The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2016-2017

glensmad

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit I'm surprised, I expected Yoker to get one point from their last two games, but they've lost both games and they're down.

To be fair, they've been flirting with relegation for a few years now, finishing one place above the drop zone for the past two seasons and surviving only on goal difference last year.

So the safety mark finished at 31 points, and that's been the mark for a few years now, whereas before it was up around 34 or 35.

Truly sorry for Yoker - we've lived with the threat of relegation for long enough this season to know how they must be feeling tonight - but a remarkable turnaround from our side after looking dead and buried following some terrible results the first third of the season.

#TheGreatEscape.

I'm sure the Kilsyth Rangers supporters will share the Rutherglen Glencairn fans' frustration that we both lost fewer games than the two promoted teams as well as 4th placed Petershill. It just shows you how too many draws can really hurt you.

Clydebank lost 8 games, while Kilsyth only lost 3 and Glencairn only lost 5, but Clydebank are promoted because they only drew 2 games and managed to get that extra goal in games that they looked like drawing. Their late winner v Girvan towards the end of the season kind of summed that up for me, and that result was really the beginning of the end for our own promotion hopes.

I'm sure all of the other teams will have their "what if" scenarios, but one more goal in just 3 of our 9 drawn games would have seen us automatically promoted, and one more goal in just 4 of our 9 drawn games would have seen us champions. But we didn't, so we go again in August and hope to carry our form of the second half of this season into the start of next season and hopefully challenge at the top again.

My "what if" scenario is the only two teams who took 6 points each from Peasy were the two promoted teams. "If" we had taken a draw from either of them we would've went up in their place. But as you say we can all look back on games to see our downfall. Can't wait for next season, hopefully we can go on from lessons learned this season. 

4 minutes ago, Bankies Alive said:

The two teams who won the most games went up.

Thats why 3 points for a win was brought in surely?

Absolutely, and that;s pretty much the point I was making. Too many draws really hurts you at both the top and bottom.

26 minutes ago, onemanwolfpack said:

My "what if" scenario is the only two teams who took 6 points each from Peasy were the two promoted teams. "If" we had taken a draw from either of them we would've went up in their place.

Girvan would still have finished above Petershill had one game been a draw. Girvan would have finished on 50 points and Petershill on 49.

You are correct about Clydebank though.

4 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Girvan would still have finished above Petershill had one game been a draw. Girvan would have finished on 50 points and Petershill on 49.

Nearly right but if we also didn't lose a last minute goal against the Glens it might've made a difference. As you say what if stories

1 minute ago, onemanwolfpack said:

Nearly right but if we also didn't lose a last minute goal against the Glens it might've made a difference. As you say what if stories

Ah, but it was worth watching, eh ? :thumsup2

13 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Analysing a league table on a Saturday night??? Living life to the max glensmad

5 minutes ago, Cricketbaw said:

Analysing a league table on a Saturday night??? Living life to the max glensmad

And you're on here reading it and replying to it.

I'll leave you to work out who looks the dafter, the one you've tried to ridicule, or the one who can't see the wood for the trees....

58 minutes ago, glensmad said:

And you're on here reading it and replying to it.

I'll leave you to work out who looks the dafter, the one you've tried to ridicule, or the one who can't see the wood for the trees....

:)

Archived