Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

It was maybe lost in translation, but I took that as having strength, character & determination aren't enough to win fights at that level. Supreme skills were what were the difference in winning those fights (both of them) & was acknowledging that fact, in his deference to Usyk.

30 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Eddie spent the week saying they were targeting the body. Looks like the Youtube corner man worked.

Burnistoun - Body Body Body - YouTube

The corner men were telling him to work with a double jab and a big hand for about the first 6 rounds. After round 3 they also told him he’d won the first three which he clearly hadn’t. I think it was the body shot he tried and landed of his own accord in round 6 (?) that made him click what he had to do. Usyk was almost in trouble at one point from the body blows but it wasn’t enough. Usyk simply too good.

Edited by 8MileBU

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Also, need to add, as we all.knew it would be.... What a shitey venue and spectacle for a fight of this magnitude.

Fucking after dinner show. Pish.

Imagine that same main event at Wembley or the o2, it would have been mayhem. Instead you’ve got a crowd full of millionaires clapping along like they are watching Rory McIlroy hole a 6 foot putt at The Open. 

The fight didn’t go how I expected at all. I was sure that Joshua would come out throwing punches in 3s and 4s in the first couple of rounds, not allowing Usyk to set himself for counters and adopting a tactic that wouldn’t be as predictable as the first fight. Instead Joshua seemed happy to lead with the single jab, and only threw the back hand sparingly in the first few rounds. Joshua threw a lot of punches that Usyk caught on the elbows or the gloves, but because Usyk wasn’t coming back with anything eye catching I thought that the closer rounds were going to AJ. Up until round 6 it was a hard fight to score, and it was either 7 or 8 where Usyk won a round clear and never really looked in any real danger of losing it on the cards after that. 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:
I turned off after the decision, what was Joshua doing?

You missed the best part of the night. TL;DR AJ took the mic and made it all about himself. Fucking fanny.

I was watching the fight in a house with the sound down. When the fight finished I seen Joshua looking like he was leaving the arena, and I commented that it wasn’t a good look for him leaving the ring so quickly before doing any media etc. Whilst him and his team were marching for the exit it looked like someone either from the crowd or walking behind him had said something that upset him, and he stopped abruptly to turn and confront whoever/whatever it was. A few moments later while the sound was still down Joshua had a hold of two belts, and I was saying to my friend that surely this isn’t Johsua thinking he had won the fight and was holding the belts as some sort of protest. Then when we put the volume up Joshua grabbed the microphone and was praising Usyk to high heavens, with that fake ‘stay humble’ patter that Joshua rhymes off so easily. It was very strange behaviour from him and I’ve still not really got the full picture of what happened.

I don’t think I’m the only person confused with Joshua’s actions, it was an extremely strange series of events. Did Joshua not do something similar after the defeat to Ruiz, where he grabbed the microphone in the ring in order to give a speech detailing how ‘humble’ he was after the loss, how he was going to come back better than he’d ever been and going well over board with praise for Ruiz Jr? I can’t be bothered looking it up to see if that’s true but I’m almost certain he did. 

Boxers should not be allowed to have a mic so soon after a fight. I'm no AJ fan but I'm sure most of us would be blethering utter shite after being banged in the head numerous times through a gruelling scrap. I just don't like it at all.

His post fight stuff with the media was fine when they have had a little more time to digest what has happened and for the adrenaline to calm a bit.

I'd absolutely love Usyk to beat Fury as well. He's beyond parody now at this point.

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Usyk would embarrass Fury just like he's done to Joshua, shame it won't happen, Fury doesn't have the bottle. 

Of course he has. The fight will happen.

Fury is an utter clown but the narrative he's scared of Usyk, or any other boxer, is just utter drivel in all honesty. 

The fact that Fury was refused entry last time he tried to go to the USA, due to his links with the Kinahan Cartel, might be a spanner in the works for any further fights. Maybe they’ll do it in Saudi again or Warren might try to put it on at Wembley.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

Usyk would embarrass Fury just like he's done to Joshua, shame it won't happen, Fury doesn't have the bottle. 

Not sure about this. Furys stamina, punch variety, jab, and most importantly footwork and effective use of size are all levels above AJ. I can't pick against Fury there mush as I want to. It's Fury 10 times out of 10 for me. 

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

If you genuinely believe that then I’m sorry to say but, you don’t know shit about boxing. 

Fury would be a different beast to AJ, and any other heavyweight Usyk has fought so far. Go back and rewatch last nights fight and count how many times Joshua switched the angle after a 1-2, or used feints to entice Usyk into throwing a punch, or used his footwork to get out of range and stop Usyk from countering. I’ve only watched the fight once but I would be quite confident in saying that you could count how many times AJ done any of that on one hand. If you keep your on eye Usyk though, he’s slipping punches, dipping under hooks, moving his head off line, landing 1-2s and moving out of range or switching the angle up for another attack.

AJ is very limited when it comes to these basic boxing skills, and Usyk is operating on a level much higher than him, and it showed last night. Tyson Fury is a genuine heavyweight who can operate at a level similar to Usyk, if not better. He has an extremely awkward style where he is constantly feinting, constantly moving, constantly finding gaps to put 3, 4, 5 punches together. He’s hard to hit, and we’ve seen from the Wilder fights that even when he does go down heavy he can get back up, and Usyk doesn’t punch harder than Wilder. If Fury fights Usyk any time in the next 6 months I would have good money on Fury winning a decision by a very, very wide margin.