Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Thomson looked ok for about 5 minutes against Accies last season.

Apart from that he's been totally out of his depth.

Another player who probably suffered from a lack of serious game time, and I'm not suggesting that should've been with us. He was 19, turning 20, when he got his first loan spell and regular senior football. And then had a season of sitting on the bench and youth football. I'm totally convinced that's the wrong way to develop your young players. 

Also, am I reading too much into this? 

Totally unconvinced Swanson is headed back to us, tbh, not sure a player on their way out would be taken over to Portugal with the squad

McKenzie is free in the Summer so fits into the "almost agreed a PCA and working to get them in this window" and "winger" descriptions.

Edited by RandomGuy.

15 minutes ago, Radford said:

The sooner we get renowned youth coach, with 30 years of experience, Alistair Stevenson out the door and replaced with @RandomGuy. the better. Get someone in who knows how to develop young players.

I'm not saying the issue is with the youth development, I'm saying the issue is with bridging the gap between Stevenson and Wright. Ideally they'd "serve their apprenticeship" at a lower league to acclimatise to regularly playing senior football, which is what we're seeing now with the numerous youngsters we've had out on loan over the past three seasons. There was definitely a batch who came through who were neglected in that regard and were left to develop through U20 games and the odd appearance, and we probably hung around with them for too long as we were never sure quite what level they were at because they never actually played any football (Caddis is the obvious, blazing example of that)

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not saying the issue is with the youth development, I'm saying the issue is with bridging the gap between Stevenson and Wright. Ideally they'd "serve their apprenticeship" at a lower league to acclimatise to regularly playing senior football, which is what we're seeing now with the numerous youngsters we've had out on loan over the past three seasons. There was definitely a batch who came through who were neglected in that regard and were left to develop through U20 games and the odd appearance, and we probably hung around with them for too long as we were never sure quite what level they were at because they never actually played any football (Caddis is the obvious, blazing example of that)

Wright made comments two or three seasons ago about there being a step change in sides actively looking to get our young players on loan. Previously we had struggled to attract attention for most bar one or two of the better players.

The club made a decision to start focussing more on youth again when Stevenson returned and that will take time to come to fruition. I'd take the fact that our youngsters are now attracting more interest as a mark of improvement rather than a reflection of a change of approach. The main reason that Thomson hasn't had much football is because he isn't very good.

38 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Wright made comments two or three seasons ago about there being a step change in sides actively looking to get our young players on loan. Previously we had struggled to attract attention for most bar one or two of the better players.

The club made a decision to start focussing more on youth again when Stevenson returned and that will take time to come to fruition. I'd take the fact that our youngsters are now attracting more interest as a mark of improvement rather than a reflection of a change of approach. The main reason that Thomson hasn't had much football is because he isn't very good.

Fair enough, I've never seen those comments tbh.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

While we're on the topic of youngsters who never made it, Kevin Moon has signed for Stirling.

I read an interview with him from earlier this year and he seemed to be loving life in Australia. Surprised to see him back in Scotland to be honest.

4 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Swanson can GTF. 

We're like his standby ride.

I’m ok with that. He’s great entertainment value and I’d quite like to see him kick Foster in the head again. 

9 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Swanson can GTF. 

We're like his standby ride.

Aye, but hes the wee fat ride who gives you the best pumping of your life.

3 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

It's Robert Thomson reporting it as well. He's usually spot  on.

Ooft! Thats it pretty much confirmed then.

5677879.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

Welcome Home, Danny.