Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I'm not really sure why you're signing him

Because Millar and Davidson will miss games next season, and we need a player who can step in and provide defensive cover in the centre of the park when that happens. For all the hype about Brown he was always too indisciplined for that, he had the potential and showed against Celtic he could maybe become it, but I don't think next season will be one where we can afford to rely on players who can't cope regularly at this level. 

For all the moaning we've just a 29 year old defensive midfielder, whos been a regular in this league for the past three years, for a team who'd been finishing in the top half, on a free. His "sideways" passing style is something players have success with at us before aswell. 

I'm not delighted we've gone for him, but Im not willing to write him off considering the history he has in this division. Theres no doubt hes made us stronger, depth wise, in the midfield this season regardless of his performance.

Michael Coulson

Danny Swanson

Liam Craig

Murray Davidson

Paul Paton

Chris Millar

Blair Alston

David Wotherspoon

Craig Thomson

Peter Pawlett (?)

I'm not being funny, lads, but our midfield options are obscene. With or without Pawlett, we will stroll this league.

Michael Coulson

Danny Swanson

Liam Craig

Murray Davidson

Paul Paton

Chris Millar

Blair Alston

David Wotherspoon

Craig Thomson

Peter Pawlett (?)

I'm not being funny, lads, but our midfield options are obscene. With or without Pawlett, we will stroll this league.

I'd remove Thomson tbh, be amazed if he doesnt get loaned out.

Paton isn't a 'sideways' passing midfielder though, Rankin is. Paton attempts 40 yard worldy passes that very rarely come off.

He's always seemed a bit "sideways" to me tbh, either way if Paton can pump balls into the channels for Cummins/Kane to aimlessly chase then he'll fit in fine.

I'm not really sure why you're signing him. He's a very poor imitation of Murray Davidson, on probably double the wage.

Pretty much. Especially considering the point Deeboy raised which is that you've got an infinitely superior option in Murray Davidson

Paul Paton, what a woeful signing.

Paton isn't a 'sideways' passing midfielder though, Rankin is. Paton attempts 40 yard worldy passes that very rarely come off.

Poor signing for Saints.

emperor-palpatine.jpg

We can all say some players are really shite and we wouldn't want them in our team but on more than one occasion football fans have been proven wrong.

E.g. Ross Tokely at Ross County, who came in to the club, did what was asked of him to benefit the team, and many of us - me included - had some humble pie to eat.

I've written a blog about St Johnstone's challenge next season.

https://footballandstuffblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/08/tommy-wrights-biggest-challenge-yet/

Constructive criticism welcome. Might be shite.

Very good, can't really argue with any of to be honest.

Both us and St Mirren have offered Sutton contracts, as well as either Ayr or Airdrie. I thought that Sutton had signed for the saints already but it seems he's still considering the offers at the minute. Is he not still signed up for next season?

I reckon he'd be a brilliant signing for any team in the championship..?

I've written a blog about St Johnstone's challenge next season.

https://footballandstuffblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/08/tommy-wrights-biggest-challenge-yet/

Constructive criticism welcome. Might be shite.

You probably need to use the phrase "over achieving" another 50 times. It's what the media tends to do.

Wouldn't say that, seems to be on a pretty rapid slide.

2 year ago, he was banging them in for Motherwell, I still think he'd score quite a few in the championship. Wasn't really given a chance at St Johnstone, I don't think. If he signs for St Mirren, then I hope you're right :lol:

Wouldn't say that, seems to be on a pretty rapid slide.

No-one knows if it's a massive slide or not...he started a few games for us (I'll say 8 but someone will probably correct me!!) and for he majority of the rest of them did exactly the same thing.

1. Ran on to the park really quickly
  2. Took a poor few touches
  3. Moaned a bit at the ref
  4. Had a few decent touches
  5. Stood in the box waiting for the cross....which never came.
  6. Applauded supporters

Once the team was settled he was never going to shift McLean, Kane or Cummins and seemed resigned to his fate.

FWIW, I thnk he would do ok at Championship level playing in a team with a bit of width.