Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I know. Its a massive PITA tbh but lets face it, that publicity is why he did it. 

I think Fury doesn't mention AJ just to get under AJ's skin. 

If AJ beats Usyk, its absolutely enormous. The Eddie/Sky hype train will see to that. Its big anyway tbh, and aye, Fury must be rooting like f**k for AJ to win. More money, more needle, easier sell, as big a crowd as you can physically fit wherever you want.......

It’s probably a moot point as I don’t see AJ winning the Usyk rematch anyway, although I am looking forward to seeing what kind of style he adopts under Robert Garcia. 

I know. Its a massive PITA tbh but lets face it, that publicity is why he did it. 
I think Fury doesn't mention AJ just to get under AJ's skin. 
If AJ beats Usyk, its absolutely enormous. The Eddie/Sky hype train will see to that. Its big anyway tbh, and aye, Fury must be rooting like f**k for AJ to win. More money, more needle, easier sell, as big a crowd as you can physically fit wherever you want.......
Just as an aside, announced this week that Joshua's future fights will be exclusive to DAZN so can't see sky hyping him so much in the future.

Josh Kelly on the undercard of Nathan Gorman on Channel 5 tonight. He must be disappointed with how his career has panned out so far, there was a time a few years ago when Hearn would have had you believing him and Lewis Ritson were going to be the next best thing in British boxing. He does only have one defeat on his record but it was a bad knockout at the hands of Avanesyan, who isn’t really world level himself. 

Boxing must be one of the most cut throat sports where one bad performance can genuinely ruin a career. I’m not particularly relating this to Kelly but it just highlights how much of a set back it can be to take a defeat at crucial times in your career. If Kelly had won well against Avanesyan it would be him getting spoken about for Conor Benn etc., and pushing towards world titles. Instead he’s fighting on Channel 5 on Nathan Gormans undercard :lol: 

12 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Fury has been denied entry to America due to his links to the Kinahan cartel. The FBI might retire him.

Doesn't seem likely considering far and away the biggest money for Fury is at Wembley

20 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Doesn't seem likely considering far and away the biggest money for Fury is at Wembley

It depends how much they much they want to f**k him. The way sanctions work is to stop people doing business with you eg US sanctions prevent third countries from trading with Russia, Venezuela or Iran.

13 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Beterbiev destroys Smith Jnr inside 2 rounds.  Fighting Yarde next apparently, but really hope he fights Bivol at some point. 

The highlights are absolutely brutal. Smith is an entertaining fighter but very loose and he got a lesson.  

Bivol will surely be thinking take the easy money versus Canelo then fight Beterbiev. 

55 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The highlights are absolutely brutal. Smith is an entertaining fighter but very loose and he got a lesson.  

Bivol will surely be thinking take the easy money versus Canelo then fight Beterbiev. 

Beterbiev will dispatch Yarde with ease, so hopefully the Bivol fight will come after he’s dealt with canelo again. 

On 18/06/2022 at 17:07, Detournement said:

Fury has been denied entry to America due to his links to the Kinahan cartel. The FBI might retire him.

Not seen much in the press about this story, I'd have thought it would've been big news.

The Sunday World crime team put out a podcast about the story, it's mainly just a rehash of the whole MTK timeline but one thing they did say was that a senior Irish policeman had said that there are 600 named individuals involved with the Kinahans who are affected, Fury is obviously one of them.  It was reported elsewhere that Matthew Macklin was previously refused entry - he partnered with Kinahan in MTK intially so it's perhaps not surprising he's been affected.  

Fury has only had Kinahan as an advisor, officially, but attended Kinahan's wedding and was photographed with him.  I wonder if Josh Taylor, who was also advised by Kinahan, might also be affected by this.  Billy Joe Saunders is another boxer who was close to Kinahan.  If Fury has been sanctioned then these guys must be in the firing line as well.

