Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

35 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

AJ can box as many of the C list guys as he likes but it won’t prepare him for a fight with any top five guys unless he accepts he has to run the risk of getting sparked. He even said it to Steve Bunce last night that he’s apprehensive of punches coming back at him (and that was against a small guy with no power) so he won’t commit to the three or four punch combos that used to knock opponents out.

You can't fight scared.   For me Joshua as always been a puncher over a technically good boxer,  he should be playing into that rather that trying to play a game that doesn't suit him,  or at least at the highest level.   He out punched B and C grade boxers on his way up, and yes he can out box them too and take the points,  but if he's got any hope of taking the big guys on again he needs to lean into his assets as he'll never be able to take them on at their own game.  

6 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

You can't fight scared.   For me Joshua as always been a puncher over a technically good boxer,  he should be playing into that rather that trying to play a game that doesn't suit him,  or at least at the highest level.   He out punched B and C grade boxers on his way up, and yes he can out box them too and take the points,  but if he's got any hope of taking the big guys on again he needs to lean into his assets as he'll never be able to take them on at their own game.  

I think the damage Andy Ruiz done to AJ has become so obvious in recent times. He absolutely ruined AJ mentally. But fundamentally, it all comes from the lack of schooling, the lack of the hard yards, small hall professional grind on the way up. Specifically how to be hurt and not fall apart. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I think the damage Andy Ruiz done to AJ has become so obvious in recent times. He absolutely ruined AJ mentally. But fundamentally, it all comes from the lack of schooling, the lack of the hard yards, small hall professional grind on the way up. Specifically how to be hurt and not fall apart. 

Oh yes,  I think the first ruiz fight done him.   He realised he couldn't just smash everyone in his path which is fair enough, but rather than just work on his weaknesses he's now scared of using his strengths as he doesn't back himself to be able to deal with someone who can give him something back. 

Its not just the hard yards in early pro,  its the late start overall,   fury has been learning how to control distance, how to read punches, how to slip them, how to make those that do land land soft since he was in nappies,  joshua was 20 before he gave the sport a go.  That's a hell of alot of catching up to do, even when you have an incredible physique. 

Usyk started later than fury,  but still much earlier than joshua and to a lesser extent  the other known big puncher wilder,   he also had to work up through weight classes where technique is given higher importance.  

AJ is in a bit of a strange position really. He can't beat Usyk obviously. Wilder would spark him. Fury would beat him easily. Joyce would walk through him.

But he probably beats everyone else comfortably. He's now just the 5th best heavyweight in the world and I don't see that fluctuating much before retirement.

3 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Any idea why has it taken over a year for the results to be announced? 

I think he appealed it, assume that they didn't publicise it in case he got it thrown out.  Maybe there was a legal element?

Risible comments from Khan - "I'd never cheat... I lost the fight, if I knocked him out it'd be different". 

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think he appealed it, assume that they didn't publicise it in case he got it thrown out.  Maybe there was a legal element?

Risible comments from Khan - "I'd never cheat... I lost the fight, if I knocked him out it'd be different". 

Those comments really just confirmation of what we all knew..... How incredibly thick Amir Khan is

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

McGuigan/MTK issues? 

Of course, all the Kinahan fluffers like Moore, Edwards, etc straight in. 

When people moan about Jake Paul yet don't see this is the real cancer in boxing, it's so frustrating.

24 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Josh Taylor Teofimo Lopez confirmed June 10th at Madison Square Garden.  

Let’s hope Taylor screws the nut for this fight, a win over Lopez would do wonders for his profile in America, but a loss and he’s back to the UK most likely rematching Catterall for no belts. 

The weight could be a real issue, it was his excuse for looking so sluggish against Catterall that he struggled at 140 and I don’t think it will have got any easier for him 14 months down the line. Is he expected to move up to 147 after this? It would make sense for his bank account but I’m not so sure he competes with some of the names in that division.