The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2016-2017

glensmad

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of a sudden a 7-point gap has opened up between the top of the relegation zone (Blantyre Victoria) and the place above (Yoker Athletic). The three teams in 11th, 12th and 13th do have games in hand over the four teams above them, but when you're down in that area at this time of the year games in hand don't necessarily mean a likelihood of three points.

My own team have the comfort of a 10-point cushion over the drop zone, plus we have a +9 goal difference, while none of the teams below us have a positive goal difference and some have quite dramatic negative ones. The seven draws have really hurt us in terms of a push for promotion and, had we won even just three of the seven drawn games then we would have been right in the promotion mix.

I reckon we should have won instead of drawing away to Shettleston, away to Renfrew and at home to Yoker, while our other draws were probably fair results (away to Irvine Meadow, home and away to Kilsyth and home to Petershill.) We have only lost one game out of seven to the teams currently above us (home v Clydebank), and even that was in controversial circumstances

We have ten games left, five at home and five away. We have only four games to play against the teams currently above us, and three of them are at home. Petershill are the only team above us who we have still to play away from home. Our other six matches are against teams currently in the bottom six.

However, that in itself is a danger for us. We have only lost four out of sixteen matches, but three of those defeats have been to Cumbernauld, Yoker and Shotts, so we are well aware that we can't afford to take anything for granted against the teams at the bottom, especially as we come into the time of season when they're all fighting for points to avoid the drop.

With the possibility of league reconstruction on the horizon, and along with that the possibility of next season having no relegation but four promotion places to the new top league, there is a huge incentive for all of the teams to be still be in this league next season.

Shettleston are doing well to hang in the promotion race and were well worth their win v Renfrew today to go back to the top.

Shettleston v Kilsyth Rangers next week will give an indication if 'Town still have the squad to challenge after all the departures, but after next week they will have only two home games left and six away games.

15 hours ago, glensmad said:

Shettleston are doing well to hang in the promotion race and were well worth their win v Renfrew today to go back to the top.

Shettleston v Kilsyth Rangers next week will give an indication if 'Town still have the squad to challenge after all the departures, but after next week they will have only two home games left and six away games.

I was speaking to one of the boys who left a while ago and he mentioned how bad the pitch is so that's probably not a bad thing...

I was speaking to one of the boys who left a while ago and he mentioned how bad the pitch is so that's probably not a bad thing...

It didn't look too bad yesterday, but I didn't walk across it.

Couple of big games coming up for us. Away to Clydebank and away to Irvine Vics. Meaning we will have played Blantyre, Kilsyth, Bankies and Vics twice without playing Yoker at all.

Couple of big games coming up for us. Away to Clydebank and away to Irvine Vics. Meaning we will have played Blantyre, Kilsyth, Bankies and Vics twice without playing Yoker at all.

Weve not played petershill or girvan yet stuart and weve played a few teams twice ourselves

I think all teams are in the same boat, to be fair. We've still to play Irvine Vics twice, although to be fair to Fixtures Man he did have us down to play them last Saturday but it was rained off.

Anything can happen in this league , we just scraped 3 pts against irvine vics who are currently bottom , i remember saying at the time , "a lot of teams will find it difficult to get points down here " it's not been the case as results have proven, renfrew have improved greatly from a difficult start as have irvine meadow , glencairn seem to have hit a bit of form too, yoker gave us at realy tough game at duncansfield too, the fallons have did well to keep shettleston on course still after the upheavil there , not played peasy or girvan yet , so can't comment on them ,Shotts are the poorest side we have played this season an i fear for there safety , although signing paul doyle from us might give them some much needed experience and guidance to a young backline . So all to play for at both ends of the table .

Saturday's fixtures :-

Blantyre Victoria (11th) v Rutherglen Glencairn (7th)

Clydebank (3rd) v Irvine Meadow XI (5th)

Girvan (4th) v Irvine Victoria (14th)

Petershill (6th) v Yoker Athletic (10th)

Shettleston (1st) v Kilsyth Rangers (2nd)

Shotts Bon Accord (12th) v Renfrew (8th)

No doubts about the game of the day.

Your thoughts ?

Glencairn
Meadow
Girvan
Peasy
Played well last week but will need a little more....the first fixture on the opening day was a great game to watch...hopefully more of the same....
Draw

It certainly was town , looking forward to a hard game on saturday , the fallon's have did well to keep u up there after all the upheaval with the previous managment team leaving an players too . Club still open ? Al c u saturday bud..

Archived