Adam Azim out again last night. Shane McGuigan maybe does it as a wee dig at Taylor but consistently says he’s the best fighter he has ever worked with. Wonder if he will stay a career super lightweight as he has a big frame. 

On 24/06/2022 at 16:24, ICTChris said:

Not seen much in the press about this story, I'd have thought it would've been big news.

The Sunday World crime team put out a podcast about the story, it's mainly just a rehash of the whole MTK timeline but one thing they did say was that a senior Irish policeman had said that there are 600 named individuals involved with the Kinahans who are affected, Fury is obviously one of them.  It was reported elsewhere that Matthew Macklin was previously refused entry - he partnered with Kinahan in MTK intially so it's perhaps not surprising he's been affected.  

Fury has only had Kinahan as an advisor, officially, but attended Kinahan's wedding and was photographed with him.  I wonder if Josh Taylor, who was also advised by Kinahan, might also be affected by this.  Billy Joe Saunders is another boxer who was close to Kinahan.  If Fury has been sanctioned then these guys must be in the firing line as well.

I’m actually surprised that Macklin has got such an easy ride from the media over this so far. He was the puppet owner of MTK, previously Macklins Gym Marbella, and has been photographed with Kinahan and other well known Irish gangsters multiple times over the years. He’s called Kinahan one of his best friends in previous interviews, but unless I’ve missed it hasn’t spoken a word on the matter since the American authorities slapped the $5 million bounties on the Kinahans heads. He’s still employed as a commentator on Sky even though he was refused entry to the USA a few weeks ago, so the American authorities must have something on him.

It’s a tricky subject for the boxing fraternity to bring up, because it seems near enough all of them were happy to play along with the ‘legitimate businessman, great for boxing’ patter, fully aware of what Kinahan was involved in but either too scared to say it, or happy to look the other way while the money was getting pumped in.

I’m actually surprised that Macklin has got such an easy ride from the media over this so far. He was the puppet owner of MTK, previously Macklins Gym Marbella, and has been photographed with Kinahan and other well known Irish gangsters multiple times over the years. He’s called Kinahan one of his best friends in previous interviews, but unless I’ve missed it hasn’t spoken a word on the matter since the American authorities slapped the $5 million bounties on the Kinahans heads. He’s still employed as a commentator on Sky even though he was refused entry to the USA a few weeks ago, so the American authorities must have something on him.

It’s a tricky subject for the boxing fraternity to bring up, because it seems near enough all of them were happy to play along with the ‘legitimate businessman, great for boxing’ patter, fully aware of what Kinahan was involved in but either too scared to say it, or happy to look the other way while the money was getting pumped in.
You have to imagine aswell as the money and "advice" there was a sprinkling of "you know what could happen if you don't play along" at least implied.

You have to imagine aswell as the money and "advice" there was a sprinkling of "you know what could happen if you don't play along" at least implied.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/boutrage-chaos-erupts-scots-fight-27333123

I thought MTK had ceased trading? Or is this a different body unwise enough to have the same branding? Not a good look obviously

55 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/boutrage-chaos-erupts-scots-fight-27333123

I thought MTK had ceased trading? Or is this a different body unwise enough to have the same branding? Not a good look obviously

I believe they have kept the MTK name for their gyms only, and it’s the promotional side of the business that has folded. I’m unsure why they are using the MTK branding for events like the one quoted though, maybe someone trying to use the name to sell more tickets. 

I made a post earlier that I deleted, as it named a couple of people involved in Scottish boxing that have had a bit of a fall out. The article below doesn’t go in to too much detail but let’s you know who I mean. There’s a lot more to it than what’s been written, but it’s a bit too close to home to go in to more detail. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/boxing-hero-gary-jacobs-breaks-27091758.amp 

I know a guy who was involved on Saturday and he says MTK weren't involved, and thats why it was a shambles. Said the organisers that took it over from the previously competent MTK ones were useless and made a rip roaring c**t of it.