The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2016-2017

glensmad

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, BANKIEBILL said:

I think it could've been possible yes although the lack of consistency was a worry. However the new guys haven't really brought anyone in - indeed the squad is smaller now. Anyhoo we are where we are and the new guys deserve our support and they've certainly presided over a great run recently and put us in a great position - so that must be lauded wholeheartedly.

It's hard to tell what would've happened in this league tbh. A lot of twists and turns. Rutherglen looked a great side in the 3/4 times I've seen them but I know they've had a lot of draws. Then Shettleston seemed to be flying until the management/players left and I was surprised they were still in the mix until recently. Girvan are still dark horses and in all honestly Clydebank seem to have come from nowhere to being favourites to go up.

3 minutes ago, supersub11 said:

...Rutherglen looked a great side in the 3/4 times I've seen them but I know they've had a lot of draws....

We drew 7 out of our first 14 games, and a lot of these games were matches that we should have won on the balance of play (e.g. away v Shettleston, away v Kilsyth, away v Renfrew, home v Yoker) but we just didn't have the killer instinct to score the winning goal in those games. In the past 11 games, though, we have found that instinct and won 9 out of 11 with only one more draw and one defeat to Shettleston in a game we dominated but fell back into the ways of the earlier season by missing lots of chances. Even two wins from those eight drawn games would have seen us in a position to control our own destiny now, but unfortunately all we can do now is hopefully win our rearranged game at Cumbernauld on Monday night and hope that the other promotion contenders slip up, which unfortunately none of them look like doing at the moment.

We drew 7 out of our first 14 games, and a lot of these games were matches that we should have won on the balance of play (e.g. away v Shettleston, away v Kilsyth, away v Renfrew, home v Yoker) but we just didn't have the killer instinct to score the winning goal in those games. In the past 11 games, though, we have found that instinct and won 9 out of 11 with only one more draw and one defeat to Shettleston in a game we dominated but fell back into the ways of the earlier season by missing lots of chances. Even two wins from those eight drawn games would have seen us in a position to control our own destiny now, but unfortunately all we can do now is hopefully win our rearranged game at Cumbernauld on Monday night and hope that the other promotion contenders slip up, which unfortunately none of them look like doing at the moment.

Tbh if use keep the squad for next season maybe add a couple more then use could have a very good season if use don't go up this season which tbh I don't think will happen we go up if we beat shettleston on sat and that only leaves Girvan who could catch us. Here's hoping they lose a game and the title is ours if not fair play Girvan.

Mon the papers

40 minutes ago, Krfc 10 said:

You sure about that? :)

Clydebank, Girvan and Petershill keep winning, and Kilsyth's goal difference means even a draw would put them above us. I don't see Kilsyth losing either of their last two games, and I also don't see them failing to win either, so I expect Kilsyth to finish above us.

First of all we need to do our bit and win on Monday night, and then there are a few scenarios which would see us finish in the top three, but they all involve surprising results.

• Clydebank could lose at home to Shettleston on Saturday (highly unlikely on current form) and we could win at Cumbernauld by enough goals to go above Clydebank.
  • Kilsyth could lose away to Blantyre tonight or at home to Irvine Vics on Saturday (unlikely against two relegated teams) and a win for us at Cumbernauld would see us finish above Kilsyth.
  • Petershill could fail to win one of their remaining two games (home v Irvine Meadow and away v Yoker) and a win for us at Cumbernauld would see us finish above Petershill.
  • Girvan could lose two of their three remaining games (home v Renfrew, home v Maryhill and away v Yoker) and a win for us at Cumbernauld would see us finish above Girvan.

I'm not daft enough to think that all of the above scenarios are going to happen, they are only the scenarios which would help us finish in the top three.

But you never know. But first and foremost we must win at Cumbernauld, if we don't then all of the above scenarios won't matter.

33 minutes ago, passbackdave said:

Tbh if use keep the squad for next season maybe add a couple more then use could have a very good season if use don't go up this season which tbh I don't think will happen...

It looks hopeful that we will hold on to most of the current squad, and I understand we are on the trail of two or three new players.

Clydebank, Girvan and Petershill keep winning, and Kilsyth's goal difference means even a draw would put them above us. I don't see Kilsyth losing either of their last two games, and I also don't see them failing to win either, so I expect Kilsyth to finish above us.
First of all we need to do our bit and win on Monday night, and then there are a few scenarios which would see us finish in the top three, but they all involve surprising results.
  • Clydebank could lose at home to Shettleston on Saturday (highly unlikely on current form) and we could win at Cumbernauld by enough goals to go above Clydebank.
  • Kilsyth could lose away to Blantyre tonight or at home to Irvine Vics on Saturday (unlikely against two relegated teams) and a win for us at Cumbernauld would see us finish above Kilsyth.
  • Petershill could fail to win one of their remaining two games (home v Irvine Meadow and away v Yoker) and a win for us at Cumbernauld would see us finish above Petershill.
  • Girvan could lose two of their three remaining games (home v Renfrew, home v Maryhill and away v Yoker) and a win for us at Cumbernauld would see us finish above Girvan.
I'm not daft enough to think that all of the above scenarios are going to happen, they are only the scenarios which would help us finish in the top three.
But you never know. But first and foremost we must win at Cumbernauld, if we don't then all of the above scenarios won't matter.

And if your Auntie had a pair of those!!!!!

I agree, Isaac when fit is a great defender and would argue that his best years are in front of him. I would love to have him back with us and am hoping that family loyalty will trump everything else, but deep down I don't see it happening. He could end up back at Talbot, stranger things have happened.

Announced as a Whitletts player tonight!

Smashing signing....now got off the division one thread TT 

Only on here to pass on the news to the teams in this division that were after him. Was never in doubt with his bro playing for us

Archived