Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

12 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

I’m not sure I even understand what I’m watching here. How Chisora has got back up from those knockdowns, how he’s putting together monster flurries, how he’a just not unconscious, genuinely have no idea. Insane fight.

Noticed he walks straight to the corner after a knockdown and covers up. I remember watching a video of his sparring before the Takam fight I think, and he was doing full sessions with his back on the ropes, he comes alive when he’s backed up like that. 

Edit - Howard Foster was about a tenth of a second away from stopping that before Chisora punched his way out the corner. Would be silly to stop this fight, if Chisora is standing up then he still has a chance. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

This must be like a bad dream for Parker. I honestly would not be surprised if Del Boy lands one of those wild overhand rights and takes Parker’s head off. 

If he does, it’ll be the human equivalent of the Simpson’s episode where Homer discovers he can’t be knocked out, so just let’s his opponent punch himself to exhaustion before pushing him over.

Fair play to Homer Chisora. No idea how he’s still standing.

Chisora is such a weird boxer, everything he should do he doesn't and just stands there and gets hit. Fun to watch but it must be brutal on his body.

1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

Someone needs to explain those cards to me. Thought Parker won basically every round and knocked him down 3 times emoji23.png

I’m just trying to work them out here myself as I didn’t hear them getting announced. 114-112, if my calculations are correct, means a judge has scored that 7-5 in rounds in favour of Chisora. Is that right?

If so that is another absolutely shocking display from the officials. You would be generous to score that 11-1, I can’t even think of a round to give Chisora though as Parker was on it from the first bell. Chisora had his moments undoubtedly, but he didn’t put together any sustained pressure that lasted more than 30 seconds, and when he did it came immediately after Parker had been boxing his head across the ring or knocking him to the canvas. 

Slightly off topic, but does anyone on here know the reason for UK referees making some sort of signal to the camera, just as the MC is announcing their name at the start of the fight. Terry O Connor always rubs his right ear lobe, Bob Williams scratches under his left eye and Howard Foster does something strange with his hands. There’s nothing on Google to explain it apart from an old Reddit thread, but a lot of people have noticed it and there doesn’t seem to be an explanation. 

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

Was it Foster with the fast count last week, as I was trying to see how long he gave Del the first time, but didn't have ability to replay it.
I did think the 3rd KD was a push, even after him eating a shot.

Foster done the Cordina fight last week, it was Bob Williams who refereed Benn-Algeiri. Ive said before I don’t have a lot of love for any of the current officials, possibly Victor Loughlin being the only one from the current crop that you could say is a good referee, although he’s had his moments. 

Bit of a rant but the worst, and most dangerous, is Bob Williams. Next time he’s in the ring for a fight your watching, take notice of how many times he will grab or slap a fighters gloves or arms when they are up close instead of calling ‘break’ or ‘stop punching’. Im waiting for the day he pulls or grabs at a fighters arm and the opponent comes through the space and cleans the guy out.
My personal trainer is a BBBofC licensed official, and has refereed on the undercard of Taylor and Burns in recent years as well as many small hall shows. He says pulling or grabbing at the fighters while the fight is live goes against what they are taught to do. Contact between the referee and the fighters should be at an absolute minimum during the fight, and the only acceptable way it can happen is when the ref has already called for the fighters to break or stop punching, and needs to physically get in between them and split them apart.

If a fighter is doing something illegal with his arms then you shout ‘break’, allow them to take a step back and when your happy start boxing. What you don’t do is see something illegal and decide to take it upon yourself to physically move the arm away, at the same time the opponent could legally land a punch that KOs you or worse. I’ve never refereed a boxing bout, but does that not just seem so obvious to people on here? If I seen refereeing like that at a white collar show I would be annoyed by it, so it’s astounding to see a referee doing it at this level. 

Go to 5.05 in this video to see a recent example of this stupidity I’m talking about. I’m surprised you don’t hear more of the fighters talking about it as well, the last thing you need when your standing in front of a guy who wants to knock you spark out is someone pulling at your arm. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

That 114-112 scorecard is an absolute disgrace. That has to be investigated any human  being giving Chisora more rounds than Parker in that fight, even outwith the knockdowns, should be put out their misery. Chisora was a punchbag for pretty much the full fight. 

Andy Lee was saying they couldn't get an Aussie/NZ judge over due to covid, European referees were put to him but he said he was happy to go with British judges as they are some of the best in the world. He will have to re-evaluate that moving forward. The British judges are as bad, if not worse, than anywhere else in the world in the last few years.

I’m just trying to work them out here myself as I didn’t hear them getting announced. 114-112, if my calculations are correct, means a judge has scored that 7-5 in rounds in favour of Chisora. Is that right?
If so that is another absolutely shocking display from the officials. You would be generous to score that 11-1, I can’t even think of a round to give Chisora though as Parker was on it from the first bell. Chisora had his moments undoubtedly, but he didn’t put together any sustained pressure that lasted more than 30 seconds, and when he did it came immediately after Parker had been boxing his head across the ring or knocking him to the canvas. 

Slightly off topic, but does anyone on here know the reason for UK referees making some sort of signal to the camera, just as the MC is announcing their name at the start of the fight. Terry O Connor always rubs his right ear lobe, Bob Williams scratches under his left eye and Howard Foster does something strange with his hands. There’s nothing on Google to explain it apart from an old Reddit thread, but a lot of people have noticed it and there doesn’t seem to be an explanation. 
I am a bit confused by this but it actually looks like he scored it 6 rounds each. Obviously Parker has a base of 108 and the 6 rounds give him 114.

This is where it is really confusing. So Chisora has his base of 108 and if he won 6 rounds it would be 114 but two points lost for two knockdowns. But wait a minute there was 3 knockdowns in the fight. So does that suggest that one of the ko rounds was scored a 10/9 instead of a 10/8?. Also more mental is that if Parker hadn't knocked him down three times by my calculations that judge would have scored that fight 115 - 113 to Chisora as that 10/9 knockdown round would have become a 10/9 in Chisora favour.

I might be wrong and happy to be corrected but that's the only way I can see a fight with 3 knockdowns ending 112-114

Watching the Beterbiev fight, both fighter's cut off a clash if heads in the 4th. Beterbiev's was an horrendous gash in his forehead. Knocked his opponent down in the 7th & stopped him in the 9th.
How it ever went into the 5th is beyond me.

Tyron Woodleys humiliation is certainly complete.

Him taking an absolute freeby right on the chin because he utterly shat himself from the prospect of a wee jab to the body should really put the tin lid on anyone calling this shit boxing

It wont of course.

But it should.

Says a lot that, whilst Whyte stopped Chisora during another war, Haye sparked him with a single shot.
Whyte sparked him with a left hook did he not?
Read what I said. Whyte stopped Chisora after 23 rounds. Haye did it in 5.

• 2 weeks later...