The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2016-2017

glensmad

So Girvan only need a point at Yoker to be champions.

And even if Maryhill and Cumbernauld United were both to win their last games (both on Wednesday), a point would also be enough for Yoker to be safe...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted this in tonights scores, hoefully get an answer here.  

Cracking finish to the west super 1st, a point Girvan champs, defeat last game minimum play-off, and when do the Peasies play their last game and who do they play? Kilsyth still in the hunt as well, tough play-off for buffs whatever happens, definitely taking these play-off games in. 

3 minutes ago, djorkiev said:

Posted this in tonights scores, hoefully get an answer here.  

Cracking finish to the west super 1st, a point Girvan champs, defeat last game minimum play-off, and when do the Peasies play their last game and who do they play? Kilsyth still in the hunt as well, tough play-off for buffs whatever happens, definitely taking these play-off games in. 

Yoker away I think. Still TBC

8 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Rutherglen will spank Cumbernauld tonight methinks. Not sure it will be enough though.

Wrong - as a matter of fact not even close .In my opinion Glens lucky tonight to get a share of the points .Still tight as a ducks erse in a sand storm at the bottom .Perm any one from 3 for the fourth relegation place.....Yoker have the toughest finish though

51 minutes ago, LeedsPhil said:

So Girvan only need a point at Yoker to be champions.

And even if Maryhill and Cumbernauld United were both to win their last games (both on Wednesday), a point would also be enough for Yoker to be safe...

If Cumbernauld win, Yoker  still need  a win or two draws to stay up.

Edited - no you're right enough! Could be an interesting game that with a draw good enough for both teams....

Wrong - as a matter of fact not even close .In my opinion Glens lucky tonight to get a share of the points .Still tight as a ducks erse in a sand storm at the bottom .Perm any one from 3 for the fourth relegation place.....Yoker have the toughest finish though

Can only hope maryhill and cumbernauld win on Wed then hope yoker beat Girvan on sat were champions and yoker safe.

Mon the papers

Well the dream is over for us, and to be honest we never really got going tonight, although it was nice to grab a draw at the end and give us a bit of hope going into injury time.

It's encouraging to be able to say that we still had a chance of promotion right up to the final whistle of our last game of the season.

We will take the positives from this season and work on the negatuves, and hopefully we'll be right up there challenging next season.

Hopefully the majority of the squad will still be with us, and we'll add a few to make us better.

We only lost 5 games, and only Kilsyth have lost fewer. It's​ the 9 draws that have killed our promotion chances this year, and Kilsyth (10 draws) will be hoping they​ don't suffer the same fate.

After 10 games we had only 10 points, so to take 35 points from the next 16 games is terrific. Translate that form over a full season and we'll be right up there.

I can't wait for next season already, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching my team this season, we've played some great football.

1 hour ago, passbackdave said:

Can only hope maryhill and cumbernauld win on Wed then hope yoker beat Girvan on sat were champions and yoker safe.

Mon the papers

I like that scenario, add into it we beat Irvine Vics and we grab second spot

Well the dream is over for us, and to be honest we never really got going tonight, although it was nice to grab a draw at the end and give us a bit of hope going into injury time.

It's encouraging to be able to say that we still had a chance of promotion right up to the final whistle of our last game of the season.

We will take the positives from this season and work on the negatuves, and hopefully we'll be right up there challenging next season.

Hopefully the majority of the squad will still be with us, and we'll add a few to make us better.

We only lost 5 games, and only Kilsyth have lost fewer. It's​ the 9 draws that have killed our promotion chances this year, and Kilsyth (10 draws) will be hoping they​ don't suffer the same fate.

After 10 games we had only 10 points, so to take 35 points from the next 16 games is terrific. Translate that form over a full season and we'll be right up there.

I can't wait for next season already, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching my team this season, we've played some great football.

