th so it doesn’t really matter that much, although it might cut a player from Tommy’s squad for next season if we do end up dropping down the league  

Last 5 games are all about giving Mannus, Millar and Maclean a long send off for me. Im delighted I got to celebrate a Maclean one more time today - hopefully he can get one or two more before the end of the season. Results don’t matter right now for me. 

1 minute ago, Radford said:

Didn't feel we were particularly overrun at all. I feared we might have been but thought we largely controlled the first hour then our problem became the quality, lack of, in our own passing, rather than anything Dundee were doing.

Meant in an attacking sense more than defensive. Kamara gets the ball for Dundee, and has options in space. Millar gets ball for us, has no options. Dundee pressed more than us, but half the problem was Craig being unwilling to get the ball under pressure (maybe a good thing tbf, he range of passing is absolutely woeful, a simple ten yard pass to Tanser and he's in, and for some reason he lofts it, it bounces before it reaches Tanser, then Craig goes mental at him) and Willock either standing still of making pointless runs. 

If we could punt Liam Craig this summer, I would. He’s constantly the weakest player in the midfield and for all the old grit and determination he had and goals he popped up with, he’s simply not that player anymore. Why he wants to play deep and ping 40 years passes out of play when he struggles to pick a man out from 5. It’s time for him to go, take out his penalties, what’s he contributing?

Yes I know RandomGuy will come along and give his moneyball stats and expected chances and assists, but they’re all coming from set pieces. He’s not even a good set piece taker, I’d argue Tanser would have more than Craig of given the opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

If we could punt Liam Craig this summer, I would. He’s constantly the weakest player in the midfield and for all the old grit and determination he had and goals he popped up with, he’s simply not that player anymore. Why he wants to play deep and ping 40 years passes out of play when he struggles to pick a man out from 5. It’s time for him to go, take out his penalties, what’s he contributing?

Yes I know RandomGuy will come along and give his moneyball stats and expected chances and assists, but they’re all coming from set pieces. He’s not even a good set piece taker, I’d argue Tanser would have more than Craig of given the opportunity.

Not a chance I'll defend Craig. He's not a starting central midfielder. Every issue I had with Paton can be argued with Craig aswell. 

He's alright as back up, but I'd be hugely disappointed if TW saw him as a regular starter next season. 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Meant in an attacking sense more than defensive. Kamara gets the ball for Dundee, and has options in space. Millar gets ball for us, has no options. 

I don't disagree about our failings, although Dundee were quite well organised, but we were hardly given a lesson in midfield play. Didn't feel Dundee really hurt as at all today from open play.

On Liam Craig, he wasn't good enough to play centrally when he was here the first time, so goes without saying that he probably shouldn't be doing now.

Agree Craig should be back up, and a good experienced player to bring on if we're trying to see a game out. Surprised at RG's commments about Willock, I thought he looked good first half, though he faded a lot, as did Williams after HT.

I'm with Radford and Kyle, I'm looking forward to the next few games, especially if we bring the same appetite we did today. It was a proper competitive match, but without the fear that we needed points.  I look forward to seeing more of McCann, Robertson, K McLean, as well as hopefully plenty minutes for Scougall and Macmillan.

Still not convinced a back three is best for us, though it definitely suits Tansers game more. Probably depends more on personnel, but I felt there were times Maclean looked very isolated, and we had few options in the box to get on the end of crosses. Today's line up looked a bit safe at times, especially when chasing the game, as none of Willock, Millar or Craig made many runs beyond the striker at all, most of their game was played in front of Dundee's defence, which made it fairly predictable.

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

I don't disagree about our failings, although Dundee were quite well organised, but we were hardly given a lesson in midfield play. Didn't feel Dundee really hurt as at all today from open play.

Definitely. My point was just that in possession we seemed short in the middle because Willock wasn't an active part of the play, not all the time, but the majority. 

That's something that'll improve with games, though.