Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

9 hours ago, kiddy said:

AIBA Men's World Boxing Championships: Scotland's Reese Lynch through to semi-finals - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/boxing/59151774

Comes up short in a close affair. Took two standing counts, after clean shots, but sat his Turkish opponent on his bum.

Lost 2-1 on 3 cards, but how the Sri Lankan & Moroccan judges had it 3-0 was beyond me.

Bit of a beanpole Southpaw, but looks a good prospect for the Commy Games & Olympics being only 19.

Anyone seeing anything but a Canelo victory tonight? I’ve never seen Plant box live but I’ve watched some highlight footage and he looks like a pretty slick operator, gets in and out of range well but apparently lacks power. 

Not really, no. Quite similar to BJS. Good boxer, but won’t be able to keep Canelo off him. Would imagine a late stoppage would be a good bet for all those gambling men out there.

ETA: just put the BT Sport card on. Nathan Heaney has just stopped a boy that was getting battered, but wouldn’t stop showboating and doing Ali shuffles. Got stopped 20 seconds after doing his last one. Crowd were chanting “you’re fucking shit” at him. Absolutely bizarre.

Not really, no. Quite similar to BJS. Good boxer, but won’t be able to keep Canelo off him. Would imagine a late stoppage would be a good bet for all those gambling men out there.

ETA: just put the BT Sport card on. Nathan Heaney has just stopped a boy that was getting battered, but wouldn’t stop showboating and doing Ali shuffles. Got stopped 20 seconds after doing his last one. Crowd were chanting “you’re fucking shit” at him. Absolutely bizarre.
That Bosnian boy had a really weird style. I felt sorry that he didn't have his own team, and so a couple of Irish guys were doing his corner with the help of a translater.

The very definition of a journeyman. Certainly hung about for a while.

He caught heaney in the first round a belter but it made no impact. That's got to break your spirit right there.

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

I actually think he will win by late stoppage as well but I’ve stuck money on Canelo rounds 1-3 at 8-1, incase he is as angry as he says he is about Plants remarks towards his mother that he comes out and brutalises him early. 

Galahad's missed the weight for his 1st defence.[emoji44]

The strain'll be written all over his face right now.[emoji37][emoji37][emoji37][emoji90]

[emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Made it at 2nd attempt, half a pound inside.

That main event is garbage like. Game changed indeed.

Canelo moving up to Cruiserweight to try to take the WBC belt off Ilunga Makabu. In two minds about it, on the one hand it's obviously incredible that a guy who has just unified the super middleweight division - and was originally a welterweight who won his first title at light-middle - is jumping two divisions (and a 32lb weight difference) to try and get a world title in a fifth weight division. On the other hand though, I can't help thinking he wouldn't be making this decision if it was a Breidis or Dorticos holding the WBC. The best name on Makabu's resume is Tony Bellew, who sparked him. He has a fair bit of power, and will obviously have a significant size advantage, but from memory, he was very one-dimensional, and I could see Canelo boxing rings round him.

On balance though, and considering he's fought four times this year as well, it's a big "fair play" from me. 

Canelo moving up to Cruiserweight to try to take the WBC belt off Ilunga Makabu. In two minds about it, on the one hand it's obviously incredible that a guy who has just unified the super middleweight division - and was originally a welterweight who won his first title at light-middle - is jumping two divisions (and a 32lb weight difference) to try and get a world title in a fifth weight division. On the other hand though, I can't help thinking he wouldn't be making this decision if it was a Breidis or Dorticos holding the WBC. The best name on Makabu's resume is Tony Bellew, who sparked him. He has a fair bit of power, and will obviously have a significant size advantage, but from memory, he was very one-dimensional, and I could see Canelo boxing rings round him.
On balance though, and considering he's fought four times this year as well, it's a big "fair play" from me. 

Are you thinking he does this before 21 is out? May 22 Im hearing, which means 3 this year and probably makes 22 a 2 fight year.

Im not keen unless he intends to grab that belt then unify at Cruiser. Makabu is a soft touch, which admittedly is as much a comment on Alvarez abilities as Makabus.

Hes 31 now Canelo, at 2 fights a year till retirement, whats the wishlist? Id take 1 more v GGG although I think Canelo steamrolls him now. After that, Benavidez to close the book on 168. Beterbiev at 75, then Breidis at Cruiser.

Thats 4 fights. Whats your 4 fight path?