Aye use have been unlucky tbh like u say the draws killed use and it's been mentioned all season. Use seem 2 have found the right balance n formation Galway thru the season. To pick up 36 points out 48 in this league is a great stat. That's league title stuff just a pity the other 10 games were poor. As the best n hopefully play use soon

Mon the papers

1 hour ago, passbackdave said:

Aye use have been unlucky tbh like u say the draws killed use and it's been mentioned all season. Use seem 2 have found the right balance n formation Galway thru the season. To pick up 36 points out 48 in this league is a great stat. That's league title stuff just a pity the other 10 games were poor. As the best n hopefully play use soon

Mon the papers

To be honest, they weren't really that poor. We were playing well enough early in the season but not getting results, e.g. draws v Shettleston, Kilsyth and Irvine Meadow (all away) were games we should have won on the balance of play, we drew at home v Petershill as well. The only games we were poor in were our defeats to Cumbernauld at home and away v Shotts and Yoker, and with no disrespect intended they are games you need to win to be promoted when you look at their current league positions.

We had 12 new players last summer and it took us a while to gel and find our best shape, but when we did it clicked. We are unbeaten away from home since November (8 wins plus last night's draw) including wins away at Clydebank, Girvan and Petershill.

We've only lost one game in the last 16 league matches, a 1-0 home defeat to Shettleston, and we should have won that game too, one 'Town punter described it as "a mugging" after the game.

But that's football, if you don't score enough goals then you don't win the prizes, and I think that's where we've fallen down this year. 50 league goals is not too bad, but it's less than all our promotion rivals. Our defence is on a par with all the others, but we've just missed too many chances over the season resulting in 9 draws. One more goal in just 3 of those games would have seen us automatically promoted.

But hey, we look forward to next season with real optimism.

To be honest, they weren't really that poor. We were playing well enough early in the season but not getting results, e.g. draws v Shettleston, Kilsyth and Irvine Meadow (all away) were games we should have won on the balance of play, we drew at home v Petershill as well. The only games we were poor in were our defeats to Cumbernauld at home and away v Shotts and Yoker, and with no disrespect intended they are games you need to win to be promoted when you look at their current league positions.

We had 12 new players last summer and it took us a while to gel and find our best shape, but when we did it clicked. We are unbeaten away from home since November (8 wins plus last night's draw) including wins away at Clydebank, Girvan and Petershill.

We've only lost one game in the last 16 league matches, a 1-0 home defeat to Shettleston, and we should have won that game too, one 'Town punter described it as "a mugging" after the game.

But that's football, if you don't score enough goals then you don't win the prizes, and I think that's where we've fallen down this year. 50 league goals is not too bad, but it's less than all our promotion rivals. Our defence is on a par with all the others, but we've just missed too many chances over the season resulting in 9 draws. One more goal in just 3 of those games would have seen us automatically promoted.

But hey, we look forward to next season with real ootimism.

If your auntie had baws.........

If your auntie had baws.........

Yep, that old frustrating phrase of football fans, and as Dick Advocaat once said, "I can do nothing with 'if'."

I'm sure whoever finishes 4th will have a similar hard luck story to tell.

10 minutes ago, Beckanbaur said:

Look on the bright side Peter you get a minimum of 3 derbies next season now!

Yeh, that's a wee bit of added interest, it's been a while since we've met more than once a season. I expect Cambuslang to be in the top half and challenging, as they're very strong from middle to front. It was interesting talking to a couple of your committee at our game last night, they confirmed my opinion that 'Lang's achilles heel is their defence, and that's where they will have to spend their money this summer.

The relegation issue could be settled tomorrow night, or maybe not :-

Cumbernauld United (10th) v Blantyre Victoria (13th)

Maryhill (11th) v Irvine Victoria (14th)

Two homes wins would see Cumbernauld safe and Yoker needing a point from their last game on Saturday against Girvan, who also only need a point to win the league. I expected Maryhill to climb clear of the drop zone, but it's down to their last match now and even a win might not be enough for them.

Your thoughts ?

Archived